Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 T6.1 Ocean Fuel Consumption

Don’t go by the MFD it’s never accurate.
My 2017 204 averaged 27-33mpg over the 50k miles I drove it.

Personally, I was more than happy with the fuel consumption.

Any extreme 40plus mpg readings is pure nonsense unless it’s a super disciplined drive over the continent.
Enjoy the drive :cool:

I just checked my records. In April 2019 I managed a 36.63
Then a few weeks later managed an impressive 23…:headbang
Must’ve been in a rush

Average speed and the gentleness of your driving is a major factor. Driving my 150PS DSG at 75mph on the motorway costs me nearly 7mpg over driving at 65mph. I get nearly 45mpg average on a long run with a small trailer attached, probably because I'm more conscious of the speed when towing, and try to keep the drive smoother.

Some years ago I owned a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Diesel. A veritable rocket-ship of a rep-mobile. I used to travel to Ringwood from my home (mixed driving) on a regular basis. If I drove it normally I'd get high 30s average mpg. One time I tried driving super-frugally, avoiding braking, accelerating only very slowly, trying to anticipate traffic lights and other road conditions....and achieved 68mpg on the trip....:bananadance2

....The next week I drove it like I stole it, got single digit mpg, and needed a change of underwear and a lie-down when I arrived! o_O

Average speed and the gentleness of your driving is a major factor. Driving my 150PS DSG at 75mph on the motorway costs me nearly 7mpg over driving at 65mph. I get nearly 45mpg average on a long run with a small trailer attached, probably because I'm more conscious of the speed when towing, and try to keep the drive smoother.

Some years ago I owned a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Diesel. A veritable rocket-ship of a rep-mobile. I used to travel to Ringwood from my home (mixed driving) on a regular basis. If I drove it normally I'd get high 30s average mpg. One time I tried driving super-frugally, avoiding braking, accelerating only very slowly, trying to anticipate traffic lights and other road conditions....and achieved 68mpg on the trip....:bananadance2

....The next week I drove it like I stole it, got single digit mpg, and needed a change of underwear and a lie-down when I arrived! o_O
Forgot that it is 60MPH with a trailer?
Had a Police car come alongside me when doing 62MPH on M5 and signed me to ease off until doing 60MPH then got a thumbs up.

I haven't done it scientifically but anecdotally a bike rack will cost ~ 4mpg. There's also a hit primarily on tyre width. The rolling diameter of your tyres might also give you an indication error -- my speedo overreads a little.
Really? 4mpg? That makes me consider taking mine off but then that would stop any spur of moment bike trip!!

Forgot that it is 60MPH with a trailer?
Had a Police car come alongside me when doing 62MPH on M5 and signed me to ease off until doing 60MPH then got a thumbs up.
Ticket MW10. Trailer in the 3rd lane also a slap on the wrist regardless of speed…….so a mate tells me!

I think @chockswahay had some long term data that backs this number up. I reckon I can put my rack back on in 15 minutes or so.
I did but I can’t find it now….. yup it seemed to be around 3 to 4 mpg difference which I will admit was a surprise and difficult to believe had I not seen it myself.

As for overall mpg I agree with @Loz2286 it is more about smooth and steady speed control and a ‘tempered’ driving style. As for life being too short to worry….. well at 65 I hope to live a long while yet and I also like to preserve my cash so for me I am very happy to limit my cruising speed to 60 mph……. The fuel saving on our regular trips to Cornwall amounts to around £70 each round trip…… that for me is a huge reward :thumb :D

I took delivery of my Cali Ocean in August 22, and I feel the fuel consumption has slowly declined. It has now covered 4000 miles, is a 150 auto and has 20”wheels.

What size tyres are they?

On two of my previous vans the difference between 215 wide 17" and 255 18" was 5mpg, if your 20" are wider still I would expect a further drop.

If the tyres are also a larger overall diameter, it will change the accuracy of your trip meter - a 5% difference would equate to a a couple of MPG difference being calculated but not actually being incurred.

Cold weather makes a large difference as the engine heater comes on automatically below 5 degrees.

Wind can be a huge factor, a 20mph headwind means you use the same fuel doing 70mph as you would doing 90mph on a still day.

Using the night heater makes a difference as its fuel used but not included in the vans own mpg calculations.

DPF regions seem to use loads of fuel as well.

My previous 204 varied from low 40s to low 20s mpg & quite often I was surprised by the consumption figures sometimes in a good way.

Really? 4mpg? That makes me consider taking mine off but then that would stop any spur of moment bike trip!!
4 MPG LESS WITH AN "EMPTY " BIKE RACK!
Is that with a 150 or a 204?
We have one mainly because it makes a Cali look right. More a camper rather than just a Transporter, if you know what I mean, and it's only about the price of a Chrome Pack. Ours only gets occasional use for bikes, but a lot of use to dry washing on. I think it's got to be removed in the future.

Now what about the awning? How much does that reduce the mpg?

150 in my case. I'd expect the same result with a 204 as it should be proportional to total drag.

It needs someone to test it properly. In my case I have a route I've done often at the same speed with and without an empty rack. But to test properly you'd need to top the tank record speed and distance etc. I saw enough to consider the rack a significant cost to drag around and removed it.

Good question, I was thinking about taking it off in the winter to save fuel but wondering if it's worth the effort.
I've often wondered as when I ordered my T6 it was given as being in the lower VED Band (by the Dealer and VW info) than it was registered as.
Got nowhere with VW on the issue other than at the time Awning was an optional extra and that it upped the emission figure given by the Factory which led to the VED hike.

Thanks, this is really helpful, I have heard of the regen increases fuel consumption, and due to frequent short journeys it’s not helping, especially in cold weather. More good runs are required.

Similar use of T6 150 dsg at 4 years old as daily driver with short journeys and longer runs n the camping season April to October.

All fills are brim full and consistently about 1.5 to 2 mpg less than the dash display for each tank full over 8,000 miles 9 months

Michelin Cross Climate 2 235/55/R17

A433B8C0-80B7-446F-ABCE-D9A84D36D2D6.jpeg

App Store

No exact equivalent on android

Similar use of T6 150 dsg at 4 years old as daily driver with short journeys and longer runs n the camping season April to October.

All fills are brim full and consistently about 1.5 to 2 mpg less than the dash display for each tank full over 8,000 miles 9 months

Michelin Cross Climate 2 235/55/R17

View attachment 103696
My consumption using the exact same method. My average is 1.5 mpg better than the dash display.

21352667-6A81-4047-92B3-7E74AACF5911.jpeg

Any extreme 40plus mpg readings is pure nonsense unless it’s a super disciplined drive over the continent.
Enjoy the drive :cool:
Six times I have had a brim to brim MPG of over 40 MPG

13 March 2018; 1009 km trip; 40.05 mpg; fully packed car, 4 people plus 4 bikes on bike rack
16 April 2018; 871 km trip; 40.57 mpg; fully packed car, 4 people plus 4 bikes on bike rack
28 June 2018; 1062 km trip; 40.47 mpg; fully packed car, 4 people plus 4 bikes on bike rack
26 November 2018; 1083 km trip; 41.69 mpg; entirely in the UK
3 July 2021; 1103 km trip; 43.16 mpg; entirely in the UK
6 December 2021; 951 km trip; 40.81 mpg; entirely in the UK

My consumption using the exact same method. My average is 1.5 mpg better than the dash display.

View attachment 103700

Think it’s flat around Ely. Try Cumbria and see if it returns 37.5. (Sorry my emojis are not working :) unless I type the : ) when they do ?)

Diesel heater usage needs to be factored in as the dash display cannot record this consumption.

Last edited:
I think @chockswahay had some long term data that backs this number up. I reckon I can put my rack back on in 15 minutes or so.
That's pretty good, it used to take me longer to put 3 Thule bike bars on my car. Easy enough to do on your own or worth getting help? (ps I am guessing the 4mpg figure was for an empty rack?)

4 MPG LESS WITH AN "EMPTY " BIKE RACK!
We have one mainly because it makes a Cali look right. More a camper rather than just a Transporter, if you know what I mean, and it's only about the price of a Chrome Pack. Ours only gets occasional use for bikes, but a lot of use to dry washing on. I think it's got to be removed in the future.

Now what about the awning? How much does that reduce the mpg?
Just taken mine off for the first time, very easy (although one of the bottom clamps needed a small hand to help it release), was surprised by how light it was when I lifted it off but that should help with getting it back on!

Agree with you about the "look" without it on, definitely more camper when fitted.

Am doing 1600k round trip to Alps next weekend though so be interesting to see the mpg

Think it’s flat around Ely. Try Cumbria and see if it returns 37.5. (Sorry my emojis are not working :) unless I type the : ) when they do ?)

Diesel heater usage needs to be factored in as the dash display cannot record this consumption.
Diesel heater isn't a contributing factor to mpg. Fuel overall cost - yes.

Diesel heater isn't a contributing factor to mpg. Fuel overall cost - yes.
If you are using a Fill to Fill fuel use for your calculation then I would suggest it is if you have been using your Parking Heater during that period, not if you are just using the MFD calculated mpg.

If you are using a Fill to Fill fuel use for your calculation then I would suggest it is if you have been using your Parking Heater during that period, not if you are just using the MFD calculated mpg.
That would entail knowing how much fuel was consumed by the Parking Heater for an accurate MPG figure to be obtained,
Might be at cross purposes here ??