Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 Motion...

Tammy494

Tammy494

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The day has arrived.... we picked up our 204 DSG 4 Motion at last

Sat here with a constant smile across my face in admiration of our new toy... I can't but help wonder how I can tell the van is actually a 4 Motion... I maybe expected a "4 Motion" badge somewhere on the tailgate perhaps, which this baby does not have.

The dealer, whilst charming was actually little help and seemed to know less about the veh than I did - I have however been watching 6 months of YouTube clips and reading endless VWCC posts!

is there a simple way to put my mind at ease?

IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1166.JPG

Need to get on your hands and knees and look underneath.
Of on the build label on the inside cover of your service book.

Ok now that is concerning as ours does not have a front grill "4 Motion" badge
Check the build codes as above. There has been 1 Forum who had a mis-build, 2wd instead of 4Motion.

You should be able to spot the propshaft to the rear axle...
And don't it has more buttons on the dash to control things ....?

SusiBus is a March 2017 204 DSG 4MOTION OCEAN. The TDI badge on the rear tailgate is all red to indicate 204, but more importantly to you, there is a 4Motion badge beneath it. Also there is a 4Motion badge on the front grill.
It looks like some investigation and questions are the order of the day!

SusiBus is a March 2017 204 DSG 4MOTION OCEAN. The TDI badge on the rear tailgate is all red to indicate 204, but more importantly to you, there is a 4Motion badge beneath it. Also there is a 4Motion badge on the front grill.
It looks like some investigation and questions are the order of the day!
Same as mine , got the badges

Thanks guys... seems like the van sitting on my driveway is not a 4 Motion. Very disappointed face and feel a little stupid having driven away from the dealers, signing for the vehicle and paying in full. Seems like I have a phone call to make first thing

IMG_1172.PNG
It should be detailed on your order form/ confirmation and final invoice.
Just checking through all paperwork... my order was for a 4 Motion: see attached pic.

Final invoice - which I clearly didn't notice has no mention of 4 Motion

While heartedly gutted...

Now I would consider this to be a good position to be sitting in.
I would go back to my dealer and ask him to order me a new vehicle to the exact specification that I had ordered, then hold onto the one supplied until the new vehicle arrives, which with waiting times as they are, could be 6 or 9 months. In the meantime I would endeavour to put as many miles on it as possible and look forward to getting a new replacement California in the future, this time with 4Motion.

Now I would consider this to be a good position to be sitting in.
I would go back to my dealer and ask him to order me a new vehicle to the exact specification that I had ordered, then hold onto the one supplied until the new vehicle arrives, which with waiting times as they are, could be 6 or 9 months. In the meantime I would endeavour to put as many miles on it as possible and look forward to getting a new replacement California in the future, this time with 4Motion.
Not that easy... I serve in the British Army and would be looking to export the vehicle in to Germany for my next posting in sep. Unfortunately if I took this one with me I would not be able to export another/replacement for 12-13 months... I have some serious discussions ahead with the dealer

If this is so , very bad news indeed .
Are you 100% sure?
What did you see/ checked?

They may put the onus back on you too have checked the final spec /order form ,it looks like it has gone wrong from the configuration point their end ,do the quotes mention 4 motion ? Go straight to the top rather than the salesman ..Good luck

What price did you pay? 4Motion or non-4Motion?

I am sure someone had ordered a 4m in the past and this was missed off at build.

Thanks guys... seems like the van sitting on my driveway is not a 4 Motion. Very disappointed face and feel a little stupid having driven away from the dealers, signing for the vehicle and paying in full. Seems like I have a phone call to make first thing
Hi Tammy.

I had exactly the same scenario and got a satisfactory resolution.

See thread:- https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/phew-oops-b-r-hurray.13280/

Kicks in on post 8

In brief I got to keep the original whilst new one was built and compensation.

PM me with your number if you want a chat.

It says it all in the thread and how we arrived there.

Good luck

NB: I suspect it has three rails in floor and not two. 4 Motion can't have three to stop additional 5th seat due to weight issues.

In fact I've sent pm to you with my number

Mike

Last edited:
NB: I suspect it has three rails in floor and not two. 4 Motion can't have three to stop additional 5th seat due to weight issues.
That's not necessarily the right thing to check: our is a 4Motion and HAS 3 rails...

Like said above: the only real check is to check beneath the van for the prop shaft to the back and Haldex differential on the back axle.

That's not necessarily the right thing to check: our is a 4Motion and HAS 3 rails...

Like said above: the only real check is to check beneath the van for the prop shaft to the back and Haldex differential on the back axle.
I think since the advent of the heavier 180/204 engines 4Motions have not had 3 rails. But as you say, rear prop shaft is definitive.

It was just an extra tip. Yes you would check for the prop shaft but on a T6 it's a pretty good easy visual clue. It's what confirmed it to me when I saw no badge and made me have a look underneath.

Mike

Back