Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4000 miles on the clock, what do I think

frenchie

frenchie

Vehicle
Just browsing
Well I have just clocked up 4000 miles on my little European trip which included the van carrying some extra weight due to removing the last items from my French house due to completion of the sale. Due to the awful weather i did not camp, but used the services of a few nice hotels. But I found what I did like and not like about the van. The 204 bhp engine is strong and I never had a problem getting pass the HGV,s or some very bad French drivers. The drg gearbox was good and made town driving easy. However the big let down was body roll. The little roundabouts that the French so love made the van roll like a row boat at sea, not nice at all. The other point which became a pain was the large barn door, getting access to the rear in a supermarket car park in driving wind and rain was very not very nice and in the end things just got pushed into the van from the side door. The H7 headlights performed ok at all times on the unlit narrow French back roads, even in the driving rain, so nothing needed in that area. I don't have any idea of mpg, as I just fill up when needed. What improvement i can make are i think in the suspension area, better stock absorbers and roll bars will i am sure cut down on the body roll. I will let the van remain on its 17 inch wheels for the time being but will upgrade to 18 inch to cut down a bit on side wall movement at a later time. Am I happy with the vw, yes I am. F

Glad you are happy with most of your Cali. There are quite a few who feel the same about the excessive roll, me included. To significantly reduce the roll you can fit uprated ARB and springs to the rear. Most people find just doing the rear is enough. Spring of choice are the ones from the T32. VW do an uprated ARB £170 or someone like H&R etc. If the rear is a bit bouncy when fully loaded I’d say also fit HD rear shocks is a must. This can all be done by fitting parts VW themselves fit to variants of the same van so unlikely to affect any warranty. If you look up member WillSS and check his post history you will find all the part numbers etc. Done something similar to mine and it has transformed the handling from boat to people carrier. Well worth every penny. Hope you get to camp out soon. It’s the best bit.

I find the the rear door makes a good rain cover while getting things in and out you just need to park so the wind does not get you. I do not have a issue with roll at roundabouts as long as you drive it like a campervan rather than a Golf GTI.

Last edited:
better stock absorbers and roll bars will i am sure cut down on the body roll. F

Changing the shock absorbers won't affect the body roll, they just control the bounce. Stiffer roll bars will help as will harder springs.

Even though shocks alone will not stop any eventual roll they do on their own slow down the acceleration of the roll when changing direction. This in it’s self reduces the feeling of the rolliness of a vehicle when they are uprated as the roll/mass movement is better controlled.

Thanks for the feelback. Using the rear door as a rain cover did not work when someone parked behind the van, as to driving it like a GTI. I can't say, never owned one, but I don't drive like some old sod holding all the traffic up. One thing I have noted is that on this site most of the members will hear nothing but good about vw, yet on other be forums they are more trueful with the faults of the vw. I just see it as it is, but I do think it fair to say that some important improvements need to be made. Will look into the vw suspension thanks.F

That is what is good about the T5 & T6 is there are many tweeks to meet each owners needs, and styles of use of their van. at the end of the day it remains a campervan

lots of posts about van faults and tweeks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feelback. Using the rear door as a rain cover did not work when someone parked behind the van, as to driving it like a GTI. I can't say, never owned one, but I don't drive like some old sod holding all the traffic up. One thing I have noted is that on this site most of the members will hear nothing but good about vw, yet on other be forums they are more trueful with the faults of the vw. I just see it as it is, but I do think it fair to say that some important improvements need to be made. Will look into the vw suspension thanks.F
:Iamsorry Totally Disagree with your comment. Some “ snowflakes” will complain about anything and make sweeping generalisations WITHOUT any evidence to support such statements. You have a problem, but is it common or just you?
I read many of the other sites and some of the questions and advice given are just unbelievable. IQ and shoe size spring to mind.
I’ m sure you don’t drive like some “ old sod” probably more like a d******* who thinks he is at Le Mans.
If you parked nose in then you would be able to use the tailgate without any problems.
Also not knowing which type of T6 , except that it has the 204 engine, that you own makes it difficult for anyone to offer any meaningful advice.
There are faults with the California, some are specific, some are not and some are personal to the owner and not to others, but just because someone Disagrees with your assessment doesn’t mean they are wrong it could just be you expecting more from the vehicle than it was designed to do. Can it be modified to suit you, maybe, if not then you’ll just have to “ man-up” and adjust your use accordingly.

Happy Christmas.
ABEA7A79-5DFB-4B0B-9C86-28281D7D67EF.gif

940F3DBF-657A-42DC-82F4-AC4322C98FB4.gif ABEA7A79-5DFB-4B0B-9C86-28281D7D67EF.gif

The little roundabouts that the French so love made the van roll like a row boat at sea, not nice at all.
That is the Achilles heel of any 2.5 ton camper van/motorhome. As great as it is as an everyday vehicle you have to accept some limitations compared to a car. Low entry speed required.

As far as I remember French mini roundabouts have a massive camber on them compared to UK ones so any body roll would feel excessive, especially as you sit up higher in a Cali compared to a car.

That is the Achilles heel of any 2.5 ton camper van/motorhome. As great as it is as an everyday vehicle you have to accept some limitations compared to a car. Low entry speed required.
I feel the Achilles heel is the suspension rather than the van it’s self. As std all is perfect for the showroom test drive on lovely German roads and for those who are happy to take it easy. It’s a one size to fit all setup and if the Golf only came in one model it wouldn’t be the best at handling either.
Most people seem very happy with VW’s excellent MOTR compromise. For those who are not there is a whole load of options you can choose if you require a more sporty handling camper.
Accept nothing. Question everything. Even the Cali can handle rather well if you so desire.

Regarding the tailgate: you do see a lot of converted Transporter campers with the double side-hinged 'barn doors'. But I think it's realistic of VW to configure the Cali for its intended use, ie camping, rather than as a general purpose van.

In camping mode (we rarely use the van for anything else) I'd personally be VERY loathe to give up the big lifting tailgate, for the same reason others have given: ie it's a really useful shelter when camping and it's chucking down and you're messing around with gear at the back of the van. It's also where I stand to prep the dog's food etc. Yes I know British rain is sometimes sideways, but nonetheless. :)

Re the suspension/body roll question, all vans and trucks I've ever driven are very sensitive to load conditions and the Cali is no exception. In general driving with a 'light camping' load I personally find the T5 SE handling not great, but good enough. Haven't tried a T6 Ocean. But as Skewif says, if you do want to stiffen it up, mod the suspension - there's tons of info on the forum about that.

Just curious -
Are you mainly talking about your drive back from your ex-French home?
Assuming fully loaded, did you put most of the weight in the van central area or just load up the rear?

Info on door description, the Cali has a tailgate, barn doors are on commercial vans - two doors that hinge at the sides.

I've had the same problem in car parks as you, tailgate up and cars waiting to pass as they were worried about hitting it if they went under. Worst case was open and close 3 times whilst trying to load up in order to be courteous to the queue that seemed to form only where I was parked. Now use side door most of the time for shopping trips.

Body roll is something that I'm still trying to resolve, annoyingly I was talked out of having the heavy duty ones fitted by the salesman when ordering. Should have looked on here prior to ordering. Intend to upgrade in New Year.
I think that the elevating roof and upper bed weights lift the centre of gravity over the base van which doesn't get compensated for during Cali conversion by VW.
Only solution is to spend on suspension upgrades.

Had a Peugeot based Motorhome previously and that had less of an issue with body roll.

Some strong views here. But for me this is a working tool, not a holiday toy. I have today booked the van in for a full suspension upgrade, coils,shockers and anti roll bars. This is all to take place in the new year and with luck it will handle as it should of done from the start.F

Just to add, the main weight was placed in the middle of the van. The rear was full of Christmas gifts. But that was only on the last leg. I started out from England driving into Italy and back up into france for a very boring meeting of which only 4 minutes out of an hour had anything to do with me, and that was only to hand the keys over.but the france are a nation of red tape and it just had to be done. The sad thing was watching armed troops on the streets of bayeux due to the number of unwanted immigrants in the area.on the return ferry crossing a group of French commandos got dropped by helicopter and walked around for an hour, god knows what good they would of done if a bomb had been placed, but I did feel so relieved that police had looked in my bag. F

When you posted this forum thread, I guess I was kind of hoping the "...what do I think" part in the title would be about the van.

:)

Some strong views here. But for me this is a working tool, not a holiday toy. I have today booked the van in for a full suspension upgrade, coils,shockers and anti roll bars. This is all to take place in the new year and with luck it will handle as it should of done from the start.F
VW should start to manufacture a California GTI, petrol of course, 245 ps engine and the full suspension kit, 20" wheels + body mods to cater for even bigger wheels, uprated 4 wheel drive etc.
Of course the price would increase by at least £10,000 but it would be a hoot.

Don't forget to inform your insurance company of the changes, they don't need much of an excuse to dismiss a claim.

Its on the company's insurance and I have given them details of the upgrades. But I know what you mean re insurance companies dismissing claims. F

Well I have just clocked up 4000 miles on my little European trip which included the van carrying some extra weight due to removing the last items from my French house due to completion of the sale. Due to the awful weather i did not camp, but used the services of a few nice hotels. But I found what I did like and not like about the van. The 204 bhp engine is strong and I never had a problem getting pass the HGV,s or some very bad French drivers. The drg gearbox was good and made town driving easy. However the big let down was body roll. The little roundabouts that the French so love made the van roll like a row boat at sea, not nice at all. The other point which became a pain was the large barn door, getting access to the rear in a supermarket car park in driving wind and rain was very not very nice and in the end things just got pushed into the van from the side door. The H7 headlights performed ok at all times on the unlit narrow French back roads, even in the driving rain, so nothing needed in that area. I don't have any idea of mpg, as I just fill up when needed. What improvement i can make are i think in the suspension area, better stock absorbers and roll bars will i am sure cut down on the body roll. I will let the van remain on its 17 inch wheels for the time being but will upgrade to 18 inch to cut down a bit on side wall movement at a later time. Am I happy with the vw, yes I am. F
Hi
I am in a similar position having clocked up 4,500 miles - and I agree with nearly all you say, al though I think it is still a bit underpowered (I should say at this pint that my day to day car is a discovery 4 which has plenty of power and air suspension)

2 points on the body roll (which I have to solve or sell the car) 1 air suspension looks a good option 2 I have just put some 19’’ Land Rover wheels on with 245 45 19 tyres (same rolling distance) and that has definitely improved the ride - so much so I wish I had put 20s on now

Otherwise I too am happy with the car - I do feel though that it is a bit behind the tones in terms of technology

Enjoy

Tim

Hello frenchie just a quick word of reassurance I’ve just had my bus dropped 30mm and heavy duty anti roll bars fitted it what a difference it makes I’m chuffed to bits with the handling and my wife’s concerns about it looking to “boy racer” in her opinion hasn’t happened. I’ll save that for my t4 project!! I’m always late joining these threads as I wait until the end of the week and read all the new ones sorry. Merry Xmas and happy campering all.

Hi. I don't think I wish to play around with the wheels. The state of todays roads I am sure would lead me to cracking an alloy or two, or some toe rag nicking them.I am reassured that the 30mm drop and upgraded anti roll bars work. And yes its sad that VW have not addressed the problems. but reading some posts on this site show that some people are happy paying thousands for a van which then needs further improvements to meet todays driving needs. I bet these same people stood around their horse nodding their heads when a horse less carriage passed, or came out with rubbish like humans would die if they went faster then a horse. Its all not taking place until march as I am busy building a new workshop for my cnc equipment until then, and then its off to Rome. F

I have to say, I wonder whether I have the same van or not. I do not get excessive roll on corners or roundabouts, and no one ever accused me of being an old dodderer, and I do bounce mine around on a lot of rough surfaces.

If I was doing a lot of off-road trecking, days that sadly are now in my history folder, I would want to modify the suspension, the crashing would just have to go if nothing else, and I would want to modify entry and departure angles, but general driving I have had no problem with in regard to handling. I do though respect that it is a heavy van and also has a van-derived suspension so perhaps I am subconsciously compensating when I drive it.

Otherwise, I find the whole vehicle, not isolated bits of it, a brilliant machine that has suited my needs brilliantly.

Back