Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

-3c outside and I'm toasty and warm.

Calibus

Calibus

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In June of this year Slidepods fitted a Webasto air top 2000 stc with the smart controller.

Well last night was the first proper cold night test for it.

Test parameters:
VW California Beach MY18.
Roof and bed up with no cover and the standard curtains VW provide.
The duvet I used was a 10.5 tog.
I don't wear PJ's.
All blinds were down (good job really, it's not a pretty site).
Temperature was set to 18c.

I had it set at 18c and ran it for 8 hours with no problems. By the morning I had a leg poking out as I was hot and couldn't be bothered to reach over and turn it down, it was only 30 mins before I had to get up.

All in all best purchase we've made for my Cali so far. we also have a set of Rainbow Screens top and windscreen covers, so the weekend after next Ill be out in the Cali again and will use these with the same setup, I'm hoping it will be cold again to really give it all a good test.

In June of this year Slidepods fitted a Webasto air top 2000 stc with the smart controller.

Test parameters:
I don't wear PJ's.

I had it set at 18c and ran it for 8 hours with no problems. By the morning I had a leg poking out as I was hot and couldn't be bothered to reach over and turn it down, it was only 30 mins before I had to get up.

All in all best purchase we've made for my Cali so far. we also have a set of Rainbow Screens top and windscreen covers, so the weekend after next Ill be out in the Cali again and will use these with the same setup, I'm hoping it will be cold again to really give it all a good test.
You’ll find you can go a lot below -3 and still be warm! Enjoy.

Test parameters:
I don't wear PJ's.

Sounds great! I’ve had a quote from Slidepods to do the same. Anything you regret not having or wish you’d known beforehand?

Try sleeping in the upstairs bed at -3C. Even with the heater full blast and a roof topper it’s a completely different experience to sleeping downstairs as Clare did. Her words of comfort did little to warm my heart, “At least I was snug and toasty!”

The boys, one of whom was up with me and the other down with Clare, seemed not to notice. They can both sleep upstairs next time.

When its cold we use a North Face DOLOMITE DOUBLE 20/-7 Double Sleeping Bag up in the roof, and have the internal ISOTOP fitted which helps retain a fair amount of heat. We don't tend to leave the heater on all night, but just set the timer to get a blast just before we wake up.

When its cold we use a North Face DOLOMITE DOUBLE 20/-7 Double Sleeping Bag up in the roof, and have the internal ISOTOP fitted which helps retain a fair amount of heat. We don't tend to leave the heater on all night, but just set the timer to get a blast just before we wake up.
It pays to get the best in sleeping bags like yourself
I have a Rab 3/4 season sleeping bag from my backpacking days
when the need arises a blast from the heater to rid of any dampness in the van before lights go out and I’m like a ‘bug in a rug’ for the rest of the night :happy

Alan

We just did two nights at -3 We slept upstairs with no topper with heater on all night. We were fine, but dogs slept downstairs in front of heater and were absolutely boiling ha. It was a very still night which helps I think, cold winds do seem to blow through and make it a bit chilly. We’ve just ordered an isotop, so will be interesting to see how it changes things.

We just did two nights at -3 We slept upstairs with no topper with heater on all night. We were fine, but dogs slept downstairs in front of heater and were absolutely boiling ha. It was a very still night which helps I think, cold winds do seem to blow through and make it a bit chilly. We’ve just ordered an isotop, so will be interesting to see how it changes things.
Just slept 0 degrees top up, no topper, downstairs, heat on. Perfect. Have done the same in skivvies at -17, no problem. The issue here seems to be that people are looking for solutions to turn the parking heater off. Don't. Use the heater all night. The CO2 use is negligible, compared to manufacturing CO2 debts for Calitop/Isotop, etc.

Back