Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2L 180 engine

Hi , one more question on the 2L 180 BHP engine (I promise). The T6 2L are 150bhp or 204 BHP BI turbo . I read all the info on the dark side web site and they say there are no issues with these engines. Is this correct!?Also they say the EGR can be blanked off. Would this eradicate any associated problems with the 180 BI turbo engine?
Thanks
John

Hi , one more question on the 2L 180 BHP engine (I promise). The T6 2L are 150bhp or 204 BHP BI turbo . I read all the info on the dark side web site and they say there are no issues with these engines. Is this correct!?Also they say the EGR can be blanked off. Would this eradicate any associated problems with the 180 BI turbo engine?
Thanks
John
It's my understanding that the 204 also has an aluminium EGR so not sure why Dark Side think they are fine, maybe it's because they all have a type D? And yes the blanking solves the problem, you need to fit an Emulator like an Tafmet, or remap.

Thanks
John
Some reading, which should provide some answers and more knowledge:

Thanks
John
Some would disagree regarding the T6 204 engine.

Yep very interesting read. Doesnt mention the 204bhp model though just the 180BHP

Yep very interesting read. Doesnt mention the 204bhp model though just the 180BHP
A number of mentions of the 204 CEXB engine , the successor to the 180, requiring replacement/rebuild due to excessive oil consumption relating to the EGR breakdown .You need to read through the threads. The thread title is often misleading compared to the final diagnosis.

Yep , just read loads of stuff on here and watched Darkside developments on YouTube . I think before buying any Bi Turbo model it needs a compression test then to be safe get the EGR blanked off and mapped to suit. I think I would sleep better at night with the 140/150BHP model……

Yep , just read loads of stuff on here and watched Darkside developments on YouTube . I think before buying any Bi Turbo model it needs a compression test then to be safe get the EGR blanked off and mapped to suit. I think I would sleep better at night with the 140/150BHP model……
Go for 140/150 and get it remappped. You will get more mid range torque and improved mpg as you won’t need to change gears as often.

Then you can avoid the sick feeling in your stomach if your 180 starts to burn excessive oil.

The only problem is there is not a lot of them around. Yeah read a few posts on the remap and sounds like a good idea.

I was aware that a few D cooler engines were having issues (not loads). The conclusion was to blank and emulate until VW sorted it out.

The only problem is there is not a lot of them around. Yeah read a few posts on the remap and sounds like a good idea.
I’ve had my 140 SE remapped some 3 years ago now and the difference is incredible. Low down torque is greatly improved plus a slightly better mpg figure. No need to change down on hills any longer.

I was aware that a few D cooler engines were having issues (not loads). The conclusion was to blank and emulate until VW sorted it out.
The trouble is when buying secondhand, you can never be sure if you have bought a lemon until it’s too late; then you potentially face a hefty repair bill, but on the upside you then have a new engine!

Funny you should say that as we have just hired one for 2 nights, Friday and Saturday and returned it yesterday. It was a 23 reg grey Cali and it was great hence why I’ve got the bug again. It was our first time in one and wanted to hire one before we spend a boat load of cash on one. It cost £350 for 2 nights but did pay a bit more for early pick up and late drop off. I think I was a bit misleading with the 2000 miles bit as we did over 200 this weekend and didn’t really go that far so it’s gunna be more like 5000 but who knows what’s going to happen when the weather is nice and we want to go somewhere at the drop of a hat. They are over £1k a week to hire and the company we used are already fully booked up so not too easy to hire one I don’t think. If we get one we will have it for a few years (hopefully) and the money we would lose on it should not be too much hence why I’m looking at Calis rather than a converted transporter, even though the prices of both aren’t far apart. I would also consider using it as our weekend car too (I have a van for work) .
Have you not considered a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder T5 SE?
Apart from emissions it could be considered a less problematic engine. Less value to drop.

I considered a 180 2nd hand and very local about 5 years ago, ending up spending a long night reading lots of horror stories about them and got scared off. I decided only way I could buy it was to agree a 9k price reduction on the £45k price to cover me but still decided didn't want the hassle. I recollect reading oil analysis can show problems before poor compression test so its worth doing regular anaysis (monthly?) and hope to catch it before engine failure. Also estimates were about 15%? were failing. I also thought EGR removal/delete was now an MOT failure or am I getting mixed up with DPF? Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm very happy with the 140.

Monthly oil analysis? You jest.

Just get them done before each oil change.

Well I bit the bullet and got me a 2l Bi Turbo Cali last Thursday. I went for a T6 199HP version. I spent a lot more than I wanted but got a great Cali with a great spec and factory 2 tone colour scheme. It’s also a 2019 so a lot newer than I was looking for. I emailed Darkside Developments and they informed me the the EGR issues was only related to the 180 CFCA engine not the CXEC 199 engine which I have now. The email from Darkside put my mind at ease hence why I bit the bullet and went for Bi turbo model I now own.

Well I bit the bullet and got me a 2l Bi Turbo Cali last Thursday. I went for a T6 199HP version. I spent a lot more than I wanted but got a great Cali with a great spec and factory 2 tone colour scheme. It’s also a 2019 so a lot newer than I was looking for. I emailed Darkside Developments and they informed me the the EGR issues was only related to the 180 CFCA engine not the CXEC 199 engine which I have now. The email from Darkside put my mind at ease hence why I bit the bullet and went for Bi turbo model I now own.
Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Good choice, I still think this model has the aluminium EGR that caused the potential problem on the CFA, if it does not nothing to be concerned about.

If it does, a precautionary measure would be to order a Millers Oil test kit, only costs £50.00 and that will show any aluminium in the oil and the start of any issues.

Last edited: