Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

240v 3 pin socket in 2007 SE

Victor_Tango_

Victor_Tango_

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Apologies if this is a daft question/answered elsewhere.

I've just gone to look for the 240v UK mains socket on the right of the kitchen unit in our new-to-us 2007 SE (having been used to finding it there in a rental 2012). It's not there! There's just a 2-pin (presumably the inverter) and a round thing. Is it somewhere else?! Didn't have a proper hunt around (or check the manual) and am at work now... any answers appreciated.

As you are a VIP member there is a manual download for the 2007 SE named Technician Manual. According to page 39 the 230v socket should be on the end of the unit behind the front seat.

Ah, I see, just a Euro adapter required. No "native" 3-pin UK socket. And keep the load under 150 watts. Does that mean no heaters/toasters/hairdryers etc even on hook-up? Sorry, electrical novice here...

If you have a 230v socket then most hookups on campsites are restricted to about 10amps (some less, a few more) at 230v the max that would in theory be circa 2300watts. That should easily power small heaters (I've never tried a toaster). but I would generally use lower consumption devices to avoid tripping the fuses.

150watts sounds like a power useage limit for an inverter, only really good for charging phones and low power items. Ive never owned an SE so can't be sure but I believe you should have two sockets on the end of the kitchen unit.

Last edited:
i might be wrong but I don't think your year of Cali had an inverter fitted
So the 2pin euro adapter is fed when you are on the mains hook up
Like you say you will need a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter but should be able to use
Most electrical appliances providing you don't exceed the campsite limit
Just as a very basic guide I work it out like this. 1kw = 5 amps so if the campsite
Breaker is 10 amps anything over 2 kW is likely to trip it

A simple test is to plug in a low wattage device when on battery, such as a phone charger. If it powers up then the socket is fed by an inverter. If it doesn't then it is only live when hooked up.

Do you have a 2 pin Euro socket lower down on the B pillar behind the passenger seat?

Alan

No socket on b-pillar and yes, the 2-pin socket is dead when not on EHU, so as @Calikev says it seems there's no inverter on this pre-facelift Cali. Thanks all for the advice.

Looking at that photo, what magical item can i put in said hole!:Nailbiting
I have something for the RHS but am at loss what could go in the other round one!

Looking at that photo, what magical item can i put in said hole!:Nailbiting
I have something for the RHS but am at loss what could go in the other round one!
It is a din socket, I have a 12V computer fan with a din plug on it..
15A_din_plug_motorcycle.jpg

You can also get din to cigar socket adapters like this;
din_cigarette_socket_adaptor.jpg

Last edited:
Back