Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion not so good after all

A

Anonymous

Guest User
it just slid off !!!! Glad I did not waste my money

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8C526ANYT4[/youtube]

That looks bad is it really a 4 motion sliding off the road :?:

Bad driving, should have been able to avoid leaving the road at that slow speed. Almost looks like did it on purpose or was not concentrating !! I would not have been that close to the edge if it was that slippery.
Don't let that put you off 4 motion !

What people don't seem to understand about 4wd is that it does not help slow you down. A non 4 motion would have done the same, as would an F1 car or a Unimog. For slowing down its the tyres that are important coupled with the driving skills; that driver is quite clearly a goon and probably works undercover for Mercedes or someone else making non AWD vans.

4motion is actually very good indeed; I've driven countless kit off road from Hi Lux pick ups to Jimnys and modded Defenders. The T5 doesn't have the clearance or departure angles for serious off roading but for slippery conditions, it's superb if combined with a bit of driving nous.

And it adds another string to the Calis versatility bow. No way I would have gone as far off road in Scotland in a non 4motion Cali.

Waste of money? I'd say bargain. ;-)

That looks more like the driver ran out of talent to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:

Talent and road :D

I don't think any 4WD system would have prevented this.

Maybe it's about time someone organised a 4 Motion meet?????

James

Custard said:
Stu said:

Talent and road :D

I don't think any 4WD system would have prevented this.

Maybe it's about time someone organised a 4 Motion meet?????

James

Indeed it wouldn't unless equipped with aggressive mud tyres (which are brilliant). And if it was 2WD with the same tyres, it would have more chance than an AWD on Summer rubber.

I can suggest a relatives field we sometimes camp in down in Rock. Sloping grassy approach, very slippery in the wet. 4WD only, van has no problems getting back up the slope (approx 30%). Many cars have failed and had to be towed up by the relatives' tractor. :mrgreen:

A guy came to pick up the boat we store there with his tractor last month and warned me (in a nice way) not to follow. He was amazed when the van just breezed back up. He had no idea you could get 4WD VW vans. :lol:

Back