Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

40mpg realistic for a T6.1 150 DSG Ocean?

High twenties seems very low, it would be useful if members with widely varying consumption figures also listed their power, gearbox, if 4motion, tyre size and driving style, there must be a logical reason for the differences.
My long term average is currently 40.5 mpg, 150 ps, dsg, FWD on 17 x 215 x 60 108 /107 tyres and drive like I have all the time in the world.
Your spec and driving style looks like the most mpg friendly possible for an Ocean. I wonder if anyone can beat 40.5mpg

High twenties seems very low, it would be useful if members with widely varying consumption figures also listed their power, gearbox, if 4motion, tyre size and driving style, there must be a logical reason for the differences.
My long term average is currently 40.5 mpg, 150 ps, dsg, FWD on 17 x 215 x 60 108 /107 tyres and drive like I have all the time in the world.
Well, it is an auto, 2018, fwd, 150ps, 18" x 245 (I think). It sometimes cracks 30mpg :) . It doesn't get pushed - even if I try to drive economically it doesn't change. I have a sporty x5 that I can get 40mpg out of if I drive it in the same economical manner. Bit perplexed.

I have a 150 DSG 6.1 Ocean. Now covered just shy of 6,000 miles. Not a daily driver so when we go out it is normally on a longer run. I travel at just over 70mph, when the limit allows. Without ACC (adaptive cruise control) you will get a higher mpg. I have seen high 30s but not low 40s. However if you are travelling slightly quicker than the HGVs then I think you should be able to get just over 40mpg.

One trick I have found is when going downhill. The DSG is brilliant but will often hold a gear, our even change down a gear. If you want the gears to disengage, and it has not done it automatically, then knock it into manual then back to auto and it will go into "eco" mode, which is basically neutral. That drives up the mpg on long downhills!
Or just blip the accelerator. That puts into coasting mode.

I think the difference would be huge. When we head down through France (loaded with towbar bikes), we try to maintain 40mpg by driving at under 70mph. Heading home sometimes involves some 80mph stints, which give terrible mpg.

During a previous period of regular Kent to SE London commute, I swear that a the VW campaign (with adblue vouchers) severely reduced my mpg...
I think the difference would be huge. When we head down through France (loaded with towbar bikes), we try to maintain 40mpg by driving at under 70mph. Heading home sometimes involves some 80mph stints, which give terrible mpg.

During a previous period of regular Kent to SE London commute, I swear that a the VW campaign (with adblue vouchers) severely reduced my mpg...
150 DSG Beach (boot loaded)
Past 1144miles shows 35.7mpg on dash
This is mostly villages, backroads and urban (average speed 24mph!)

So now it's on the way, I was wondering what difference I'll see in economy from my T5 1.9tdi manual.

Over a long journey (don't use the van midweek) I get 40-42mpg - I'm very lightfooted, setting cruise control just a few km/h faster than the lorries.

Now it's on its way, I was wondering how it'll stack up against my old manual T5 1.9tdi in terms of economy. Interested in motorway economey really, as i don't use the van midweek etc.
Progress would suggest better, but the Ocean is heavier and automatic...

On a long journey I'm seeing 40-42mpg - I'm very lightfooted, setting the cruise control a few KMH faster than the lorries, rarely troubling the speed limit on French or Spanish motorways.

Read some economy threads but you all seem to boot it more than me!
My Coast now run in at 2500 miles. I'm getting 40/41 mpg on a mix of local trips and 100/150 mile round trips in East Anglia.. ACC 70mph on dual carriageway, light footed manual on two lane roads. Pleasantly surprised - if VW computer is to be relied on.

Some encouraging stats here, thanks for sharing. I was wondering why autos were thirstier, you’d imagine ACC and DSG taking the human out of the equation would be better for MPG?
Probably the smoothest run I do (pre covid) was up to Bordeaux and back, 5h pan-flat, usually tailwind home = 43mpg measured brim to brim. I get near that too if doing the long haul up to the Lakes, some 2200 miles.
Winding motorways along the north coast or going up to Pyrenees see it drop to 36mpg. If I can get somewhere near those figures I’ll be happy!

Some encouraging stats here, thanks for sharing. I was wondering why autos were thirstier, you’d imagine ACC and DSG taking the human out of the equation would be better for MPG?
Probably the smoothest run I do (pre covid) was up to Bordeaux and back, 5h pan-flat, usually tailwind home = 43mpg measured brim to brim. I get near that too if doing the long haul up to the Lakes, some 2200 miles.
Winding motorways along the north coast or going up to Pyrenees see it drop to 36mpg. If I can get somewhere near those figures I’ll be happy!

My record on a long run was 18.2 km/l (51.4 mpg) from the trip computer and 16.4 km/l (46.3 mpg) from a brim to brim measurement (I did over fill on the refuel at the end of the trip, so the 46.3 is likely to be an underestimate).

The trip was 638km in winter half on Sicily’s empty motorways and half on good single carriageway roads. It included a mountain pass and a range of weather from sunlight to sleet.

The van was empty except me and my four year old son. T6 150 DSG Beach with ACC set at a sedate 70 kph to enjoy the views.

3d9021d58942501ce5791eb79560ccff.jpg

05e3c056070a41eff88faa662fb0b5ec.jpg

2f8f78b470a25756e6bd54b62dc02e24.jpg

df167619f5e7cc411997939253bf5d83.jpg

Last edited:
ACC holds the DSG in gear, while in in D (if selected it) drops in the neutral when lifting off, this makes a huge difference to MPG as do tyre pressures. My long term trip 2 per tank is about 37mpg, highland A roads, lots of tight turns and slow sections, aiming for 50-60mph, so not bad really.
on 235-55-17 Goodyear vectors which knock a little off the mpg and have a solar panel which I am sure adds some drag. vans done 12k miles, 150 dsg

10mpg reduction for an extra 10mph doesn't sound like a good use of fuel. Is 56mph still considered the optimal speed to maximise mpg?

I think 56mph/90kmh is an arbitrary number to allow vehicles to be compared? Although it may well be the most economical speed for many, perhaps the manufacturer also tunes the gearing and curves to ensure max economy is delivered at 56…
Wasn’t there a MG Metro that would return 100mpg doing 20 in top?

10mpg reduction for an extra 10mph doesn't sound like a good use of fuel. Is 56mph still considered the optimal speed to maximise mpg?
It’s worth it when you’re going to miss your ferry otherwise!

Seriously though, on the outward journey I try to follow the @Amarillo chilled philosophy (almost) and enjoy a leisurely stopover in an aire. The journey home tends to be propelled by ‘get-home-itis’ however!

Each to his own. Lots of people have sacrificed comfort for speed in choosing a California over a larger Motorhome, hence would always drive at 130kph. They would also feel that the road tolls are paid to cut journey times, hence why drive slower?
Others would shudder at the environmental or financial impact of regularly hammering it up and down (down and up) the continent.

Seriously though, on the outward journey I try to follow the @Amarillo chilled philosophy (almost) and enjoy a leisurely stopover in an aire. The journey home tends to be propelled by ‘get-home-itis’ however!

Each to his own. Lots of people have sacrificed comfort for speed in choosing a California over a larger Motorhome, hence would always drive at 130kph. They would also feel that the road tolls are paid to cut journey times, hence why drive slower?
Others would shudder at the environmental or financial impact of regularly hammering it up and down (down and up) the continent.
Always good to have the option to

Yes I have a foot in both camps. Always good to have the option to travel at 80mph, I have felt comfortable on a quiet autobahn covering distance at 90mph in a T5 conversion hammering home once (which was in my mind as I spec'd the 80L fuel tank). But mostly I'm happy at slower speeds to conserve fuel (be safer and relax into the journey) which is really why I spec'd the 150 engine. I wonder if you regularly travel at 90mph you might get more miles per gallon with a 204 engine?

I’ve just driven to Folkestone.
63 miles
1h31m
42.6mpg on the display

I set the ACC at 58 mph on the M20 and 5mph below the speed limit on the urban sections of the A20. However, there was a long section of contraflow on the M20 with a 50 limit and drive through Covid testing on the tunnel bound carriageway

I’ll repeat the journey home with the ACC set at 70 or the speed limit to give a fair comparison.
T6 150 DSG with 17” 235 tyres.

Driver and 4 passengers all under 8 years old.

63 miles
1h31m
42.6mpg on the display

I set the ACC at 58 mph on the M20 and 5mph below the speed limit on the urban sections of the A20. However, there was a long section of contraflow on the M20 with a 50 limit and drive through Covid testing on the tunnel bound carriageway

I’ll repeat the journey home with the ACC set at 70 or the speed limit to give a fair comparison.
T6 150 DSG with 17” 235 tyres.

Driver and 4 passengers all under 8 years old.
Boot loaded with chickens on the return leg, though?

Always good to have the option to

Yes I have a foot in both camps. Always good to have the option to travel at 80mph, I have felt comfortable on a quiet autobahn covering distance at 90mph in a T5 conversion hammering home once (which was in my mind as I spec'd the 80L fuel tank). But mostly I'm happy at slower speeds to conserve fuel (be safer and relax into the journey) which is really why I spec'd the 150 engine. I wonder if you regularly travel at 90mph you might get more miles per gallon with a 204 engine?
the 204 might sustain higher gears than the 150 on the long hills. I noticed there's a long hill after a 50 limit near us, on ACC at 50mph its down to 5th at hill top. The same hill at 60mph it might drop to 6th. Which uses less fuel is a test to do I think.

63 miles
1h31m
42.6mpg on the display

Return journey
61 miles
1h19m
40.0mpg on the MFD

I think it was a reasonably fair test. The sat nav took me a different way out of Folkestone from the way in.

Slow 3-way temporary lights on the way in to Folkestone, some congestion getting out. Similar traffic levels at the A20 lights in Sidcup and Eltham both ways.

When slowing from 70 to 50 and 50 to 40 I did so on coast rather than use the brake.

16 miles of 50mph Operation Brock contraflow both ways on the M20.

So driving at 70 saved 12 minutes at a cost of 2.6mpg when compared with driving at 58mph. However, the actual length of 70mph A20/M20 driven was 54 - 16 = 38 miles.

We blasted down to Blanes two years ago at 140kph on the motorway. It’s not so bad late at night when the roads are empty. But on Britain’s busy motorways 58 is far more relaxing. You hardly ever have to brake, and just sit in the inside lane only moving out to pass HGVs.

The longest trip we regularly make is on the A20/M25/A3/A27 between SE London and Emsworth. It takes 1h40 with cruise control at 70, average speed 57mph; and 1h50 with cruise control at 58, average speed 52mph. So although the ACC is set 12mph slower, the average speed is just 6mph slower.

And it’s so much more relaxing.
One man’s ‘relaxing’ is another man’s ‘boredom’.

One man’s ‘relaxing’ is another man’s ‘boredom’.
I feel in another life I would blast it too and prefer to carry speed thought the corners.
Sadly std California suspension doesn't allow that on anything vaguely twisty without passenger travel sickness and they seem to eat tyres, well the OEM Bridgestones anyway in the bends at any real speed.
The more gentle approach seems more in keeping with the design in the twisty highlands anyway !

I feel in another life I would blast it too and prefer to carry speed thought the corners.
Sadly std California suspension doesn't allow that on anything vaguely twisty without passenger travel sickness and they seem to eat tyres, well the OEM Bridgestones anyway in the bends at any real speed.
The more gentle approach seems more in keeping with the design in the twisty highlands anyway !
well, the comment should be seen in its context. I think orbital 's comment was referring to Amarillo's driving habits on the motorway. Outside the motorway, I fully agree with you.
For reference, yesterday I drove 300mi straight, was trying to keep it at 140km/h or 88mph, on long downhills easily 150/160 km/h or 100mph.
This is german Autobahn, I usually commute this stretch with my Q7 at 200-240kph, traffic permitting and yesterday felt very boring at 140km/h.
But this was commuting from work to home, so the time "pressure" is different than when travelling leisurely.
Btw yesterday' consumption was about 30mpg, empty Ocean 150 DSG 4Motion with 235/55 17" Winter tyres, windout awning and bike rack (folded), just the driver.

well, the comment should be seen in its context. I think orbital 's comment was referring to Amarillo's driving habits on the motorway. Outside the motorway, I fully agree with you.
For reference, yesterday I drove 300mi straight, was trying to keep it at 140km/h or 88mph, on long downhills easily 150/160 km/h or 100mph.
This is german Autobahn, I usually commute this stretch with my Q7 at 200-240kph, traffic permitting and yesterday felt very boring at 140km/h.
But this was commuting from work to home, so the time "pressure" is different than when travelling leisurely.
Btw yesterday' consumption was about 30mpg, empty Ocean 150 DSG 4Motion with 235/55 17" Winter tyres, windout awning and bike rack (folded), just the driver.
Thats not bad mpg really, yes I find it hard on the motorway, Cali is quiet. 70mph seems slow !

Thats not bad mpg really, yes I find it hard on the motorway, Cali is quiet. 70mph seems slow !
I have a motorbike that'll go somewhere north of 200mph but my sense of things happening too quickly to process is reached long before that speed!
Consequently I have no problem clicking my van's cruise control to 58mph and tuning to BBC R4 ;)

Which partly put me off the 204

Just done Gloucestershire to Helston Cornwall, 236 miles at 38mpg. LWB 150 DSG High-Top. Fairly happy with that ☺️

Back