Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Beach Advice

"written off at the dealership"! What written off, as in totalled? How on earth did they manage that?

You've raised an interesting point. I think the problem some people have but don't initially recognise, is highlighted in the clip youv'e attached. They find themselves in the fortunate position of being able to buy their life long dream, a new campervan and decide that only a "proper California" will fit the bill. Indeed the showroom allure of the Ocean or Coast can be difficult to resist, so difficult, that it's all too easy to ignore other possibilities. It therefore stands to reason that only later do some of these buyers discover that there's a more practical solution to meet their personal circumstances, possibly in the form of the Beach. The Ocean and Coast are proper campervans but having all the kit including a kitchen sink also means they are compromised.

I speak from a position of experience. Having previously owned a 180dsg T5 SE 4Motion I have since gone on to own two Beaches.

The two main California variants are different vehicles which suit different personal circumstances. The trouble is there's often a mismatch between owners needs and the model they've chosen. See the "Calis for sale section". Neither version is better just suited to different personal needs.

Having said that, I much prefer my improper Beach for it's versatility and adaptability.
It arrived at the dealership at the beginning of May but they didn't contact me. I know it was there because of VW chat. Finally they admitted it was there after 9 days and said it was having it's PDI the following day. It failed the PDI as the tailgate was "malformed' and wasn't closing?!!? 4 weeks later = replaced, delivery date set but then rear view camera lens broken, new camera lens required...delivery aborted at short notice. 1 week later.. rear view camera itself not working....another week, then day before re-scheduled delivery, trailer driver ran the van roof into a bridge!!?!?! Pictures of damage duly provided. Initial estimates for parts alone was £25,000 and heading north. (new pop-roof, new awning, body work warped/bent) and only admitted it was to be written off because I contacted them, 3 weeks later. Can't make this stuff up!! Said I could accept the written off vehicle when it was finally 'restored' around October....I said no thank you. The whole thing was a disaster from the damage to the van, lack of transparency, customer service, unanswered emails, attitude, everything. My worse retail experience by a country mile... I even had to chase them for the refund of the deposit!!!

I wish I could speak from your position of experience because I most certainly didn't have any when I placed the original Ocean 4Motion order. I equated the best option for me, with the most expensive version I could buy. I didn't consider the rather 'snug' 114cm downstairs bed or the 3 glass kitchen covers that my little accident prone boys might scratch/break and stress me out. Didn't know about all the issues with the electric roof and electric door etc. Knew full well I was never going to cook in the van....or do a family wash-up once I'd seen the size of the sink in the flesh. Tried to focus on the convenience of the in house fridge, even though I owned a great Dometic fridge already. This forum has been quite an eye opener and I've said before, I should have sat on the forum for an extended period and listened to a few seasoned van users before making a decision. I just ordered the most expensive one and never actually considered how our family would use it!

I think the episode which made me question my trim choice in earnest was whilst on a camping trip in Wales earlier this year. A van owner on the pitch next to us mentioned she was thinking of getting an awning because there was an issue with room for the 4 of them. She mentioned the problem was, with the kitchen and cupboards, there's no room to put an inflatable awning in the back with all their other 'essentials' and thus, she was asking about our Thule back box and Towbar. (I'd just bought a Vango air awning for our impending Ocean) She asked what I had ordered but without letting me answer she said she wishes she hadn't bothered with the kitchen (as they never cook in it as it would smell) and wishes she had a full size bed downstairs like her friend's van..... Oh.

You can't compare a leaky Ferrari to a Porsche! :)

"oh it's not hand made like the 993" "oh its not a pure real wheel drive" "oh its headlights are funny looking" "oh they share parts with the Boxster"...

that car (the 996, including this one in the photo the wide bodied all-wheel drive 4S) was the cause of a lot of heated discussions for 20 years in the Porsche community, and guess what, it's awesome and now a lot of people are loving it because now the new ones are "not real Porsches, they have turbos, the old 996 was naturally aspirated!"

It was also unfairly plagued with a bad reputation for an unreliable bearing, which took over forums all of the world, even though the vast majority were fine (if regularly used and serviced).

It arrived at the dealership at the beginning of May but they didn't contact me. I know it was there because of VW chat. Finally they admitted it was there after 9 days and said it was having it's PDI the following day. It failed the PDI as the tailgate was "malformed' and wasn't closing?!!? 4 weeks later = replaced, delivery date set but then rear view camera lens broken, new camera lens required...delivery aborted at short notice. 1 week later.. rear view camera itself not working....another week, then day before re-scheduled delivery, trailer driver ran the van roof into a bridge!!?!?! Pictures of damage duly provided. Initial estimates for parts alone was £25,000 and heading north. (new pop-roof, new awning, body work warped/bent) and only admitted it was to be written off because I contacted them, 3 weeks later. Can't make this stuff up!! Said I could accept the written off vehicle when it was finally 'restored' around October....I said no thank you. The whole thing was a disaster from the damage to the van, lack of transparency, customer service, unanswered emails, attitude, everything. My worse retail experience by a country mile... I even had to chase them for the refund of the deposit!!!

I wish I could speak from your position of experience because I most certainly didn't have any when I placed the original Ocean 4Motion order. I equated the best option for me, with the most expensive version I could buy. I didn't consider the rather 'snug' 114cm downstairs bed or the 3 glass kitchen covers that my little accident prone boys might scratch/break and stress me out. Didn't know about all the issues with the electric roof and electric door etc. Knew full well I was never going to cook in the van....or do a family wash-up once I'd seen the size of the sink in the flesh. Tried to focus on the convenience of the in house fridge, even though I owned a great Dometic fridge already. This forum has been quite an eye opener and I've said before, I should have sat on the forum for an extended period and listened to a few seasoned van users before making a decision. I just ordered the most expensive one and never actually considered how our family would use it!

I think the episode which made me question my trim choice in earnest was whilst on a camping trip in Wales earlier this year. A van owner on the pitch next to us mentioned she was thinking of getting an awning because there was an issue with room for the 4 of them. She mentioned the problem was, with the kitchen and cupboards, there's no room to put an inflatable awning in the back with all their other 'essentials' and thus, she was asking about our Thule back box and Towbar. (I'd just bought a Vango air awning for our impending Ocean) She asked what I had ordered but without letting me answer she said she wishes she hadn't bothered with the kitchen (as they never cook in it as it would smell) and wishes she had a full size bed downstairs like her friend's van..... Oh.
Hello jMacdent,
My sincere commiserations. What an absolutely dreadful story.

If I've got this right, you say that after weeks of delays and trying to cover up repairs following what was likely a previous accident, the delivery driver then did a proper job on it. They then only admitted it was to be written off because you contacted them, 3 weeks later. They then told you that you could accept the written off vehicle when it was finally 'restored' around October"? ........o_O

I think you have just described a dealership all time low.

Considering their attempts to keep you in the dark whilst the initial work was being carried out along with the fact that they are clearly considering repairing it, naming the dealership might be a useful public spirited move. Some potential owner may end up being shown round this vehicle in a few months time. The question is will they bother to mention it's history?

However, considering your reservations about that particular vehicle having been right for you and your family, it seems that "every cloud does have a silver lining".

Good luck.

The Ocean, Beach & Coast debate will rumble on as long as there is choice. In the main those with one model will tell you that they have the best of the available models / specification / drive train etc etc.

for them it probably is (For them). A scan of the forum will show you a cross section of user with varying views ranging from LED headlights (Brilliant) to Electro hydraulic roofs to Electric slider etc. What one person thinks is the Dogs B’s another thinks it’s naff or not essential.

identifying how you will use the van for the majority of the time is the most important part of the process and a valuable lesson in making the right model choice for you, particularly as it can save an expensive mistake and prevent you from regretting your choices before you were really honest with yourself.

The inference by some is that a Camper is only a “proper“ camper if it has a full kitchen, Is simply a misnomer. Each model has its differences some good some bad.

Remember Everything “Camping” is a compromise with a Van based on a builders van regardless, just look at the after market gadgets and solutions available to try and deal with some of those very real issues and the compromises.

I have a Beach, three seater, there are four of us who regularly go camping, some times Six people, (as @Borris has intimated, there is nothing that I cannot do in my Beach that can be done in other models, but there are things that you can do with a Beach that you can’t do with an Ocean, I make this comment not to encourage the long running and in the most part good humoured banter, I make this comment only because it’s true.

I have a van that suits the way I use it, having had VW vans previously and knowing how we would use the van from day to day as well as camping has meant that I chose the Model that best suited my circumstances, consequently this means I use the van for what I bought it for not to sit on my Driveway regretting I bought another model I.e I bought it for Camping, leisure vehicle, MPV & all year round use.

I did not want to have a permanently fixed kitchen, storage units, on board toilet, TV etc etc or I may have considered a Caravan or ”Proper Big white motor Home” !

A California (any model) is a compromise as a “camper”, the compromise of space over functionality.
all models have their own merits, remembering that and identifying how you will use it and what compromise you can live with is the key identifying which Model is best for you.

I wish you well in your quest and reading many of the intelligent discussions on this forum (some not so intelligent, but none the less still relevant)

Last edited:
Hello jMacdent,
My sincere commiserations. What an absolutely dreadful story.

If I've got this right, you say that after weeks of delays and trying to cover up repairs following what was likely a previous accident, the delivery driver then did a proper job on it. They then only admitted it was to be written off because you contacted them, 3 weeks later. They then told you that you could accept the written off vehicle when it was finally 'restored' around October"? ........o_O

I think you have just described a dealership all time low.

Considering their attempts to keep you in the dark whilst the initial work was being carried out along with the fact that they are clearly considering repairing it, naming the dealership might be a useful public spirited move. Some potential owner may end up being shown round this vehicle in a few months time. The question is will they bother to mention it's history?

However, considering your reservations about that particular vehicle having been right for you and your family, it seems that "every cloud does have a silver lining".

Good luck.
Thanks Borris,
Yes....it seemed that vehicle was never going to happen for me and I have to hope all things work for the greater good.
The dealer actually mentioned that if they sell the vehicle in the future it has to be disclosed that the vehicle had been written off for insurance purposes as a matter of protocol. I'd rather not mention the dealership by name as there are probably loads of forum members currently waiting for vans through them and it would be unfair.

The Ocean, Beach & Coast debate will rumble on as long as there is choice. In the main those with one model will tell you that they have the best of the available models / specification / drive train etc etc.

for them it probably is (For them). A scan of the forum will show you a crisis section of user with varying views ranging from LED headlights (Brilliant) to Electro hydraulic roofs to Electric slider etc. What one person thinks is the Dogs B’s another thinks it’s naff or not essential.

identifying how you will use the van for the majority of the time is the most important part of the process and a valuable lesson in making the right model choice for you, particularly as it can save an expensive mistake and prevent you from regretting your choices before you were really honest with yoursel.

The inference by some is that a Camper is only a “proper“ camper if it has a full kitchen, Is simply a misnomer. Each model has its differences some good some bad.

Remember Everything “Camping” is a compromise with a Van based on a builders van regardless, just look at the after market gadgets and solutions available to try and deal with some of those very real issues and the compromises.

I have a Beach, three seater, there are four of us who regularly go camping, some times Six people, (as @Borris has intimated, there is nothing that I cannot do in my Beach that can be done in other models, but there are things that you can do with a Beach that you can’t do with an Ocean, I make this comment not to encourage the long running and in the most part good humoured banter, I make this comment only because it’s true.

I have a van that suits the way I use it, having had VW vans previously and knowing how we would use the van from day to day as well as camping has meant that I chose the Model that best suited my circumstances, consequently this means I use the van for what I bought it for not to sit on my Driveway regretting I bought another model I.e I bought it for Camping, leisure vehicle, MPV & all year round use.

I did not want to have a permanently fixed kitchen, storage units, on board toilet, TV etc etc or I may have considered a Caravan or ”Proper Big white motor Home” !

A California (any model) is a compromise as a “camper”, the compromise of space over functionality.
all models have their own merits, remembering that and identifying how you will use it and what compromise you can live with is the key identifying which Model is best for you.

I wish you well in your quest and reading many of the intelligent discussions on this forum (some not so intelligent, but none the less still relevant)
This is absolutely spot on and perfectly summarised - think of how YOU will use it, and what you actually want, need and can afford.

Heck, I've just ordered a California after test driving Porsche 911s and realising that actually I want to spend time with my wife having adventures, not zooming around the streets on my own

Great they’ve reintroduced the Beach just in time for you. It sounds like the perfect choice for your needs, mainly because you need 5 seats which is a squeeze and faff in an Ocean.
I agree with all your thinking except the cupboards in an Ocean are actually Tardises that swallow more than their capacity. I don’t know how VW made the physics work. I expect the box on the Beach will use the same technology!

Couple of thoughts on your list:
3. You can wirelessly connect, but the bigger screen was worth the upgrade for me.
4. Rear view camera is worth £300 in addition to sensors.
5. Driver assistance also seems to include automatic cruise control (standard on Ocean), Lane assist, traffic sign recognition. Non of this is retrofittable. If you can afford it, you will be glad of at least th ACC which takes the sting out of long journeys.
7. Both essential in my view, but the aux heater number one. It runs off diesel in the tank to tick away all night (or just when you get in after a cold wet walk) to keep the van warm. In the U.K. I think you’d regret not ticking that box. The 3 zone climatronic is fantastic if you’ve got people in the back on hot days. The front a/c isn’t designed to keep the rear cool - works ok in the U.K. but not in the south of France.
8. Park Assist comes with the parking sensors, and even with the camera is a handy gadget for automatic steering into tight parking spaces (you work the pedals).

The other options I would consider are:
-the bigger fuel tank for £80ish (might save the day if you’re racing for a ferry or low on fuel when you need the aux heater?)
-Dynamic Chassis Control. Many on here find the ride wallowy. You can upgrade the suspension/ARBs aftermarket of course but the DCC button on the dash allows you to firm up for the twisty stuff, or soften down for the motorway/crashing round town potholes.

In all, it was a bitter pill for us to find that so many options needed ticking ... but we plan on keeping the van for decades so FOMO made us finance more than I’d hoped...
Good advice, in particular the 3 zone climate control and the auxiliary heater - I've checked with the dealer and both need to be ordered and I agree that with our weather it's essential. The larger fuel tank needs to be considered.

I agree - it's a bitter pill to swallow ticking all the boxes.

Morning Aleks

I see you're getting some specific answers to your questions, so my points are a bit more general but might help too.

I just ordered a Beach and ended up adding more options than planned, but each and every one was thought through, based on a value-to-us basis. Especially for things which make daily driving useful (e.g. parking), long drives (like the upgraded cruise control), and then day trips / weekends away (like electric hook-up, standing heater).

For the manual vs electric roof, have you tried the manual? For us we went with electric, as we tried to close it in the dealership and was just not possible for my wife, which meant she wouldn't be able to have day trips on her own with the roof popped up (think having a meal by a lake), so we went with electric. You'll find many strong opinions on this forum for the manual vs electric roof.

In the end its what you feel is the right price with the options. The first car we ordered new we ticked every box, then for a couple of years I just felt we went over the top. But its very personal! So you have to ask what YOU are good with, what's necessary, what you can live without.

I'd go with some advice posted above about the cost of adding in the future. So towbar and electric hook-up, reverse camera, that kind of thing. Less than 1% of the vehicle's value now vs 5% cost if you decide to add after. But again, if you've already hit your budget, then go with what you need now, want now and probably need in the future.

The "add it for the next buyer" is really a tricky one, I do understand it, but it can easily add 5 or 10% more to your price, so that in some years you have more chance to sell. Its annoying! But you do need to at least consider and choose not to now, rather than hear about it after.

I'm actually trading my over-the-top car in for the California, as the trade price they give was fair, but I did wonder if some of the "add for the next guy" options could have been saved.

Keeping it simple vs things that might break in the future. Again very personal. I'm not letting this decide what I have or not. Again I do see the logic, something to consider, but I wouldn't let it hugely determine what you have or don't have now.

The "Parking Assistance" helps you find a parking spot where you will fit, and does the steering for getting in. In my last car we added it (the dealer said I would never use it), and he was right! Fancy, but too slow, and you get used to the size of car pretty quick. Saying that, we had a 360 camera which made it all much easier. Still, for the California, because other options are added, it was cheap to add (about 200 pounds) so we went for it. This is because we won't have the 360 camera, and because I saw a video on youtube which showed it also helps you go in to awkward spots front-on. Especially for 0.1% of the overall price (yes I'm a bit numbers person).

Bit long post sorry! Will stop now, but ping me any specific questions as my head is still full of the reasoning behind our choices and I tend to do a lot of analysis when making any purchase (but still sometimes get it wrong :) )
Thank you for a really interesting post and interesting take on looking at options. I don't think that the parking assist will be required because as you say you will get used to the vehicle.

I find your take on looking at the options intriguing - I do see your point that when you're buying second hand often the options have been "for the next guy/gal" but you're the one taking the hit! This could be traded off by the immense resale and retention of value the California's seem to have. Looking at it as a total cost per vehicle percentage rather than individually as well as factory vs post factory costs is also a useful exercise I hadn't thought of.

Be aware, the Beach doesn't come with the option of the Hydraulic Roof in the UK, unless it has changed very recently. Also I doubt if you will get many Beach owners admitting they wish it had been an option which they would have chosen. ;)
I've had a look at the configurator again this morning - the Beach Tourer/Campers seem to be hydraulic only with no option for me to choose an electric roof - if that's the case the decision has been made for me.

for them it probably is (For them). A scan of the forum will show you a cross section of user with varying views ranging from LED headlights (Brilliant) to Electro hydraulic roofs to Electric slider etc. What one person thinks is the Dogs B’s another thinks it’s naff or not essential.

identifying how you will use the van for the majority of the time is the most important part of the process and a valuable lesson in making the right model choice for you, particularly as it can save an expensive mistake and prevent you from regretting your choices before you were really honest with yourself.

Thank you for an interesting response - I agree, everyone has their own use need - mine seems to align with yours - we could buy a Caravelle for the school run and as a general day to day vehicle however a California Beach allows it to become a camper or day van so we wish. Everyone will have their own priorities for what the vehicle will do for them.

"there is nothing that I cannot do in my Beach that can be done in other models, but there are things that you can do with a Beach that you can’t do with an Ocean" - I resonate with your comment which is how on looking at both my wife and I are veering towards a Beach.

I've had a look at the configurator again this morning - the Beach Tourer/Campers seem to be hydraulic only with no option for me to choose an electric roof - if that's the case the decision has been made for me.
Sometimes it's better not to have the choice :) and you (UK buyers) get ACC as standard too!

I agree. Choice is bad! ACC as standard is great however too many options aren't which is frustrating financially.

Hydraulic powered by an electric pump.:thumb

I have a T6.1 Camper with 3 Zone climate and remote parking heater. If you want any specific pictures, let me know.

My 3rd Beach, I’d definitely also recommend Art Velours and the LED headlights.

I have a T6.1 Camper with 3 Zone climate and remote parking heater. If you want any specific pictures, let me know.

My 3rd Beach, I’d definitely also recommend Art Velours and the LED headlights.

Hi - I’m thinking of going with both these options - can you provide me with more information/photos and your opinions? Others here have provided very useful information and that this is a must have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using the UK site? I just checked (via mobile) and don't see any roof options

From the UK site it appears that there is no option when I start to configure the van.

From the UK site it appears that there is no option when I start to configure the van.
Right right, so then it's manual for the Beach in the UK, no choice (not the same for every country)... This is good for you!

You don't have to spend hours and hours wondering which is best, you save some money, it's probably fine for your needs, and if it breaks outside of warranty then you'll probably have a simpler and cheaper fix

This is Art Velours.

Far more fitting of a 60k van. Sure you could spend the 1.2k towards aftermarket leather but personally it has to be factory fitted to me.

5A5D40C8-9D6A-43ED-8E8C-F2D374156EE6.jpeg

This is Art Velours.

Far more fitting of a 60k van. Sure you could spend the 1.2k towards aftermarket leather but personally it has to be factory fitted to me.

View attachment 82091
I second this, we went back and added it to the order after comparing side by side, clearly you can live without it if you've hit your budget already

Some really great points made on this subject.

We have a 2019 Beach which was purchased with 1800 miles on the clock. It was a pretty basic beast no cruise, rear camera or parking sensors and the basic Climatic setup. We have since added cruise, camera and parking sensors which we felt were of benefit to us.

We avoided the temptation to add LED Headlights primarily down to cost but also because we dont drive a great deal in the dark! The standard H4 van headlamps are apalling H7’s should at least be standard, we added H4 Philips Racing vision bulbs and that had made driving at night manageable.

in my experience the standard aircon has been fine for all of our trips even in the recent scorching weather, the manual roof does its job fine and our three seater bench is perfect with the comfort mattress.

We bought a portable heater to use on Electric Hook Up as the van has has no parking heater installed. To date we have never used it and we have camped in some pretty cold conditions.

At the end of the day how you intend to use the van will determine what you fit from the list of expensive options constrained by budget of course. We sre spoiled these days and I have owned cars where the most expensive options on the list were rubber mats and a clock! The car still ran and got you from a to b so I guess my expectations are set lower than most! How much you spend on an option needs to be considered against the real value you will get from it. I have had automated parking as standard on several vehicles but have never used it, if it wax an option I wouldn’t therefore tick that box.

Some really great points made on this subject.

We have a 2019 Beach which was purchased with 1800 miles on the clock. It was a pretty basic beast no cruise, rear camera or parking sensors and the basic Climatic setup. We have since added cruise, camera and parking sensors which we felt were of benefit to us.

We avoided the temptation to add LED Headlights primarily down to cost but also because we dont drive a great deal in the dark! The standard H4 van headlamps are apalling H7’s should at least be standard, we added H4 Philips Racing vision bulbs and that had made driving at night manageable.

in my experience the standard aircon has been fine for all of our trips even in the recent scorching weather, the manual roof does its job fine and our three seater bench is perfect with the comfort mattress.

We bought a portable heater to use on Electric Hook Up as the van has has no parking heater installed. To date we have never used it and we have camped in some pretty cold conditions.

At the end of the day how you intend to use the van will determine what you fit from the list of expensive options constrained by budget of course. We sre spoiled these days and I have owned cars where the most expensive options on the list were rubber mats and a clock! The car still ran and got you from a to b so I guess my expectations are set lower than most! How much you spend on an option needs to be considered against the real value you will get from it. I have had automated parking as standard on several vehicles but have never used it, if it wax an option I wouldn’t therefore tick that box.
Fascinated to see whether I use the Cali's automated parking function (Park Assist) when it is delivered. I've never driven a vehicle, but it's a big vehicle, and it looks like a simple gadget - just press a button and it tells you whether the space is big enough, and takes over the steering in. I wonder why I wouldn't use it?

Fascinated to see whether I use the Cali's automated parking function (Park Assist) when it is delivered. I've never driven a vehicle, but it's a big vehicle, and it looks like a simple gadget - just press a button and it tells you whether the space is big enough, and takes over the steering in. I wonder why I wouldn't use it?
I have this in my current car (Volvo), the dealer said we'd never use it and he was right! It's fancy, but too slow, takes about 5 attempts to park just perfect where 2 goes manually would have been fine. Plus the 360 degree camera is so good you don't need anything else.

Saying that I've still added it to the new Beach order as it was pretty cheap (180 pounds ish), figuring it's a bigger vehicle, and no 360 camera, but mainly because some of the videos out there shows it can help also with driving head on in to spaces, and I can see that being really useful at times.

Still if it was 500, I don't think I would have gone for it.

Can tell you in a year if we actually use it!

Back