Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5th seat issue?

R

Rkings01

Just bought a Cali with a 5th seat. To give the three people in the back a bit of legroom we've moved the bench back by above 8 inches. If you do that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to slot the bedframe and mattress in the rear. Do they just have to float free or am I missing something?

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Firstly, welcome on board.

Apologies just seen this and noticed no responses.

In answer to your question, there's no natural storage for the bed board and cushion, at least not on my '09 model.

I have at times either removed it, or stored it vertically behind the bench seat.

Reminds me of the P38 RangeRover which had a fantastic facility to store the parcel shelf behind the seat... special slots for it to hold it upright, but this was changed on the later models and the only thing to do was remove it.

Rgds
Mark

All of our California's are 5 seaters. When we move the bench back, we tuck the bed frame etc in an upright position behind the seat, and wedge it there with all the kit and bags that are taken in the camper.

HTH :thumb

I asked the question when I bought the Cali.

NOw our 3 are growing if we are not sleeping we store the bed in the garage when we are camping and need the rear frame we were advised you could strap it to the back of the rear banch seat.

Thanks all

On our first trip we did find that the mattress and frame do sort of wedge in behind the bench.

Cheers

Richard

I also have the same setup & observation. It seems very odd that VW don't have a stowage mechanism for it. I think VW assumes if you're in 5-seat configuration that you're not going camping.

Though it appears to fit nicely just flipped up, be careful that the little catches on the metal bed extn don't lose their rubber caps & rub the sides. I found that it is best to rotate the rear metal support by 90 degrees, slot one of the catches into one of the seat runners and then use the table support strap to tether the top to one of the headrests. Stops it clunking around :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The bed frame is a heavy piece of kit not to be very well strapped down. If its end on then it very likely to come into the passenger compartment in a front end accident with pretty nasty consequences. With it in position it is a very good way to secure heavier kit underneath it.

Surely by that reckoning you cannot carry anything of any weight in the rear (e.g. A suitcase or stroller higher than the seat base?) I'd like to think the VW rear bench is stronger than that.

It's strapped flush to the back of the rear seat. It's heavy(ish), but as the surface area on impact is now much greater in the vertical position than in the horizontal, I doubt its going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD