Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

40mpg realistic for a T6.1 150 DSG Ocean?

I always drive on motorways at a terribly relaxed 60mph listening to wither Gold or Classic FM depending on my mood .....

Different story when I take the caravan off the back though :upsidedown

So now it's on the way, I was wondering what difference I'll see in economy from my T5 1.9tdi manual.

Over a long journey (don't use the van midweek) I get 40-42mpg - I'm very lightfooted, setting cruise control just a few km/h faster than the lorries.

Now it's on its way, I was wondering how it'll stack up against my old manual T5 1.9tdi in terms of economy. Interested in motorway economey really, as i don't use the van midweek etc.
Progress would suggest better, but the Ocean is heavier and automatic...

On a long journey I'm seeing 40-42mpg - I'm very lightfooted, setting the cruise control a few KMH faster than the lorries, rarely troubling the speed limit on French or Spanish motorways.

Read some economy threads but you all seem to boot it more than me!
Just been camping this weekend with Ocean 6.1 150 DSG and achieved 44.1 MPG

I have (or rather, had - it‘s just gone back pending delivery of new bike on Tuesday) a 214 BHP motorbike. Someone once asked me what MPG i got? What? - I fill it with fuel, ride it until the light comes on and then fill it up again. I am pretty much the same with the van, fill it up, drive to where I need to be at a speed that gets me there when I need to be there (always within the limits, of course, officer) and then fill it up again when the clever on board fuel gauge tells me I need to. I don’t really need to know what the MPG is. But that might just be me...

I have (or rather, had - it‘s just gone back pending delivery of new bike on Tuesday) a 214 BHP motorbike. Someone once asked me what MPG i got? What? - I fill it with fuel, ride it until the light comes on and then fill it up again. I am pretty much the same with the van, fill it up, drive to where I need to be at a speed that gets me there when I need to be there (always within the limits, of course, officer) and then fill it up again when the clever on board fuel gauge tells me I need to. I don’t really need to know what the MPG is. But that might just be me...
Same! 20 euros to brim it, no idea what MPG it gets.
Wondering what bikes you had/are getting? ZZR1400 here, I’m gentle with it but she still flies. Enough to happily cruise at 60mph in the van all day!

Same! 20 euros to brim it, no idea what MPG it gets.
Wondering what bikes you had/are getting? ZZR1400 here, I’m gentle with it but she still flies. Enough to happily cruise at 60mph in the van all day!
Last one a Ducati Panigale V4, Next one a Panigale V2 with (only) 155 BHP. Much more useable on the road and even (for someone with my current riding skills) on a track! Used to have a ZZR 600 on which I did 40,000 miles in 9 months as a dispatch rider in the 1990’s

well, the comment should be seen in its context. I think orbital 's comment was referring to Amarillo's driving habits on the motorway. Outside the motorway, I fully agree with you.
For reference, yesterday I drove 300mi straight, was trying to keep it at 140km/h or 88mph, on long downhills easily 150/160 km/h or 100mph.
This is german Autobahn, I usually commute this stretch with my Q7 at 200-240kph, traffic permitting and yesterday felt very boring at 140km/h.
But this was commuting from work to home, so the time "pressure" is different than when travelling leisurely.
Btw yesterday' consumption was about 30mpg, empty Ocean 150 DSG 4Motion with 235/55 17" Winter tyres, windout awning and bike rack (folded), just the driver.
have you had the cali flat out ? Curious what it would do indicated.

have you had the cali flat out ? Curious what it would do indicated.
I did. 180 km/h. I also tried on the autobahn on a couple km downhill and reached 200 km/h but it wasn't even overrevved yet and could have gone for more, as the 7th gear on dsg is very long. But I lifted the gas as I wasn't sure the wind out awning wouldn't detach or the bike rack.
it was a moment of nonsense as a Cali is not designed for that kind of driving.

Last one a Ducati Panigale V4, Next one a Panigale V2 with (only) 155 BHP. Much more useable on the road and even (for someone with my current riding skills) on a track! Used to have a ZZR 600 on which I did 40,000 miles in 9 months as a dispatch rider in the 1990’s
Nice! I’ve no real need for 200bhp but I didn’t choose the bike, it kind of chose me. Used to club race but got the ZZR after a 12 year layoff. Different beast to a TZ250!

I did. 180 km/h. I also tried on the autobahn on a couple km downhill and reached 200 km/h but it wasn't even overrevved yet and could have gone for more, as the 7th gear on dsg is very long. But I lifted the gas as I wasn't sure the wind out awning wouldn't detach or the bike rack.
it was a moment of nonsense as a Cali is not designed for that kind of driving.
yes, be frightening fuel use, the main reason keep to low speeds especially if its leisure and no hurry.

Just driven 91 miles, 90 miles of which on motorway/dual carriageway. Usually get ~40 mpg on this trip which I do about 15 return trips a year.

But today I had our tandem on the roof and two children’s bikes on the back: we only got 29.4mpg on the mfd.

When this post first came up I wondered what I was doing wrong as I rarely got more than 31mpg in our T6 beach on a long journey last year. Now we are at 6000 miles the economy seems to have improved a lot, regularly getting 36/37 on longer journeys.
We have the bike rack on the back, I imagine that will be increasing consumption

When this post first came up I wondered what I was doing wrong as I rarely got more than 31mpg in our T6 beach on a long journey last year. Now we are at 6000 miles the economy seems to have improved a lot, regularly getting 36/37 on longer journeys.
We have the bike rack on the back, I imagine that will be increasing consumption
A new engine needs to be run in, oil pressures are factory set to be higher during the initial period, the onboard computer adjusts the running in oil pressure after an initial period of time ( I think it’s 1500 miles).

when the engine is new all components are tighter and therefore they create more friction (hence the oil pressures are set higher) To compensate for this running in period where the engine is under greater load Due to the naturally higher friction.

when the engine and ancillary components wear under normal conditions as part of the bedding in process where the friction is reduced, allowing the engine to operate as it should do under less load. It’s quite normal for MPG to increase and settle down to the “normal” operating range Delivering an increased Fuel economy.

Just driven 91 miles, 90 miles of which on motorway/dual carriageway. Usually get ~40 mpg on this trip which I do about 15 return trips a year.

But today I had our tandem on the roof and two children’s bikes on the back: we only got 29.4mpg on the mfd.
We did a recent trip from home over GlenCoe to bridge of Orchy, about half the 43 miles was 30-40or 50mph limits, otherwise 60mph. The route goes to 350m above sea level and down to 70.
Before the glencoe it was 37mpg, at the high point 30mpg and over all 37mpg.
This soundsed low so check the tyre pressures, 0.1-.02 bar below what I like.
The return trip was round the coast, got 44mpg.
The cali has had mostly short journeys of late so i did wonder if there might be some regeneration going on.

We did a recent trip from home over GlenCoe to bridge of Orchy, about half the 43 miles was 30-40or 50mph limits, otherwise 60mph. The route goes to 350m above sea level and down to 70.
Before the glencoe it was 37mpg, at the high point 30mpg and over all 37mpg.
This soundsed low so check the tyre pressures, 0.1-.02 bar below what I like.
The return trip was round the coast, got 44mpg.
The cali has had mostly short journeys of late so i did wonder if there might be some regeneration going on.
Useful additional mpg on return. What tyre pressures do you like?

Back