Any one had this break

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just noticed the hinge at the fridge end of the cooker glass top has broken ( the actual hinge has snapped at the joint) dosn't cause a issue but will need sorting next time I go down to SMG. Has anyone else had a hinge snap. :sad

I've become unhinged once or twice ... :crazy

Not as bad as that as its only 1/2 unhinged :hello

Had a loose screw a couple of times :doh

No broken hinges though.

Hi,

I had this problem, and made a temporary repair by moving the central hinge to replace the rear one, it is an easy enough job, if you have the tools. My Cali is a 2007 model, so the current one might differ.

You need a 2.5 mm and a 3mm Allen key, with a longish reach.

Remove all lower screws with the 3mm key.

secure the lid against slamming with duct tape or a cushion, etc.

Remove the lower gas strut mount using the 2.5 mm key.

With the lid now loose, turn it over and remove the broken hinge, remove the central hinge and place it where the broken one was.

Ideally, buy a new hinge ASAP, they cost about £20-55, and the part number is 7H7068727.

It might be worth buying an extra one as a spare, as a broken fridge hinge would be more serious, putting pressure on the only remaining hinge.

The same hinge is used for the rear shelves door/gas locker.

Thanks I am hoping VW will pay for fix as under 3 years old however will do myself if they will not, was intrested to see if anyonelse had one break as not seen it mentioned before

We've had this issue on one of our Cali's. All sorted very easily and under warranty by Alex at SMG :thumb

Thanks Alex aiming to pop down to SMG when I get a few spare hours :thumb :thumb

Last edited:
I also have just found that one of the hinges on the cooker/sink unit has broken. Had a check to see how much they cost ,Not bad only £58.00 each!!! and thats through the California Club. So decided to take in and get it done under warranty as the van is only 15 months old. I also found after examining the lid carefully that one of the dome bumper rubbers is missing and to tell the truth after examining the indentation with a Jewelers eyeglass it dosent seem there was ever one on it. What I cant understand is WHY £58 for a hinge the size of your little finger. There are actually 7 of these on a California so if they all had to be replaced at some time (Though Unlikely) thats £406. Nice for VW but not so nice for VW customer out of warranty.

decided to take in and get it done under warranty as the van is only 15 months old

I would that is what the warranty is for our's was done at Breeze Southampton under warranty

I assume its something to look out for. As I don't use the cooker or sink it may last a few years.

Off to Breeze next Wednesday for a broken Flexi light. Apparently takes around 2hrs to change??????

I found what looks like a hinge part in the bottom of the kitchen cupboard. But I have checked all the hinges and as far as I can see they all look fine. So either it was a stray part left behind by an installer or something has broken and I just haven't found it yet. :(

I found what looks like a hinge part in the bottom of the kitchen cupboard. But I have checked all the hinges and as far as I can see they all look fine. So either it was a stray part left behind by an installer or something has broken and I just haven't found it yet. :(

You just found a 58pound gift from VW:D

Reactions: DM
Yes I had to replace one of these in our previous Cali, they are easily broken if you close the lid down and there's something underneath it. I had to pay myself and at that time they were £48, that's inflation for you :(

I would that is what the warranty is for our's was done at Breeze Southampton under warranty
I dont have a problem claiming under warranty BUT I foolishly thought (silly me) that a simple hinge would have cost about 10 quid not 58. And the fact I have to take it 90 mile round trip to get it done as they wont supply me with a new hinge even tho they have the broken one, they have to fit it. I suppose I can see the logic in that as some people can be dangerous with an allen key.

What I would seriously like to know is ,are these hinges made ONLY for the VW California or can they be bought somewhere else at a "reasonable" price.

Had my lid replaced under warranty for two missing bump stops !!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And the fact I have to take it 90 mile round trip to get it done as they wont supply me with a new hinge even tho they have the broken one, they have to fit it. I suppose I can see the logic in that as some people can be dangerous with an allen key.

We used ours broken for 6 or 7 month done with service.

What I would seriously like to know is ,are these hinges made ONLY for the VW California or can they be bought somewhere else at a "reasonable" price.
Time for a picture and a prize for who can find them. VW still got my hinges together with the rest of it presumably on shelves somewhere in Germany so can't do the pics

Mike

I reckon you could send one of the hinges to a factory in China and get them made (probably stronger) for a fraction of the cost. Only problem though, you would have to have a thousand made.

I have now actually found the company that makes them. They are called Hafele they are a German company but have a branch in the UK. Im just waiting for them to get back to me with a price. Hopefully it will be less than £58. I have also realised that there are 9 of these hinges not 7 so that makes it £522 for the set .

Back