Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 night Beach packing list

Hot chocolate and marshmallows for the kids at bedtime
Sausages peppers onions and garlic to chop up and fry to improve the pasta
Candles / fairy lights and down jackets / hats to sit out at night (maybe in a few months!)
The nicest plastic wine glasses you can find, we got some last year that have a screw off stem/base that then fits inside the body to save space.
Booze lots more booze.....
I like the idea of hot chocolate - not so sure about the marshmallows before bed though.
I wasn't intending to sub-list the ingredients of the pasta sauce.
A candle is a nice idea for when the wind up torch fades.
No to fairy lights - maybe some friendship bunting.
I have some plastic wine glasses - added to the list.
Down jackets and hats - I'll have to think about down jackets for our bigger tour.

Second the idea of fairy lights for ambience. Quick on/off shoes/track suit for toilet trips/early morning dog walk. I use hamman towels - work brilliantly and dry really quickly. Kitchen towel. Biscuits
No separate sub-list for shoes, but I'll pack 3 pairs of footwear: crocs, trainers, walking boots. The boys will have crocs, shoes and wellies. I expect Clare will take flip flops, shoes and walking boots.

Rubber mallet, lighter/matches, bike lock, dish cloth, more wine for when kids have gone to bed
The mallet is in the awning bag. Lighter and a backup are essential - added.
Dish cloth - added.
Two good locks - added. I'm paranoid about bike theft. I lock my bikes to the bike rack, and if the bike rack is removable, I lock the rack to the car. The two locks should always be a different design: D-lock and security chain with high security padlock is my favourite combination

Checked my list. Glasses sunglasses contact lens stuff. Coats and hats. Oven glove. Tin foil to wrap. Clips for packets. Water cannister. Toilet roll? Never take a chance on site supplies! Bin bags.puncture kit pump and helmets. music (iphone?) Med kit. Phone and charger. 4 way extension gang for multiple lights and chargers. Insect repellent (depends on time) How do you get 3+2 in the cali and a dog? Do you have lidded boxes to store things? Great list. Will fine tune my own. My aim is to pack less than camping not more!
Sunglasses in March is optimistic - apart from reading I don't wear glasses. The water canister is useful, I have a massive one which rolls, but recently saw a rather snazzy collapsible one. Ordered from here.

We don't usually wear helmets, the boys do when they go on a rear rack child seat, but not on their balance bikes (Ben's bike is a proper child's pedal bike, but with the pedals removed: he can balance with both feet off the ground when going downhill, but doesn't get pedalling yet) so they are no higher off the ground than when walking. In the Burley trailer there's no need for a helmet. Besides, the Dutch have managed to cycle perfectly safely and happily for decades without helmets, and wearing safety gear makes a healthy safe activity look dangerous.

I have Calpol listed, I think the Cali comes with a 1st aid kit, but if it doesn't, we will take one.

I did consider an "electronics" sub category, i-pads, i-phones, laptop, etc. Perhaps I should - done.

Last edited:
How do you get 3+2 in the cali and a dog?
Clare and I will go upstairs. Our aupair will sleep downstairs with the boys (don't forget the Beach has a king size downstairs bed). The dogs will go in their crate in the awning, if they whine continuously they may have to go on the driver and front passenger seats, but I do not expect any problems.

A couple of good quality head torches.
We walk the dogs every night in a south London park. Our head torches are good and USB rechargeable. The boys had cheap plastic hand held torches in their Christmas stockings from Santa which they use to club each other with until the lens falls out and tears ensue.

@Crispin Family ,
Tom , just relax and enjoy the first family outing in the Cali.
You will know what you missed out in your list , once you are on your way back home ...
;)

My head hit a car windscreen at speed, I felt the helmet deform & heard the windsteen break. I'm still here...without the helmet, nope.
We are not intending to take the boys on their balance bikes beyond the confines of the campsite.

That's the first time I've seen an aupair on someone's packing list :D
I asked if she wanted to come with us, expecting a long weekend alone at home to me more enticing, but she wants to come - so on the packing list she goes.

To my horror, Clare suggested that she sleep upstairs with her, and I sleep downstairs with the boys.

Great list.
Medications, connecting leads for electronics (stored in small bright wash bag), small clock to show when the sun/yardarm has arrived ...
and take a copy of your list so you can add/subtract as you go.

Wellies for everyone. Keep your feet dry and clean on the early morning dog walk , saves getting your boots wet before breakfast.

Wellies for everyone. Keep your feet dry and clean on the early morning dog walk , saves getting your boots wet before breakfast.
Wellies already included in the category "clothing", sub category "adults" and "children": "shoes & boots".

When my kids were that age (1.5 and 2.5), we used to go camping in a tent with two bikes and a Cannondale kids trailer. After 14 days we found out that all the toys we packed stayed unused. Kids have an unlimited amount of imagination, always at hand.

Even with one plate, one knife and 2 pots you will manage to have a wonderful holiday. You can drink the wine straight from the bottle and enjoy the silence when the kids are sleeping. At last. :D

Last edited:
When my kids were that age (1.5 and 2.5), we go camping in a tent with two bikes and a Cannondale kids trailer. After 14 days we found out that all the toys we packed stayed unused. Kids have an unlimited amount of imagination, always at hand.

Even with one plate, one knife and 2 pots you will manage to have a wonderful holiday. You can drink the wine straight from the bottle and enjoy the silence when the kids are sleeping. At last. :D
Our kids are a bit older but all we take for them is a bike each they just head straight to the park or football pitch and we can never find them at meal times.

Back