Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Fridge worktop replacement

nickb77

nickb77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just noticed what looks like a stress crack in the glass worktop on my 6.1 fridge. We've been ultra careful with the glass having seen reports of the glass scratching or even shattering. I'm guessing it's now a case of 'when' it shatters rather than 'if'.

Anyone know current costs of getting the fridge top replaced by VW? If I replaced it myself does the top come as a complete part with edges, hinge and insulation or are these separate?

price is plus vat you dont get the hinge screws or adhesive strip

Surely if you're careful with it, it hasn't been damaged through abuse/impact and it's within warranty, it should be claimable? It should be fit for purpose and if it's failed after a short time of normal use, I would argue it simply isn't. Can't say it'll necessarily be an easy journey of course, but dig in your heels hard enough and threaten consumer rights etc.. and you might get somewhere?

Just noticed what looks like a stress crack in the glass worktop on my 6.1 fridge. We've been ultra careful with the glass having seen reports of the glass scratching or even shattering. I'm guessing it's now a case of 'when' it shatters rather than 'if'.

Anyone know current costs of getting the fridge top replaced by VW? If I replaced it myself does the top come as a complete part with edges, hinge and insulation or are these separate?
Our cooker top exploded unexpectedly and was replaced under warranty. I think you have a very strong argument for a warranty claim before it goes pop.

Can't remember the exact wording, but essentially products should be fit for their intended purpose and commensurate with their cost. For example, a 99p torch might only be reasonably expected to be reliable for a month, but an £80 torch would be reasonably expected to be reliable for years. The same goes with anything purchased in the UK, although I've never applied it in the context of a specific part of a vehicle, I don't see why it wouldn't still stand. It's actually got nothing to do with warranties, they're in addition to your "statutory rights". A vehicle as expensive as a California I would expect to be reliable for it's intended use for a good many years, especially the camping fixtures and fittings which are not really "service items" like suspension issues could be categorised as.

Our cooker top exploded unexpectedly and was replaced under warranty. I think you have a very strong argument for a warranty claim before it goes pop.

Definitely worth trying although I’ve seen other posts on shattered worktops where VW have refused to cough up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk