Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Had a lovely surf earlier (yes it was chilly!) at our local beach and had to drive through at least 1ft of loose sand - the Cali breezed it.Then had to turn around (the alternative was a loooong reverse) and only 4x4s could make it - again it did it no problem.

Definitely not at all essential but for us, it's brilliant! :mrgreen:

Snow forecast for tomorrow.

With 4Motion - BRING IT ON! :barmy :barmy

Lucky you :D

If you do go out in the snow please your experiences

4WD - 4PD (4 PAW DRIVE) work for Tess in snow!
6815711731_abd7c58e3d.jpg

Today is one of the few days of the year that i wish I had 4Motion.
Just been out on the Dad Taxi run to take my lad to his girlfriends. took 10 mins to get the cali off the drive then got stuck on a slight slope on the way back and had to reverse out of the road and find a different route home.
I really thought that the weight of these things that it would handle better in a bit of snow than it did. Thankfully we only get a few days like this ( Hopefully) each year so shouldn't be too much of a problem

I really thought that the weight of these things that it would handle better in a bit of snow than it did.

Tyres are low profile, if they were narrow then it would fair better in snow.
Snow tyres apparently make a big difference, but are a huge expense for very little use in UK.

Depends on view there. Snow (winter) tyres are designed to work at temperatures below 7 deg C which if you live north of Watford is a good chunk of Nov through to late March. They make a huge difference in stopping distance and general handling. Whilst the capital cost can be quite a bit - including a set of steels though can e-bay those and but outside of winter and the price of the tyres is significantly cheaper, if looked at overall, save my alloys from salt corrosion, get to rotate all the tyres regularly and hence prolong their life and if above all, much safer in low temperatures.

And yes, I do have them fitted on my Cali, the alloys happily hibernating in the cellar and will be put back on in the spring so am slightly biased.

Our 4Motion Cali & 4Motion LWB Combi performed very well on 2inches of snow up a 1/4 mile long 1 in 7 this morning - both shod with normal tyres on alloys. They also are very stable in rain & on wet/muddy fields.

They are both infinitely superior to our previous 2WD T5 conversion & Mercedes Vito van!

Paul has previously owned & off-roaded Land Rover Series & Defenders, Isuzu Troopers, Mitsubishi Shoguns, a Lada Niva & a Discovery 3. The 4Motion is a good an all wheel drive as there is. Matched to the Cali it is perfect.

I looked into getting a set of winter tyres on steel rims & was quoted £960 for them by local tyre company. I decided to see how I get on this winter & think about it for next winter.
17 inch steels seem to be very rare on ebay, plenty of 16 inch though.

I know, was tricky to find the 17". Lots of 'standard Transporter steel wheel' and when asked if was 17", just told standard wheels mate which was less than helpful. £960 seems a lot, paid nowhere near that for the tyres. Worst quote I had was for £1275 fitted. Prices did rise during the 8 weeks or so I was looking - my own fault to a degree for my indecision and trying to get a bargain.

Those are CRAZY prices for steels and tyres!! :eek:

I know. Come to europe and cheap as chips, winter tyres sold in garden centres and supermarkets. Still a novelty in UK and hence higher prices.

Last year I managed to ' win ' on eBay a set of four 17in standard wheels ( Thunder ? ) inc new Dunlop tyres for £600. The Cali owner had upgraded his wheels from new.

BerndRos said:
Last year I managed to ' win ' on eBay a set of four 17in standard wheels ( Thunder ? ) inc new Dunlop tyres for £600. The Cali owner had upgraded his wheels from new.

Bargain! They would probably not be miles of £2k bought from VW!

Having said they are rare on ebay I've just found two sets, one + £175 ! May have to buy them.
If I don't use them could always sell them & maybe make a fiver !

Best bit was I only had to drive 50 miles to collect them !

Back