I MUST NOT TAMPER WITH MY ECU
I MUST NOT TAMPER WITH MY ECU :bananadance

CannellWalker said:
Have you considered the direction and strength of the prevailing wind?

This can make one hell of a difference to consumption . On my 40 mile each way commute in my Audi A1 I can get 70mpg and then 55 mpg so a large difference..it can also be uphill one way and down hill on the return. I am in Lincolnshire so flat as a pancake . So best I have had is 82 mpg and worst is 49 mpg on exactly the same journey .
Give it some time but you never know there could be a fault.

I find all the above comments very interesting...

In my own case, I travel 184 miles each day, two and from my place of work, (commuting) I currently have a 2.0 L 150 hp diesel Mk 7 golf sport, which has 5000 miles currently on the clock, my average fuel consumption is approximately 70 mpg+ and increasing, which indeed varies with what direction the wind is travelling and if the roads are wet or dry makes a significant difference also, on roads like the A140, A14, A12,
Even though I try to manage speeds below 70 mph, I feel consumption varies by approximately 10 mpg!

My previous vehicle was a blue motion 1.6D which regularly achieved over 90+ mpg but also varied by which way the wind was blowing and generally varied by six mpg with the prevailing wind direction anyway, one assumes if one lives in Lincolnshire when winds generally vary from 0 to gale force in a matter of hours, considering it so flat, isn't it no wonder we can have wild variations in fuel consumption figures,
And that doesn't take into account driving styles at various times and traffic conditions throughout our journey, which tend to vary, also I've noticed the longer the journey the better the fuel consumption seems to be also, which needs to be considered, when listening to people's fuel consumption figures.

My own California 180, 4 motion, currently averages 37+ mpg in and around Suffolk, but can drop drastically, as a trip to the Isle of Harris, and other islands in the Outer Hebrides certainly demonstrated, I didn't seem to get out of third gear most of the time, with the average fuel consumption dipping to 26 mpg at one stage, which was rather disconcerting, but no surprise,

But on the other hand with a recent trip to Bedfordshire, the vehicle was averaging 42 mpg at a steady 60 to 65 mph, which I thought wasn't too bad considering its four-wheel-drive with a 180ps engine.

Also I've checked the validity of the computer accuracy in all my vehicles, by the brim to bring the method, and have found them all quite accurate in my case.
Most of the Volkswagen vehicles, the speedometer normally overestimates average speeds by 5 mph, judging by the tom-tom GPS, which may have to be taken into account. I hope this is some help.

This was my previous vehicle a; Volkswagen 1.6 D blue motion Mk 6 at the end of my daily commute of 92 miles as I said previously all these vehicles (all Volkswagens) seem to be better on fuel consumption, the further one travels. by the way I did have a economy chip made by a German firm Race chip, at €220.00 which seemed to make quite a bit of difference to the performance and economy if used wisely! www.racechip.de

IMG_1238.jpg

Impressive figures Stephen, you must have light feet! I know what you mean about the speedo - I've noticed my Octavia tends to indicate higher speeds than satnav or those signs that tell you how fast you're going and then either thank or chastise you...

TravellinJones
I was a habitual speeder, some years back! and finally realised I didn't seem to get there any quicker at the end of the day, and was properly a menace to other road users as well! and was extremely stressful and tiresome,

And Then I Got Rather Interested In Environmental Issues Where the Burning of Fossil Fuels Didn't Seem like a Good Idea after All, In the Pursuit Of Massaging One's Ego :sad well I suppose we all go through that stage, I also used to have fast motorbikes which certainly teaches you survival skills on the road, if you survive it all that is! (aware of other road users)

But like speeding, you can also get into the habit of economically driving also, not necessarily particularly inordinately slow, but simply finding a equilibria between the vehicles sweet spot and making progress to your desired destination, (can be rather fun trying to beat your previous mpg sometimes)

I find it quite stress relieving watching the boy racers or indeed nowadays 'white van man' fly by, only to catch them up 40 miles further down the road, in the inevitable traffic jam... (rather pointless, not to mention at times rather dangerous in some cases I've Seen Some Incredible Cases of Stupidity Through Excess Speed And They Ultimately Get Nowhere)

I simply think economical driving is simply looking ahead trying to not use your brakes if at all possible, and perhaps occasionally coasting where appropriate, and not necessarily just going slow, which sometimes can be rather dangerous, especially on faster roads nowadays, It's like everything else in life, you just need a little common sense and a bit of consideration for other road users, and perhaps a little classical music to chill out on, ultimately we don't get there any quicker whatever speed one chooses in my opinion.

I dread to think what fuel consumption these people have at the end of the journey, in their rather un-aerodynamic and unwieldy vehicles?

Back