Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dpf regeneration appears to have stopped.

R

Resfeber

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone else had this?
Got quite used to the “Hovercraft” simulation every 2 hours of runtime, the increased fuel consumption and change in performance as part of the forced dpf regeneration cycle
However, for the last 2 to 3 months this has been absent.
My Ocean is my daily driver and unfortunately I have had mostly short runs of 4 miles there and 7 hours later 4 miles back over the last month and the engine just makes normal running temp.
The van had a full service 10 hours of runtime ago with no observations or queries.
Only other issue is fuel consumption is down (mfd usually 38 mpg but now 33/34 but as this is my first winter it may be just normal reduction due to cold running and reduced efficiency.
Thoughts appreciated

Anyone else had this?
Got quite used to the “Hovercraft” simulation every 2 hours of runtime, the increased fuel consumption and change in performance as part of the forced dpf regeneration cycle
However, for the last 2 to 3 months this has been absent.
My Ocean is my daily driver and unfortunately I have had mostly short runs of 4 miles there and 7 hours later 4 miles back over the last month and the engine just makes normal running temp.
The van had a full service 10 hours of runtime ago with no observations or queries.
Only other issue is fuel consumption is down (mfd usually 38 mpg but now 33/34 but as this is my first winter it may be just normal reduction due to cold running and reduced efficiency.
Thoughts appreciated
When you had the service, any software updates done?

seems to me theres a bit of a theme emerging here after a VW service .

That is on my radar but cannot get a response from service dept to confirm.
Unfortunately is does match up with period after warranty work in Nov ( will PM details)

Can’t be a good thing. Not having any regens...???

If the engine is calibrated to reduce soot then it will produce more NOx so will need to use more Adblue. The reduction in soot means fewer regenerations are needed

If the engine is calibrated to reduce soot then it will produce more NOx so will need to use more Adblue. The reduction in soot means fewer regenerations are needed
The change has been significant suggesting that the vehicle has had a software update which has changed the dynamics of the DPF system on my vehicle and possibly increasing fuel consumption as well as AdBlue consumption.
For me last year was consistently 4,500 miles per 10 litres of AdBlue and average 38 mpg on MFD over 10000 miles.
Cannot see this being achieve over next 10000 based on last few months.
The most marked change is No Noises, smells, increased engine speed and fan run on after switching off for 3 months now whereas before was an almost weekly feature.
Will post updates as and when they happen.
No dpf saturation warning light yet (page 319 of T6 manual

I had some warranty work done a few weeks back.
I refused the update and have all the issues listed above. Regen every few days, fan over run etc etc.
Will be interesting to see how this update affects each vehicle...

I find the VW re-gen and consumption behaviour strange in comparison to what I'm used to.
I'm still pre-update, 26 month old, 150 DSG, T6 Ocean and here is my experience so far.
1) The frequency of the regen is probably happening on the 2 hours and typically still in progress when my journey finishes (very annoying to hear the fans etc so often). My commutes are 22 miles each way, surely it shouldn't be too difficult to schedule while moving somehow? (the gear box learns your driving behaviours why can't the DPF?) So that is pretty much 40 mins drive + 40 mins drive + 40 mins drive then regen.
2) If this commute pattern is interrupted with longer journeys the frequency of regeneration when journey is over does change a bit, giving some respite from hearing it after the journey has ended.
3) I don't tend to notice any power loss, reduced fuel consumption or other symptoms when driving so I have no idea if region is occurring while driving other than the frequency change I mention in point 2.
4) After a regen is when I get poorer consumption. The very next journey. I'm down from an average of 38-40 mpg to 34-35mpg and this sometimes lasts a couple of commuting days.

Asides this the weather does have an effect on consumption too. I'd say 8 to 16 degrees is the sweet spot. Either side of that and consumption I worse.

I will have the update on the oil service schedule.

I’ve had the upgrade and it’s been more subtle with regens since.
I have pulled up twice since Christmas and the idle has been up so I have finished the regen with the rpm just over 2K sat outside the house.

My 150 is a September 2019 and I have never had the fans still on when I have parked up and never noticed any regen whilst driving? Fuel consumption on a run is mid 40s and on shorter trips around 38mpg.

Only ever notice this when we park up back home after approx 30 mile journey and infrequent

I find the VW re-gen and consumption behaviour strange in comparison to what I'm used to.
I'm still pre-update, 26 month old, 150 DSG, T6 Ocean and here is my experience so far.
1) The frequency of the regen is probably happening on the 2 hours and typically still in progress when my journey finishes (very annoying to hear the fans etc so often). My commutes are 22 miles each way, surely it shouldn't be too difficult to schedule while moving somehow? (the gear box learns your driving behaviours why can't the DPF?) So that is pretty much 40 mins drive + 40 mins drive + 40 mins drive then regen.
2) If this commute pattern is interrupted with longer journeys the frequency of regeneration when journey is over does change a bit, giving some respite from hearing it after the journey has ended.
3) I don't tend to notice any power loss, reduced fuel consumption or other symptoms when driving so I have no idea if region is occurring while driving other than the frequency change I mention in point 2.
4) After a regen is when I get poorer consumption. The very next journey. I'm down from an average of 38-40 mpg to 34-35mpg and this sometimes lasts a couple of commuting days.

Asides this the weather does have an effect on consumption too. I'd say 8 to 16 degrees is the sweet spot. Either side of that and consumption I worse.

I will have the update on the oil service schedule.
The above has been my exact experience and “normal” for my use apart from item 3 which will depend on traffic conditions and driving style when reduction in vehicle performance during regen may or may not be noticeable by the driver.
Unfortunately it all came together at a time of changed commute to 4 miles each way short journeys for more days each week, lower temp running, warranty work and then full inspection service 3 months later.
Did not want short journey DPF syndrome and have tried to guard against this by every 3 to 4 runtime hours as shown on MFD following advice on page 319 of T6 manual (running above 43mph for 15 mins, dsg in drive or manual 4th as recommended if the dpf warning is activated.
Reassuring that others have noted the change in regen behaviour.
Would be useful for some update info from VW ?

I think most members know this, but perhaps a couple here are confused.....
If you switch off and walk away with the fans running like a hovercraft, then the regeneration ISN”T completing, it has been interrupted and will start again when you drive again. The fans are just bring down the engine temperatures which are ramped up during the process.
There’s not much you can do about that, other than the procedure Loz describes, if you choose to do so.

I’ve had the upgrade and it’s been more subtle with regens since.
I have pulled up twice since Christmas and the idle has been up so I have finished the regen with the rpm just over 2K sat outside the house.
Tried waiting for regen to complete once on parking up and noticed it was doing a regen again/still just after start of next trip.
Holding a lower gear on a dual carriageway periodically (manual with cruise and 3,500rpm) seemed to reduce regens and improve consumption figure but not confirmed as an unpredictable occurrence.

Just had Adblue etc software update and haven't been out since. France in a few weeks so see how that compares to previous identical trips.

Hi, An interesting thread.
Please excuse my ignorance on this regen. My experience lies with slightly older cars, ie listening with with the help of a Small hose whilst balancing a line of carbs.

How do I know my ocean is doing a regen whilst driving?

I have on occasion walked away from it and the fans were running and like suggested earlier I just made the assumption it was a tad hot after a bit of town driving.
Doeas the tick over increase whilst in regen mode? If so would that not try to engage the dsg clutch?
After reading an earlier article, I do on occasion have 20 mins at 3000 revs whilst staying in a gear.

I am not to over fussed on how when as these days I am happy to believe it happens and bonnet tends to stay shut.
Kind regards

I think most members know this, but perhaps a couple here are confused.....
If you switch off and walk away with the fans running like a hovercraft, then the regeneration ISN”T completing, it has been interrupted and will start again when you drive again. The fans are just bring down the engine temperatures which are ramped up during the process.
There’s not much you can do about that, other than the procedure Loz describes, if you choose to do so.
I didn't know that, I thought there were active and 'forced' inactive regens.
Incidentally, If I knew there were imminent I would change my journey or driving to suit so that it completes but as there is no noticeable power lag etc I'm a bt stuck. My old Evoque used to lag so I would just stay on the motorway for another junction or 2 then head home.

What an environmentally friendly system we have!! :(
ridiculous aren't they. encouraging long drives at high revs for nothing. since when were you not allowed to nip to the shops in a diesel engine unless you went on a motorway ? very environmentally friendly I agree

In summary my view is that the update may have changed the drivers experience of DPF regeneration.
Conscious that I am doing short runs and that frequently have to park up and leave thus interrupting the regen cycle (AKA “Hovercraft” mode) I knew where I was with this happening and the suspension of the engine stop/start which resumes shortly after regen has stopped.
Now I have lost these “features” of DPF regeneration, I am now left with having to wait for the dreaded
13C5BC76-1620-4676-BCF5-DF5E4828069D.jpeg
But picking up on @Shadrack comments,
Maybe it is just my paranoia having paid a significant amount for my Ocean and wanting to keep it in good health but with an eye for detail and an interest in vehicles ( I too remember twin carb balancing by ear, fan belt repairs with stockings, timing adjustment by absence of “pinking” after setting TDC and advancing as required).
Should I just trust VW and the VW brains in my van knows best and will flag up the warning that the DPF is overloaded with soot, so do something about it, light?
Thank you for all contributions and advice so far.
Would be really interesting how many on the forum have had confirmed to them at service that the software update that changes the DPF regeneration/AdBlue consumption has taken place and received the AdBlue vouchers that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum

In summary my view is that the update may have changed the drivers experience of DPF regeneration.
Conscious that I am doing short runs and that frequently have to park up and leave thus interrupting the regen cycle (AKA “Hovercraft” mode) I knew where I was with this happening and the suspension of the engine stop/start which resumes shortly after regen has stopped.
Now I have lost these “features” of DPF regeneration, I am now left with having to wait for the dreaded
View attachment 55851
Maybe it is just my paranoia having paid a significant amount for my Ocean and wanting to keep it in good health but with an eye for detail and an interest in vehicles ( I too remember twin carb balancing by ear, fan belt repairs with stockings, timing adjustment by absence of “pinking” after setting TDC and advancing as required).
Should I just trust VW and the VW brains in my van knows best and will flag up the warning that the DPF is overloaded with soot, so do something about it, light?
Would be really interesting how many on the forum have had confirmed to them at service that the software update that changes the DPF regeneration/AdBlue consumption has taken place and received the AdBlue vouchers that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum
No vouchers or even confirmation that it was done.
Chased it up and managed to get an email copy of an Invoice (that I wasn't given on collection) stating Software upgrade done and 1 to 8 Adblue fills applicable.
Told that it's on the Computer System and will be 'ticked off' as fills are made.

VW UK paying I believe. Possibly back to Germany who are in dire Financial constraints.

View attachment 55851
Single Solex for me these days, would the old Italian service clear the soot box?

Back