Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Strada bike rack?

The camera is in same position on the T6 as the T5 and gives exactly the same view as ArunAlec has described. The reversing camera is brilliant, bikes or not. Even though it is not perfect with the bike rack attached, I think that it is better to have it than not. Without it you will be reversing blind and you will need to judge the extra 75cm of the bike rack without any rear view.

The removable tow bar is all ready to go with a 13 pin socket. With it, the tail board of the DL3 is fully functional. It is very easy to connect the DL3 electrical plug to the Cali, only requiring a 90 degree turn of the plug into the 13 pin socket. Also, one advantage of the electrical connection is that the van alarm will sound if someone attempts to disconnected the plug when the van is locked (as I found out)!

The removable tow bar is also easy to fit and remove. It is rock solid when fitted. I will post some pictures of the tow bar removed and fitted asap.

Some photos of the removable towbar fitting, with the towbar off and on. (The first and second picture show the plastic protection cap on the right, which is removed before inserting the towbar)
IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4443.JPG IMG_4445.JPG

Fitted 4 full size mountain bikes to the Altera Strada DL for the first time today. Found it easier if I turned to handle bars by 90’

What locks / additional security are people using please?B7508C6A-FCA7-4176-8872-D8037848F793.jpeg14B95478-EC2D-44D4-B22C-4C94916EBBED.jpeg6FB056D3-B061-4177-B367-EC4D7A369C47.jpeg

I use a couple of d locks and pair up bikes, then I have a good quality motorcycle chain and padlock through all of them.
With the d locks are cables to go through the wheels and face the key hole inwards to the van. It's a faff but I want to keep my bikes so don't mind.

Fitted 4 full size mountain bikes to the Altera Strada DL for the first time today. Found it easier if I turned to handle bars by 90’

What locks / additional security are people using please?View attachment 63238View attachment 63239View attachment 63240
I’ve got to say I’m really pleased with this bike rack. We’re on day six of a France trip. The amount of times I’ve forgotten something out of the boot or rear cupboards but have just slid the rack down to open the rear door.

Visibility is good whilst driving and a few times we’ve needed to fit under 2m barriers to get parking which I couldn’t have done with a tail mounted rack.

Reversing camera gets obstructed though so I just send Mrs P to ‘tap the van’ if needed.

Using a variety of locks including an Abus Bordo folding lock and a 2.5m cable which is a good option for securing all four bikes together (with a few combination locks and a couple of retractable ‘cafe locks’ to attach to the quick release seats).