Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3rd rail installation ireland

kev.mcgarry

kev.mcgarry

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi, we have a 2017 California Coast and just had a baby. We want to be able to take the grandparents with us on trips so I’m looking to install a 5th seat. Our van doesn’t have a 3rd rail so would need to get that installed. Here on the site some folks have mentioned a company in Oxford that does it. Just wondering has anyone used them, and if I could get it done should I expect much hassle when changing from 4 to 5 on log book?

Thanks
Kevin

Hi, we have a 2017 California Coast and just had a baby. We want to be able to take the grandparents with us on trips so I’m looking to install a 5th seat. Our van doesn’t have a 3rd rail so would need to get that installed. Here on the site some folks have mentioned a company in Oxford that does it. Just wondering has anyone used them, and if I could get it done should I expect much hassle when changing from 4 to 5 on log book?

Thanks
Kevin
Hassle in the U.K., No.
I don’t know what the rules or regulations are in the EU/Ireland.

People on the T4/5 and T6 forums speak highly of them.

Hello Kevin,

I am not 100% sure, but in case you have 4Motion in your Coast I don't believe it is not possible to get the 3rd rail installed.

Just something to keep in mind.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello Kevin,

I am not 100% sure, but in case you have 4Motion in your Coast I don't believe it is not possible to get the 3rd rail installed.

Just something to keep in mind.

Regards,
Eberhard
It is physically possible, the only reason for VW not offering it as an option was the lack of payload.

Hello,

Yes, that is the point. A T6 Coast 4Motion with an additional 5th seat and fully occupied plus water, full stocked fridge etc. can bring the camper to its load limit.

I haven't thought about that when we had our T6 because we had no 4Motion and only the two of us were using the camper. But now with the Grand California I think a bit more about weight (actually I should do that for my own weight as well...).

Just something to think it through and keep in mind before money is spend.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back