Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5th gear strange noise

O

Ollie913

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi
Just got back from 1600 m trip through France . Van (180,000) ran without fault but one particular day I noticed a noise in 5th gear , what I can only describe as a train braking/squealing noise . Dropped into 4th no problem , back into 5th and it happened again . The day was boiling , lots of stopping starting in traffic and Heavy day of driving. Next day was fine and 2 days 750 mile trip back home was fine . Has anybody had this before ? Does the gearbox get really hot and do this kind of thing ? It’s a 2002 event with i engine . It’s going in next week anyway for cam belt etc

Richy

Hi
Just got back from 1600 m trip through France . Van (180,000) ran without fault but one particular day I noticed a noise in 5th gear , what I can only describe as a train braking/squealing noise . Dropped into 4th no problem , back into 5th and it happened again . The day was boiling , lots of stopping starting in traffic and Heavy day of driving. Next day was fine and 2 days 750 mile trip back home was fine . Has anybody had this before ? Does the gearbox get really hot and do this kind of thing ? It’s a 2002 event with i engine . It’s going in next week anyway for cam belt etc

Richy
Red i engine