Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 seat bench removal from Cali Beach

A

Adam

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi, Having searched this and other sites has anyone actually removed the 3 seat bench from a Cali Beach? I've found a couple of posts where people are asking about removal with replies talking about the weight. I'm planning to remove the bench from my new (2 weeks) Cali and would very much appreciate feedback from anyone who has actually done this. Is it a two or three person job? What protection did you use for the floor/trim, any lookouts or advice to make the job easier.
BTW loving the Cali just need to use as a van to carry a motorcycle. Planning to retain the two additional seats as these are lighter and easier to remove plus just use the upstairs bed.

I'd contact Colin at Oxford T5 - what he doesn't know about Cali/Caravelle/Kombi seats etc isn't worth knowing.

My SE seat is out at the moment (so only a 2 person seat) and is going back in this afternoon at VW Breeze Southampton after a repair. They said the always do a 3 man lift.

The 3 seater bench is definitely a 2 man lift & be careful not to scratch the rails floor (lift not drag) you will get the hang of it after doing it a few times, but there again not something you want to be doing too often as they are heavy.

I've done it once before, it was a 2 person job as only me and wife around at the time I needed to do it. Not light but manageable if you take your time. Park the van as close to where you are going to store it but leave room to get around. I used prices of stare carpet to stop me scratching the rails. If you are going to take the bike regularly I would consider a trailer! Cheers Dave

Thansk for your very quick and helpful replies.
Paul, it seems you have some experience of removing and replacing the 3 seat bench. Are there any tips you recommned? Should i use cardboard to cover the rails or floor or any trim that is likely to be scratched that i should cover up? Are the channel fixings easy to access? Any advice would be apreciated as the better informed i am prior the less likely i will be damage something in my new pride and joy!

Thanks Dave, missed your reply when posting my reply. Good advice cheers

Thansk for your very quick and helpful replies.
Paul, it seems you have some experience of removing and replacing the 3 seat bench. Are there any tips you recommned? Should i use cardboard to cover the rails or floor or any trim that is likely to be scratched that i should cover up? Are the channel fixings easy to access? Any advice would be apreciated as the better informed i am prior the less likely i will be damage something in my new pride and joy!

As Dave said, cover the rails as best you can, the little aluminium covers are easy to remove but the end plastic covers can be a pain, but don't force them they will lift out. Might be worth getting some masking tape or something similar to put over the rails just in case. I used to put a couple of thin bits of ply at the front & when the seat is slid forward ready to lift we would tilt it back slightly & put the ply between the leg & rail, then tilt it forward onto the ply & repeat the process at the rear, this way it lifted the seat out of the rails ready to lift out. ( sorry a bit of a long winded explanation ).

I have 4 motorbikes & used to lift the 3 seater from my caravelle quite regularly but now I've bought one of the MotoLug collapsible trailers.

Thanks Paul, I like the ply idea and will use the same. One question, are there two rows of clips inserted into the tracks for the bench seat. i.e. a front set and a rear set? I presume six in total acrsos the three rails? .

Adam there are only 4 fixings that sit inside the rails, 2 to the front & 2 to the rear. If you use the ply 4mm will be sufficient.

Back