Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone used a Just Kampers External Screen Cover

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
I know there are a lot of TaylorMade/SilverScreens fans on here, but has anyone any experience with the JK external cab screen cover? It's less than half the price of a TaylorMade (and I don't know how much less than a Silverscreen as their website is pants and they've not called me back yet).

Looks like it's not a one-piece (from the reviews) and it also looks a little thin and flimsy by comparison (you pays your money) but we have the brandrup isolite internal screen covers, so we could use both if needed. I was wondering if this JK version helps with condensation?

J15082-0_2.jpg

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t5-pa...-thermoscreen-silver-for-vw-t5-2003-2013.html

cheers,

Andy

i brought one from my 71 bay and it was cheap fitted ok for the money and did the job of keeping most of the light out ...very thin so no thermo properties in or out ,but did reflect the sun as it was silver ....i have a silver screen screen cover and it works very well ,but it is bulky and alot more money ....

i had a jk screen for my old T4 very thin didn't fit very well. one morning after it had been very damp in the night i woke to find dark streaks down the doors and wings, the dark colour on the inside of the screen cover had ran.Not impressed put it back in bag never used again was, left in van when i sold it.

Paul

You get what you pay for ! Get a thermal screen cover or you will still get condensation inside windows & regret your purchase. Cant beat Taylormade, excellent service. I also did not get reply to contact with silverscreens, so went for taylormade.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

We're in the market for a screen cover; but struggling to find a manufacturer that makes one specifically to fit the latest T5 door mirrors. Any suggestions or advice most welcome.

Cheers, looks like Taylormade it is then.

I'm not in the habit of buying junk, but as with the Inka / VW seat covers & Calitopper, you never know when something cheaper is decent, until you get feedback.

Homework duly done - there being previously no info on the JK item on here :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oldmtber said:
We're in the market for a screen cover; but struggling to find a manufacturer that makes one specifically to fit the latest T5 door mirrors. Any suggestions or advice most welcome.

Both Taylormade & Silverscreens make screen covers for Cali GP, the latest shape. I suggest you ring & talk to either or both. Although you may have more luck with Taylormade. Several of us have their screen cover.

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

I had the jk one for my old t4. Cheap really. Velcro around mirrors didn't hold, whole thing stretched in rain. Lots of flapping and ended up being the norm to gaffer tape and bungee it down each night or a sleepless night from the flapping. Very thin and good for reflecting sun and light but not really thermal.

Interesting comments re: buy cheap, buy twice... Etc. and tend to agree, however bought the JK Thermo screen cover from Volksworld last weekend, bargain at 29 quid, and used it all this weekend down to -3 with no condensation!!... Chuffed!!

I have Taylor made silver screen which is great but too bulky for long summer trips. I bought a thinner one from Bromsgrove Auto traders. It's a polyester canvas type fabric. It's sturdy enough not to flap, blocks all the light, fits face lift T5, choice of colours and choice of decorative decals. It is very reasonably priced and is the best bit of kit I have bought so far!
We even used it for shopping trips to keep van cool and when using it as a changing room for the beach. It hooks over the doors with Velcro around the mirrors. Easy peasy.
So it worked well in 35+ in the summer and -6 this weekend...no condensation.

Yep! I've got a navy one with hibiscus flowers on! The photo makes them look more flimsy than they are though.
How do you find yours?

I find it very easy to put on and take off it completely blacks out the cab and it folds up so
Small it fits under the front drivers seat obviously there is no thermal property's there but I love using mine :thumb

Calikev and Fleur - As it has no thermal properties why do you think these external blinds are better than the VW supplied (internal) blinds? Thanks.

Kev, Bleur... Just when I thought I'd made my mind up cheers! :)

Where did you guys get them? I can't find Bromsgrove Auto Traders, just a couple of listings for Bromsgrove motor factors and Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers (but neither seem to do these covers)

P, I'm looking at these outer covers as, despite having the (dodgy) VW and (better) Brandrup internal blinds, it's my understanding that a cover outside will limit any condensation build up at the front. If its especially cold I can always use both, which was my original thinking.

Hi andy I can't seem to find them now prehaps they have stopped making them
I know nick at comfortz leisure will make you one give him a call I believe he also intends to make an insulated version :thumb

Hi .. Try www.batvw.com

This is the Bromsgrove site showing screen covers etc.

I'm very happy with mine, made to order and delivered in a matter of days.

Excellent, I shall give them a shout!

Cheers for all your help guys

Andy

I have the internal blinds with poles which are a right faff. The external goes on & off so easily and doesn't disturb anything you may have put on the dash overnight. They look cool too as you can personalise them!
Last weekend went down to -6 and the heater was on overnight and there was no condensation.
Sorry, it was batvw. They kept me informed via text & had done in days.

Hi, re the jk screen cover, I have one similar (may even be the same) from CMC
based in cheshire, the appeal for me is the very small pack size, will fit easily into
the glove box. I did also try silver screens but found them to bulky to store.
Just used it last week in Norfolk, very cold at night and no condensation.
I also like the look of the BAT screen cover but the total blackout put me off, prefer
a bit of light in the van.
Sometimes cheap doesn,t mean rubbish, I love my little screen, had it since 2005 and still going strong.

Thanks Paul, it's definitely worth a second look then!

How bulky are the silver screens and taylormades pls ? Where do people store them ? Can they go up beneath the roof?

In a massive motor home there is obviously the space to justify 100 per cent condensation elimination with a bulky product. But in the Cali, space is rather at a premium

If the Cmc stops condensation and packs down small, I might give it a go

They are a little bulky but you can sandwich it between things very easily ( but not up in the roof ) we just store ours in the back along with all the other camping gear. They are a 'must have' accessory in my opinion and you do take it out the van as soon as you arrive on site so it only takes up a bit of room when travelling. We have tried various types over the years and found the Taylormade and Silverscreens are the best out there.

I have the JK thermo screen.
It's ok, not a bad product for the money. Packs fairly small which makes it easier to store. The only downside is the 3 panels are separate pieces and Velcro together. In France last year we had a night of strong winds and it blew the cover apart.

Otherwise for occasional summer camping it should be more than upto the job.