Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

40mpg realistic for a T6.1 150 DSG Ocean?

interesting there no mention of speed related distance, sounds fixed by this.
I think you set your speed like ordinary cruise control, and it will keep you at that speed until you come up behind a slower vehicle, when the ACC will keep you at your chosen distance behind until that vehicle changes lane.

I think you set your speed like ordinary cruise control, and it will keep you at that speed until you come up behind a slower vehicle, when the ACC will keep you at your chosen distance behind until that vehicle changes lane.
I took that to mean your preference, which can not be even on closest an unsafe distance for any given speed. Fairly simple to extend the distance as speed increases but surprised if VW don't do that for ACC, they do for the entertainment system, louder as speed increases.

ACC won't let the vehicle undertake. When we went to France for the first few minutes it wouldn't let us overtake, it still thought we were trying to undertake. Then a few minutes later the vehicle somehow (GPS?) realised we were in France and all was good again. Very clever.

ACC won't let the vehicle undertake. When we went to France for the first few minutes it wouldn't let us overtake, it still thought we were trying to undertake. Then a few minutes later the vehicle somehow (GPS?) realised we were in France and all was good again. Very clever.
Hmm but when you’re in a rolling traffic jam you want to be able to. Was I naive in thinking you could let the ACC take the strain?
Also, are there settings for how hard the ACC will accelerate, eg to maximise mpg?

I took that to mean your preference, which can not be even on closest an unsafe distance for any given speed. Fairly simple to extend the distance as speed increases but surprised if VW don't do that for ACC, they do for the entertainment system, louder as speed increases.
It does automatically increase the distance as speed increases. Generally mine is on closest possible setting. At motorway speed that’s a good few car lengths back from the car in front, round town at crawling speeds the same setting gives a couple of foot.

Hmm but when you’re in a rolling traffic jam you want to be able to. Was I naive in thinking you could let the ACC take the strain?
Also, are there settings for how hard the ACC will accelerate, eg to maximise mpg?
Yes there is a setting for how quick it accelerates, I’ve got mine on fastest, judging by how slow that is, I suspect eco just waits for a downhill bit to accelerate.

You can override the acc at any point by pressing the accelerator ie to undertake.
Also indicating has the same effect, it assumes you are now aware of the slower vehicle in front and intend changing lanes so doesn’t slow you down.

It does automatically increase the distance as speed increases. Generally mine is on closest possible setting. At motorway speed that’s a good few car lengths back from the car in front, round town at crawling speeds the same setting gives a couple of foot.

I have my setting on maximum -1 distance, and find it very comfortable on the motorway. I can even use that setting to follow the driver ahead through a roundabout.

Yes there is a setting for how quick it accelerates, I’ve got mine on fastest, judging by how slow that is, I suspect eco just waits for a downhill bit to accelerate.

You can override the acc at any point by pressing the accelerator ie to undertake.
Also indicating has the same effect, it assumes you are now aware of the slower vehicle in front and intend changing lanes so doesn’t slow you down.

I have mine on the economical setting and find the acceleration perfect. If I need a bit of a boost I just tap the accelerator pedal.

But perhaps the T6 ACC is somewhat different to the T6.1.

It does automatically increase the distance as speed increases. Generally mine is on closest possible setting. At motorway speed that’s a good few car lengths back from the car in front, round town at crawling speeds the same setting gives a couple of foot
Thats what I thought, always impressed that it can handle some tight curves following vehicles and also regulates the acceleration depending not the steering angle.
The only annoying bit is it's sometime a bit slow to detect that car slowing and turning in is out the way. A push of the accelerator sorts that out.

In the above you can see a dip in the MPG about two years ago. That was when we had a problem with the manifold gasket (?)
How did you find out that you had the problem? Our DSG beach is averaging under 30mpg, though quite a few of the journeys have had bikes on which can't help. And I suspect even the empty bike rack increases fuel consumption

How did you find out that you had the problem? Our DSG beach is averaging under 30mpg, though quite a few of the journeys have had bikes on which can't help. And I suspect even the empty bike rack increases fuel consumption

The was, on occasion, a mild diesel smell in the van. Not enough to be a particular concern but sufficient for me to mention it when it was next due a service. They new exactly what it was and had the part ready for a warranty repair when I brought it in for a service and first MOT.

On four tanks I have managed over 40mpg on brim to brim measurements. All four occasions involved substantial sections of motorway, and three of the four occasions were in a fully packed van with bikes on the tailgate.

More typically we get 35-38mpg.

Like you I enjoy my driving at a gentle pace, setting the cruise control at 58mph to keep out of the way of HGVs. I coast on downhill sections.

The MFD routinely overstates the MPG by between 2 and 5 mpg.
don't you get bored at 58mph ?
Of course it depends how far you have to go, to make it a tangible difference on the time spent travelling. But if going on holiday , let say you plan a 300miles day, I'd rather spend a few quids more but reduce the time travelling especially for the kids.
A big advantage of the California is that one can travel faster and anyway more economical than a big white.
Fully loaded with bikes on the tailgate rack I travel 130/140km/h or let's say 80-85mph (traffic permitting).
MDF says 10 l/100km, that translates to 28.4mpg . I think my MDF if about 0,5 liters too optimistic.
Mind you mine is a 4M albeit on 215 tires. This difference equates to 15L more spent by me on a 300mi stretch. So it costs me less than 20€ , but it saves me 1,5 hours....

Of course it depends how far you have to go, to make it a tangible difference on the time spent travelling. But if going on holiday , let say you plan a 300miles day, I'd rather spend a few quids more but reduce the time travelling especially for the kids.
A big advantage of the California is that one can travel faster and anyway more economical than a big white.
Fully loaded with bikes on the tailgate rack I travel 130/140km/h or let's say 80-85mph (traffic permitting).
MDF says 10 l/100km, that translates to 28.4mpg . I think my MDF if about 0,5 liters too optimistic.
Mind you mine is a 4M albeit on 215 tires. This difference equates to 15L more spent by me on a 300mi stretch. So it costs me less than 20€ , but it saves me 1,5 hours....

We blasted down to Blanes two years ago at 140kph on the motorway. It’s not so bad late at night when the roads are empty. But on Britain’s busy motorways 58 is far more relaxing. You hardly ever have to brake, and just sit in the inside lane only moving out to pass HGVs.

The longest trip we regularly make is on the A20/M25/A3/A27 between SE London and Emsworth. It takes 1h40 with cruise control at 70, average speed 57mph; and 1h50 with cruise control at 58, average speed 52mph. So although the ACC is set 12mph slower, the average speed is just 6mph slower.

And it’s so much more relaxing.

150hp Manual box Type6 Ocean, 40 Mpg?......We get an indicated 40-43 Mpg, hardly run in at 4500 ish miles

We always make the journey part of the holiday, visits here and there, stop for a good meal, visit the local market. So for us a max speed of about 62mph is great and not stressful. With a 150 DSG LWB high top has given us 36mpg over 22,000 miles. Occasionally tank to tank we get 40, and 43 on one trip only.

We blasted down to Blanes two years ago at 140kph on the motorway. It’s not so bad late at night when the roads are empty. But on Britain’s busy motorways 58 is far more relaxing. You hardly ever have to brake, and just sit in the inside lane only moving out to pass HGVs.

The longest trip we regularly make is on the A20/M25/A3/A27 between SE London and Emsworth. It takes 1h40 with cruise control at 70, average speed 57mph; and 1h50 with cruise control at 58, average speed 52mph. So although the ACC is set 12mph slower, the average speed is just 6mph slower.

And it’s so much more relaxing.
what's the difference in fuel consumption bewteen 70 set and 58 set ?

Wind resistance can make a big difference. M4 to London during a winter westerly storm cruise set at 70. 42 mpg going 28mpg returning. 180 4Motion.

Wind resistance alone probably makes as much as 10% difference, but you also end up doing more slowing and accelerating at faster speeds and that adds to fuel consumption.

But for us it is not a cost issue. It has more to do with the environment and comfort with a time sacrifice.

Wind resistance alone probably makes as much as 10% difference, but you also end up doing more slowing and accelerating at faster speeds and that adds to fuel consumption.

But for us it is not a cost issue. It has more to do with the environment and comfort with a time sacrifice.
Yes, I tend be very mindful the California is a high emissions vehicle and the mfd reminds me it uses 20% more fuel than our Caddy maxi camper driven with less care with the similar Equipment, thought not as practical.

Sorry my question was not clear enough, I was referring the mpg difference on your journey A20/M25/A3/A27 between SE London and Emsworth, you specified the time difference being small but didn't mention the mpg difference.

I agree a more constant speed being good for mpg which I feel contributes to the 20% fuel difference from the caddy as the excessive body roll of the California vs the caddy makes conserving momentum and avoiding acceleration much harder.

Maybe the body roll is for the best was best as it would just eat the front tyres even faster.

I think the difference would be huge. When we head down through France (loaded with towbar bikes), we try to maintain 40mpg by driving at under 70mph. Heading home sometimes involves some 80mph stints, which give terrible mpg.

During a previous period of regular Kent to SE London commute, I swear that a the VW campaign (with adblue vouchers) severely reduced my mpg...

Yes, I tend be very mindful the California is a high emissions vehicle and the mfd reminds me it uses 20% more fuel than our Caddy maxi camper driven with less care with the similar Equipment, thought not as practical.

Sorry my question was not clear enough, I was referring the mpg difference on your journey A20/M25/A3/A27 between SE London and Emsworth, you specified the time difference being small but didn't mention the mpg difference.

I agree a more constant speed being good for mpg which I feel contributes to the 20% fuel difference from the caddy as the excessive body roll of the California vs the caddy makes conserving momentum and avoiding acceleration much harder.

Maybe the body roll is for the best was best as it would just eat the front tyres even faster.

We are planning a return trip to Emsworth on 15 April, about the first time we are allowed to stay overnight.

I’ll conduct an experiment: ACC no higher than 58 outward, and at the speed limit on the return. I’ll note the MPG on the trip computer.

We are planning a return trip to Emsworth on 15 April, about the first time we are allowed to stay overnight.

I’ll conduct an experiment: ACC no higher than 58 outward, and at the speed limit on the return. I’ll note the MPG on the trip computer.
Be interesting should be much higher.
I wished the acc setting carried over to the DSG gear selection.
I find mine changing down much easier with light accelerator than I would when I just want to hold speed.
Manual selection in the same situation showed it was fine with no labouring.
I enjoy chasing the higher mpg, yes its sad but it reduces the environmental impact brake wear, 15% at 12K last service from new.

If its the environment you are trying to save, why not use the A3 all the way from central London and chop 20% off the distance?

You would do 12 miles more of city driving to replace 32 miles of A20/M25

Saving a few MPG is a waste if you are doing loads of extra miles in the first place.

If its the environment you are trying to save, why not use the A3 all the way from central London and chop 20% off the distance?

You would do 12 miles more of city driving to replace 32 miles of A20/M25

Saving a few MPG is a waste if you are doing loads of extra miles in the first place.

Because the typical journey time increases from under two hours to over two hours, so I doubt there is any environmental saving, and there’s the comfort factor of stop/go city driving and ACC NSL driving.

I have a 150 DSG 6.1 Ocean. Now covered just shy of 6,000 miles. Not a daily driver so when we go out it is normally on a longer run. I travel at just over 70mph, when the limit allows. Without ACC (adaptive cruise control) you will get a higher mpg. I have seen high 30s but not low 40s. However if you are travelling slightly quicker than the HGVs then I think you should be able to get just over 40mpg.

One trick I have found is when going downhill. The DSG is brilliant but will often hold a gear, our even change down a gear. If you want the gears to disengage, and it has not done it automatically, then knock it into manual then back to auto and it will go into "eco" mode, which is basically neutral. That drives up the mpg on long downhills!
I get high twenties. There is an option, i think called cruise or coast, that when enabled automatically puts the drive in neutral when you throttle off on downhills etc. I enabled it then promptly forgot about it.

I get high twenties. There is an option, i think called cruise or coast, that when enabled automatically puts the drive in neutral when you throttle off on downhills etc. I enabled it then promptly forgot about it.
High twenties seems very low, it would be useful if members with widely varying consumption figures also listed their power, gearbox, if 4motion, tyre size and driving style, there must be a logical reason for the differences.
My long term average is currently 40.5 mpg, 150 ps, dsg, FWD on 17 x 215 x 60 108 /107 tyres and drive like I have all the time in the world.

Back