Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2nd set of wheels

P

Paddy Dyson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Morning all
For the last few years I’ve been swapping between summer and winter tyres and keeping the ones not in use at ATS. They charge me to swap them over and store the unused tyres.
I need to get some new summer tyres now and am thinking of buying nearly new / delivery mileage wheels and tyres. It looks like I can buy these for around the same price as a new set of tyres and this would then save me some costs connected with swapping tyres twice a year.
Does anyone else do similar? Any advice on or experience of buying wheels / tyres that could help me.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sad
I had steel 17” winter wheels and tyres however when Michelin cross climates came out bought them when it was time to get new tyres and put them on the original wheels, saved all the changing of wheels. As the weather is so unpredictable you probably would have changed to summer wheels last week only to get snow over the last few days. I have just changed to a used ocean so will do the same when it’s tyres get low.

Dave

Thanks mate. Are the Clayton’s the ones that are supplied as standard?
Yes.

4 x Delivery mile 17” Davenport wheels with Tyres go for between £500/£650 from garages. 16” Clayton alloys £200/£400 (but would avoid Hankook tyres as they seem to wear out quickly, go for continental). Check EBay & FB Marketplace.

When your summers eventually need replacing, just buy a another new set and sell the old ones on eBay to offset some of the cost. It’s harder to find winters with delivery miles so might be easier to just replace the winter tyres on existing rims when the time comes.

If you get them from a garage then they will often swap them over for free (or a small fee.)

I had steel 17” winter wheels and tyres however when Michelin cross climates came out bought them when it was time to get new tyres and put them on the original wheels, saved all the changing of wheels. As the weather is so unpredictable you probably would have changed to summer wheels last week only to get snow over the last few days. I have just changed to a used ocean so will do the same when it’s tyres get low.

Dave
Agreed. I bought my winter tyres when we got the van which coincided with the Beast from the East! There’s still a lot of life in the withers which is why I’ll probably stick with this solution for now. Thanks.

16" Clayton Alloys are the cheapest wheels available due to bling 20" wheels being the current trend.

As said check both tyre size and Brand. Some are only 205 width off T26 vans.

Currently 17" Davenports seem to be in good supply reducing prices. Usually on the narrower 215 tyre width.

Why don’t you just get all seasons and save the faff of changing them like we did. We got Avon AS7 235/55r17 103 V which are 3PMSF. I’m really pleased with them and with the Michelin Crossclimates we have on the car.

16 Clayton’s won’t fit most Calis btw as the brake callipers are too big.

Why don’t you just get all seasons and save the faff of changing them like we did. We got Avon AS7 235/55r17 103 V which are 3PMSF. I’m really pleased with them and with the Michelin Crossclimates we have on the car.

16 Clayton’s won’t fit most Calis btw as the brake callipers are too big.
Thanks. We already have winter tyres with some life in them so I’d like summer tyres as well for now.
We already have Clayton’s on, I think,which were supplied with the van. Tyres are r16 so that ties in with what others have advised.

Check ebay Germany, although quite a few sellers won't send to UK now. They have tight tyre laws and you can often get good deals on tyres and wheels. I did that with my car and changed them myself in November and May but have since gone to all season and have ordered the van with all season tyres.

Check ebay Germany, although quite a few sellers won't send to UK now. They have tight tyre laws and you can often get good deals on tyres and wheels. I did that with my car and changed them myself in November and May but have since gone to all season and have ordered the van with all season tyres.
Might well get hit with import duties on top of purchase and shipping.

In the same boat, summers on 18” Toluca alloys and 18” Amarok steelies for wintering. Tamar Wheels were £1000 for the steels with Kumho winters/£1250 Continentals - 235/55/18. Figured I’d keep the same size

I think it looks rather good. First saw them on a conversion and then did a bit of Googling.

7CF8A704-38FC-4AB7-A0D2-1441C190C046.jpeg

Latest steel being fitted on Transporters is off the new Defender.

I did this with a winter/summer set. I bought the spare set off ebay with good tyres when they came up locally. I got lots of ear ache about how much space they took up in the garage.

I had the 2 set system for a couple of years then decided to go All Season with the one set and sell the excess.
Actually had no major snow driving since and as I don't go for any winter sports it's turned out to be the logical and cost effective route.

Never considered having two sets of wheels/tyres for cars previously, a Cali thing?

I got stuck in the snow one winter. Focussed my mind on it. I’m over it now and I just stay at home when it snows.

After living in Canada I got into the habit of having two sets of wheels - initially with my Mustang as I really didn't want RWD to be a problem in winter and so it wasn't. Now it's gone and the California is our sole vehicle, makes sense to have it kitted out for winter in the same way. It can be cold for a few months of the year at home, so even without snow it's better without summer tyres. All Seasons could be an option, but two sets of wheels isn't a hardship and anyway the van is easier to change over than the Mustang.

Re Defender steelies on Transporters - don't think my OCD could cope with that, have a hard enough time with VW wheels on Skodas and vice versa let alone an entirely different automotive group!

Back