Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion California Returns

fd4f08422ba4a1bf43a9946bc6688e2f.jpg

43e689bf8ccafc14a94690d634273802.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hard to see but are those Monotube AT1 wheels? 18 inchers?

Hard to see but are those Monotube AT1 wheels? 18 inchers?

Your vision is very good, that’s exactly what they are! If I had my time again I would have gone for the 17”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats on the roof?

A couple of Front Runner wolf pack boxes. I also keep a pair of recovery boards up there but they see most use as a levelling aid.

Your vision is very good, that’s exactly what they are! If I had my time again I would have gone for the 17”

Been looking at the AT2's. Any particular reason why 17"? Allows for chunkier tyres?

Been looking at the AT2's. Any particular reason why 17"? Allows for chunkier tyres?

A bit more rubber would probably take the harshness off the BFG KO2’s. Great tyres in terms of grip and durability but the trade off is they do thump over pot holes! I reckon the 18” would be fine with a more supple tyre though.

just like a land rover defender lol

Exactly! I never seemed to mind in my old Landy - noise, rattled and bits falling off is to be expected. I’m paranoid about rattles in the van though!

Did you get rock sliders for yours in the end? I’m toying with some underside protection for some extra peace of mind but am wary about adding any more weight

Yep Twin Monotube Projekt is the name of the company. AT1 and AT2 etc are a couple of the wheel designs they produce.

Ahh, my bad. In that case I think mine are AT1’s in black
89d4e27cd5b874887c71f9ad89468cb5.jpg

I’ve never understood the bias for either 4M or 204.
I’ve seen people driving to snowy northern Norway with 2WD, keeping pace with a 4WD. It’s all about the tyres. Been on plenty of muddy fields and still haven’t needed my mats, just let off the brake and leave the throttle til you’re rolling.
The 150 darts off the line, wheels spinning if you want. I’ve never wished I had more power.
I’d rather keep £6,786 for a fortnight in the Maldives, and the extra mpg.
One must keep in mind that the extra outlay for a 4M comes back when you sell it. So it doesn't actually costs anything to have it, I might risk saying 4M are in demand on the second hand market, especially now that they haven't been produced for a while.

One must keep in mind that the extra outlay for a 4M comes back when you sell it. So it doesn't actually costs anything to have it, I might risk saying 4M are in demand on the second hand market, especially now that they haven't been produced for a while.
As mentioned previous, you gain from 4M at both ends. It's cheaper per month because the residuals are higher and if you can find a buyer that wants it you will be able to get a premium over non 4M. The only reason we did not get it was in 21/22 it was an extra 3 - 6 months on what was already a 12 month wait.

As a matter of interest can anyone recall the price prior to it being withdrawn last time?
I paid £77k for 4Motion Ocean
With 9% discount
Ordered July and collected 30th Nov 2022.
Options were:
Black pearl
Discovery media pro
High beam auto
Wood effect floor
4 keys
18” palmestons
Difflock
Removable towbar and side assist
5 year warranty and 2 free services

Looks like the 204 4 Mo is your ideal California.
I've had the odd fast car, but in reality i rarely drive fast, preferring to keep to smaller/scenic roads. I'm thinking the 4 wheel drive would be handy sometimes, and i imagine it does a better job of getting the power down than the 204 FWD (which i found spins the wheels too easily). Of course you can choose to drive powerful cars sedately, and the extra power can make for a more leisurely "character".
Does the 4 Mo sit higher than the FWD? And have you found it reliable? Some report that it is sensitive to tyre wear, have you had any issues?
Done 10k miles in 11 months.
IMO.
The 4M MY23 drives a whole heap different to MY20 204 FWD both 6.1’s
Pulling out of a junction, a bit wet, with my 18” Palmerstons and Michelin Winter contacts on, I can actually get the rear wheel to spin a little, by just the right amount of right hoof.
Love it.
Suspension is a lot stiffer and it feels planted.

The Kato 17” are sublime ;)

d0fec80a-39c4-4c54-b521-5657c8151ff8.jpeg

17” Kato’s, Highly reccomended.
Going to swap the comforser’s for Wildpeak AT next spring and see how they fare

Exactly! I never seemed to mind in my old Landy - noise, rattled and bits falling off is to be expected. I’m paranoid about rattles in the van though!

Did you get rock sliders for yours in the end? I’m toying with some underside protection for some extra peace of mind but am wary about adding any more weight

not yet i like the hess ones but expensive but they fully protect the sill i cant find any fitting instructions for them either
i also like the hess magnetic side rails for attaching the recovery boards

View attachment 116339

17” Kato’s, Highly reccomended.
Going to swap the comforser’s for Wildpeak AT next spring and see how they fare
The Falken Wildpeak AT Trails look like a worthy option. Good reviews and the road manners are not too compromised vs OEM. I'm leaning more towards a slightly oversized crossover tyre design on 17" wheels.

not yet i like the hess ones but expensive but they fully protect the sill i cant find any fitting instructions for them either
i also like the hess magnetic side rails for attaching the recovery boards

I have side rails but not from Hess. I don’t use them for recovery boards all the time (they live on the roof) but have attached molle panels instead for camp storage.

As mentioned previous, you gain from 4M at both ends. It's cheaper per month because the residuals are higher and if you can find a buyer that wants it you will be able to get a premium over non 4M. The only reason we did not get it was in 21/22 it was an extra 3 - 6 months on what was already a 12 month wait.
Not cheaper per month on HP sadly. If I was going PCP, I might employ this logic.

0% HP financing is pretty compelling when base rate is 5.25%

Not sure why I’d pay ca 8% for PCP.
My understanding is the 0% is with a 50% deposit, so HP vs PCP and future RV is likely an irrelevant point in that case. I’d agree, with 0% and if you had a 40K deposit, makes sense.

Thankfully we didnt pay 8%, but then the economy hadn't gone to hell in a green bus after being Trussed when we bought ours.