Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making more space with 5th seat

danvan

danvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
Anyone got any ideas on how I can squeeze a bit more leg room out of the van? We use the 5th seat (we have three kids), but the leg room behind that seat is quite tight (see photo).74E50F55-0B6F-4129-AE12-816F44CC0813.jpeg

The obvious solution is to push the bench back further (the 5th seat is as far forward as it will go), but unless you take out the parcel shelf/bed extension thing, the bench won’t go back any further. I have totally removed the parcel shelf/extension for non-camping holidays and had the bench right back (after removing the stopper) but that doesn’t work when you’re set up for camping. One option would be to strap the bed extension to the back of the seat maybe.

Anyway, any thoughts would be welcome.

This isn’t a direct answer to your question, but we’ve just order a Multimac Superclub Jr to avoid faffing around with a fifth seat. The Multimac will be stored on the bike rack overnight (Under a waterproof) cover when camping.

As for making the fifth seat work, removing the parcel shelf and storing vertically behind the bench has been recommended. Alternatively if your kids are small, let them use the downstairs bed without the parcel shelf (I.e. use the bench only) and adults sleep upstairs.

This isn’t a direct answer to your question, but we’ve just order a Multimac Superclub Jr to avoid faffing around with a fifth seat. The Multimac will be stored on the bike rack overnight (Under a waterproof) cover when camping.

As for making the fifth seat work, removing the parcel shelf and storing vertically behind the bench has been recommended. Alternatively if your kids are small, let them use the downstairs bed without the parcel shelf (I.e. use the bench only) and adults sleep upstairs.
We did consider the multimac. I was wondering if it would be less of a faff to remove than the 5th seat, but I was worried it might be harder work. Let me know though, because that’s still an option.

My eldest daughter is just over 5ft, so we need the bed extension. It’s a shame nobody makes an after market flip up version.

We did consider the multimac. I was wondering if it would be less of a faff to remove than the 5th seat, but I was worried it might be harder work. Let me know though, because that’s still an option.

My eldest daughter is just over 5ft, so we need the bed extension. It’s a shame nobody makes an after market flip up version.
Is yours a T5.1? when we had one, we just used to take the bed grille bit out & stand it vertically behind the seat. At one time I had a second grille that I was going to shorten but never got round to doing it.

For the T6.1 According to the manual, there is a VW version with a flip up section. No one has ever seen it & my dealer hasn't managed to find any more info, it was mentioned in one of the other threads. tempImagezmFJSf.png

Happy to report back on the Multimac, which we’re due to receive mid May.

It’s about 30kg versus the 40kg fifth seat but importantly for us it’s one piece and only occupies the rear bench, as opposed to a fifth seat plus 3 child seats, and much more straightforward to remove and replace than the fifth seat plus child seats. I find that the fifth seat gets in the way of the kitchen which frustrates me in day trip mode.

It will depend on what ages your kids are as the Multimac is only really recommended up to age 12, albeit they advise a “small adult” can also fit in one of the outer seats.

@andyinluton I’ve looked at that picture a few times and cant really understand how it’s intended to work, but it seems to have been designed with a clear purpose. I’m also interested to see one in practice. Have you tried searching parts diagrams if they’ve been released? @WelshGas is usually a maestro with parts diagrams

When only using the van for transport to Spain with an overnight stopover, rather than going camping, we have made up a downstairs bed with no extension in, headrests up & 5th seat rotated & moved right up to the Bench to make a bed thats short on one side & long on the other. Have previously left 3 kids to fight it out downstairs in that mode, whilst wife & I retire upstairs for a good nights sleep.

@andyinluton I’ve looked at that picture a few times and cant really understand how it’s intended to work, but it seems to have been designed with a clear purpose. I’m also interested to see one in practice. Have you tried searching parts diagrams if they’ve been released? @WelshGas is usually a maestro with parts diagrams

It looks like a 6inch piece that flips up nearest the bench & then bench slides back by that amount.
To be honest I'm not that bothered, I can't think of any occasion where we will need the 5th seat and go camping, its one or the other for us.
I can see that it would be nice at times to have that extra bit of space downstairs even with only 4 onboard, especially if you could make up a slightly shorter bed.

I do think VW have missed a trick with the redesigned bed base, it should have been hinged on the back of the seat so it could be flipped up vertically & then the bench moved back. Ideally with a further hinge in the middle so it didn't block the rear view .

The sites I use only go upto MY2020. Sorry.

It looks like a 6inch piece that flips up nearest the bench & then bench slides back by that amount.
To be honest I'm not that bothered, I can't think of any occasion where we will need the 5th seat and go camping, its one or the other for us.
I can see that it would be nice at times to have that extra bit of space downstairs even with only 4 onboard, especially if you could make up a slightly shorter bed.

I do think VW have missed a trick with the redesigned bed base, it should have been hinged on the back of the seat so it could be flipped up vertically & then the bench moved back. Ideally with a further hinge in the middle so it didn't block the rear view .
I have been looking for the same sort of thing. I have just found this:
but the wrong bit flips up so the bench doesn't slide back further. Has anyone found a foldable bed extension?

I have been looking for the same sort of thing. I have just found this:
but the wrong bit flips up so the bench doesn't slide back further. Has anyone found a foldable bed extension?

Get onto your dealer & ask about the one shown in the manual?
If you search For Cali Chris's video on the beach it shows the folding bed extension for the 2 seat bench in a beach. Looks remarkably similar to what's shown in the Ocean Manual.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can squeeze a bit more leg room out of the van? We use the 5th seat (we have three kids), but the leg room behind that seat is quite tight (see photo).View attachment 76587

The obvious solution is to push the bench back further (the 5th seat is as far forward as it will go), but unless you take out the parcel shelf/bed extension thing, the bench won’t go back any further. I have totally removed the parcel shelf/extension for non-camping holidays and had the bench right back (after removing the stopper) but that doesn’t work when you’re set up for camping. One option would be to strap the bed extension to the back of the seat maybe.

Anyway, any thoughts would be welcome.
Have you tried turning the fifth seat round to face rearwards? It may create more leg room if this seat is in it's forward most position.

Have you tried turning the fifth seat round to face rearwards? It may create more leg room if this seat is in it's forward most position.
Turning the 5th seat takes up more room, the back of the backrest on both the 5th seat & the drivers seat slope out & touch each other at headrest level leaving fair bit of unused space down at floor level. Taking the head restraint off the 5th seat if not needed helps a little bit.

Back