Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 weeks South of France

There's the South of France and then there's the South of France. For a large part it depends on what you want to do and what you like and don't like.

You could for example consider Tarn-et-Garonne region as your destination. You will have good waether for sure, but not the (numbers of) tourists that you will encounter on the Mediteranean coast or the southern part of the West-coast.

When you are based in Tarn-et-Garonne you have the beautiful rivers Tarn, Garonne and Aveyron closeby. For swimming and other watersports/activities. There's a gazillion of lovely, typical French villages. Montauban and Villefranche-de-Rouergue are great places to visit. Toulouse is closeby if you are in desperate need for a big city. The Food, like almost everywhere in France, is great. You're surrounded by nature, so hiking and mountainbiking, etc will not be a problem at all. The only thing you will not have... is the sea. Which in my experience means less annoying tourists and being able to forget that you yourself are indeed a tourist as well ;-)

Alternatively you could consider Cevennes. Also a lovely and more quiet destination
Thanks a lot of food thought here will be definitely researching the places you recommended, much appreciated

We’re heading of to France today 23rd, stopping at Châtel 1st todo mtb trails then on to grimaud bit of beach,walking & mtb then up to annacy lovely big lake. We’ve got 2weeks as well hope this give you some ideas

I will have a look at the first place you recommended. As for Annecy probably one of our favourite destinations in the whole of Europe along with Cham. We are looking for some beach time as well, so appreciate the recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur / avoid Côte d’Azur.

I’m biased, as we have a place there, but Aquitaine is a lovely area. Proper SW France. Languedoc wine is incredible value and no longer a bulk vin de table - had some serious investment over the last few years.

Cathar castles, Canal du Midi, Pyrenees, Colliure near the Spanish border.

Don’t take my word for it, the Telegraph (I know a sinful word around these parts, but good travel writers), rated it number 1 of France’s 11 Departments to visit.

St Jean de Luz is gorgeous as well. Amazing Basque food & textiles etc. - the drive to Aquitaine over the Pyrenees is one of the world’s great drives IMHO.

Not overcrowded like Stelvio etc. just lovely, quiet sweeping billiard smooth empty roads.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Although we are set on going to the south of France it seems many of you want to talk us out of it. Some great recommendations amongst them, Annecy.

We have been to the Atlantic coast and San Sebastián, we have also been to Chamonix and Annecy and love them both. I spent many happy years climbing in Cham and Annecy is one of our favourite places although we have found the beaches around the lake are not dog friendly. For those that have not been Annecy is stunning with loads to do and I also would highly recommend.

My interest of Cevennes has definitely been peaked (thanks Thomashj) as has the Pyrenees that so many of you recommended. We have been close to the Pyrenees but not to them.

We are hoping though that Nice, Monaco, St Tropez coast will be a lot quieter the first two weeks in September and having seen some of the stunning hidden beaches you can hike to we are still keen to go despite most of you warning us off it

Appreciate all the advise and comments thanks everyone and happy ing

Hi Woz. We are currently just outside St Tropez having come via Switzerland, Annecy, Verdon Gorge, stopping at 7 sites on the way down. We take a similar broad route every year, always in August and via Alps to St Tropez area.

The traffic is awful. The roads are a state. The services are disgusting. However once you leave the UK all of that should be behind you. We’ve never had a problem with traffic, overcrowding, etc. such as those described earlier in this thread.

Coming in September will be great. Cooler but still warm air and sea/lakes. That was always my favourite time to come before we were limited to school holidays.

Hope you have a great time!

Hi Woz. We are currently just outside St Tropez having come via Switzerland, Annecy, Verdon Gorge, stopping at 7 sites on the way down. We take a similar broad route every year, always in August and via Alps to St Tropez area.

The traffic is awful. The roads are a state. The services are disgusting. However once you leave the UK all of that should be behind you. We’ve never had a problem with traffic, overcrowding, etc. such as those described earlier in this thread.

Coming in September will be great. Cooler but still warm air and sea/lakes. That was always my favourite time to come before we were limited to school holidays.

Hope you have a great time!
Hi Winston, thanks for the reply. Had to read the bit about terrible roads, services etc twice before the penny dropped that you were talking about the UK
A very good point how much worse could the south of France be?

I have read a few more posts along with yours that makes me think it’s worth visiting at least once. Likely try Cassis, drive the Napoleon route and avoid the crowded beaches for smaller callanques.

Thanks for the advise and reassurance

Hi Winston, thanks for the reply. Had to read the bit about terrible roads, services etc twice before the penny dropped that you were talking about the UK
A very good point how much worse could the south of France be?

I have read a few more posts along with yours that makes me think it’s worth visiting at least once. Likely try Cassis, drive the Napoleon route and avoid the crowded beaches for smaller callanques.

Thanks for the advise and reassurance
Like the bit about uk , how right you are. We left uk on 23rd August traffic nightmare till we got to Calais then plain sailing, made are way down to port Grimaud set up for one night,next day had phone call to say both our cars have been stolen so packed up & drove straight home17hrs & 900 miles with out stopping, traffic in France no problem as soon as we hit uk night mare, why can’t we cope with traffic &road works?
Enjoy France