Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion California Returns

Well, I wouldn’t suggest people without a degree of financial resilience get involved with £80K vans for starters. If a 50% deposit is not on hand, folks would be better off taking out a bank loan to drum it up and use VW’s free 50% over 5 years, than pay compounding interest on a big balloon under PCP.

Do you live in the real world?

Banks don't dish out £40k unsecured loans - thats why people use PCP & HP. If you asked them nicely for a £40k loan just to use as a deposit you would get laughed out the place.

On the back of all of this talk, I have this morning just placed my order for a 4M Ocean with a few toys. My 22 4M Ocean should sell well in the Spring when the new one arrives as newish 2nd ones are scarce, and I probably only need to put in a few shekels for the changeover.
Also with no-brainer finance available, I will actually get money back!
Question is, how long will the 4M door remain open for? VW have form for shutting the door moments after it is open!

Do you live in the real world?

Banks don't dish out £40k unsecured loans - thats why people use PCP & HP. If you asked them nicely for a £40k loan just to use as a deposit you would get laughed out the place.

Of course. However, some stick their Calis on their mortgage. Madness IMHO. It‘s a discretionary, expensive, luxury purchase.

I suppose the question is - is the 4 Motion worth £6,786 more than a 150Psi base spec van.

Bear in mind that effectively £3,240 of that is the upgrade to the 204Psi engine.

However, you would likely wan to add £816 for the mechanical diff.

Depends how often you think it would likely get bogged down.

And whether the additional running costs are offset by the more powerful engine/2s quicker 0-60?

I suppose the question is - is the 4 Motion worth £6,786 more than a 150Psi base spec van.

Bear in mind that effectively £3,240 of that is the upgrade to the 204Psi engine.

However, you would likely wan to add £816 for the mechanical diff.

Depends how often you think it would likely get bogged down.

And whether the additional running costs are offset by the more powerful engine/2s quicker 0-60?
I’ve never understood the bias for either 4M or 204.
I’ve seen people driving to snowy northern Norway with 2WD, keeping pace with a 4WD. It’s all about the tyres. Been on plenty of muddy fields and still haven’t needed my mats, just let off the brake and leave the throttle til you’re rolling.
The 150 darts off the line, wheels spinning if you want. I’ve never wished I had more power.
I’d rather keep £6,786 for a fortnight in the Maldives, and the extra mpg.

I’ve seen people driving to snowy northern Norway with 2WD, keeping pace with a 4WD. It’s all about the tyres. Been on plenty of muddy fields and still haven’t needed my mats, just let off the brake and leave the throttle til you’re rolling.
The 150 darts off the line, wheels spinning if you want. I’ve never wished I had more power.
Absolutely agree. It's easy to be a kid in a sweet shop and want to tick every option.

I would imagine it's like most SUVs which barely ever travel off road, except the same grass car park all the 2WD are happily navigating. I had a Macan, because I was certain I needed a 4WD for snow when my daughter was born.

The irony being that my little Abarth 500 FWD was more surefooted in the snow as it had softer compound tyres. And who is taking a 65k SUV off-road anyway?

Thirstier and more to go wrong - bi-turbo engine and electronic 4WD. And I know from experience the electronics hate uneven tyre wear - it perceives the different rolling radius as one corner losing grip. Can make tyres an expensive hobby.

I doubt I would use a pristine £80k + California in situations I really needed 4WD anyway (no offence to those who do, I am just to precious).

I concluded that if I love using a camper that much, I will pick up a used 4motion that isn't pristine, fit some swampers and a lift kit and have at it for off road adventures.

Just my thoughts.

As a matter of interest can anyone recall the price prior to it being withdrawn last time?
£79,868 OTR in the 2023 brochure and £74,489 in the 2022 brochure - whilst any uplift is unwelcome it’s only 1.5% higher which is well below inflation.

Love this... my FOMO has evaporated :)

£79,868 OTR in the 2023 brochure and £74,489 in the 2022 brochure - whilst any uplift is unwelcome it’s only 1.5% higher which is well below inflation.
Either your maths, or my eyes are failing!

I hope my bank manager is paying my 1.5% interest on the same calculation.

£79,868 - £74,489 = £5379

£5379/£74,489 X 100 + 7.22% increase from 2022 prices

Absolutely agree. It's easy to be a kid in a sweet shop and want to tick every option.

I would imagine it's like most SUVs which barely ever travel off road, except the same grass car park all the 2WD are happily navigating. I had a Macan, because I was certain I needed a 4WD for snow when my daughter was born.

The irony being that my little Abarth 500 FWD was more surefooted in the snow as it had softer compound tyres. And who is taking a 65k SUV off-road anyway?

Thirstier and more to go wrong - bi-turbo engine and electronic 4WD. And I know from experience the electronics hate uneven tyre wear - it perceives the different rolling radius as one corner losing grip. Can make tyres an expensive hobby.

I doubt I would use a pristine £80k + California in situations I really needed 4WD anyway (no offence to those who do, I am just to precious).

I concluded that if I love using a camper that much, I will pick up a used 4motion that isn't pristine, fit some swampers and a lift kit and have at it for off road adventures.

Just my thoughts.
Sound logic - you may have helped resist the 4 motion temptation :)

Just my thoughts.
4Mo is useful for more than just getting you off a muddy field. Wheel spin with a 204 and FWD is something to consider and the Haldex system also has benefits for normal driving providing traction to corners as and when needed. Personally I wanted a 204 and the 4Mo is its ideal counterpoint drivetrain. The mpg difference is negligible as the 150 is going to work harder to move a fully loaded 3 ton lump with passengers.

Thats why you need the 4motion, darts off the line even quicker & without the wheelspin.
...that's if you need it to dart off the line of course. I had a T2 for years and one of the things that made it special (to me) was that you had to change down to 3rd on the motorway sometimes...not sure of the power as it was really old. Probably 30 to 40 hp maybe?

...that's if you need it to dart off the line of course. I had a T2 for years and one of the things that made it special (to me) was that you had to change down to 3rd on the motorway sometimes...not sure of the power as it was really old. Probably 30 to 40 hp maybe?
The different engines/drive trains suit different people i guess.

The different engines/drive trains suit different people i guess.
Coming from a Porsche 993 and an Audi S4 it's safe to say my driving style has changed immeasurably. I was in the USA when I placed my order sight unseen, but my dad kindly offered to test drive a 150 FWD. He was underwhelmed and this coming from an 82 year old who drives Hyundai's.
For me the 204 4Mo was the best fit, not because I use its full potential on every drive, but it's nice knowing it's there when needed for climbing hills, overtaking, negotiating switchbacks, coping with slick road surfaces or towing. But horses for courses but the options I chose suit me to a tee.

Coming from a Porsche 993 and an Audi S4 it's safe to say my driving style has changed immeasurably. I was in the USA when I placed my order sight unseen, but my dad kindly offered to test drive a 150 FWD. He was underwhelmed and this coming from an 82 year old who drives Hyundai's.
For me the 204 4Mo was the best fit, not because I use its full potential on every drive, but it's nice knowing it's there when needed for climbing hills, overtaking, negotiating switchbacks, coping with slick road surfaces or towing. But horses for courses but the options I chose suit me to a tee.
Looks like the 204 4 Mo is your ideal California.
I've had the odd fast car, but in reality i rarely drive fast, preferring to keep to smaller/scenic roads. I'm thinking the 4 wheel drive would be handy sometimes, and i imagine it does a better job of getting the power down than the 204 FWD (which i found spins the wheels too easily). Of course you can choose to drive powerful cars sedately, and the extra power can make for a more leisurely "character".
Does the 4 Mo sit higher than the FWD? And have you found it reliable? Some report that it is sensitive to tyre wear, have you had any issues?

Does the 4 Mo sit higher than the FWD? And have you found it reliable? Some report that it is sensitive to tyre wear, have you had any issues?
I only have 5K on mine so too early to say if there are any detrimental effects of the heavier drivetrain. The difference is about 80kgs off the top of my head.

Thats why you need the 4motion, darts off the line even quicker & without the wheelspin.
Add the CrossClimate2 tyres and the 150 grips way better off the line :)

Sound logic - you may have helped resist the 4 motion temptation :)
Resist it. I’ve had classic campers over the years, half the joy is the p
I still have my 996 Turbo and some hot hatches. I just accept it’s a big old heavy bus and I’m going no where in a hurry.

My view is the point of a campervan is to tootle I’m not too much of a hurry. But I’m an old fashioned person who used to have vintage VW campers, so likely nostalgia speaking.

I imagine it’s a different use case of a daily or frequent use van. For me it’s high days and holidays and I’m happy to go slow (ish).

I’m surprised, I found the T6 conversion I drive and the 150PS California we borrowed went well. Over hills, mountains etc.

No issues on boggy campsites during the Great British summer either. As someone said, just let it creep forward.

I really wanted the 4 Motion when I ordered my 2wd in September, it's now been built. So I've asked the dealer if they'll offer me a guaranteed value on the 2wd (subject to mileage, condition etc) to swap if I place another order now for a 4M. It'll be interesting to see if they come up with a proposal.....

I really wanted the 4 Motion when I ordered my 2wd in September, it's now been built. So I've asked the dealer if they'll offer me a guaranteed value on the 2wd (subject to mileage, condition etc) to swap if I place another order now for a 4M. It'll be interesting to see if they come up with a proposal.....
Both are great vans...