Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Ocean ‘ventilate mode’ - pls help!

Mooreml1

Mooreml1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi everyone

on the control panel for the aux heater There is the specific setting to ventilate however very little is mentioned in either the manual all the supplement and when I sent it to ventilate mode how on earth do you switch it on?
The ‘heat immediately’ does just that, and ‘heat continuously’ also fires up the burner! The dials on the dash don’t do anything?
So can anyone with the system please shed some light?
Many thanks

450C65A6-1047-4958-B55F-265AAD234EFE.jpeg

84087705-6367-40AD-8608-805F42258E6B.jpeg

Hi everyone

on the control panel for the aux heater There is the specific setting to ventilate however very little is mentioned in either the manual all the supplement and when I sent it to ventilate mode how on earth do you switch it on?
The ‘heat immediately’ does just that, and ‘heat continuously’ also fires up the burner! The dials on the dash don’t do anything?
So can anyone with the system please shed some light?
Many thanks

View attachment 80673

View attachment 80674

Thankyou for the reply welshgas. I have read that particular thread prior to the post. My issue to be specific is that I cannot figure out, when the system is in ventilate mode how to actually switch it on so air comes out of the dash vents as mentioned by others. The heat immediately and heat continuously both fire the burner up irrespective of ventilate mode and the buttons on the dash do nothing at all…..is there another on/off somewhere besides the remote?

Thankyou for the reply welshgas. I have read that particular thread prior to the post. My issue to be specific is that I cannot figure out, when the system is in ventilate mode how to actually switch it on so air comes out of the dash vents as mentioned by others. The heat immediately and heat continuously both fire the burner up irrespective of ventilate mode and the buttons on the dash do nothing at all…..is there another on/off somewhere besides the remote?
I have the same issue, my next guess is going to be changing the mode with the ignition on. But very low on the priority lists!!

Is the Dashboard system On when you switch the Ignition Off

No, nothing. Ignition off and all climate buttons are off…
That might be why. Try Ignition On, Climate Control fan on, Ignition Off and then try the Ventilate function again.
It might only work if the Climate Control was on when the Ignition is switched Off.

The output from the dashboard fans is still regulated by the fan speed knob on the dash but limited to about 1/2 max speed.

Set overhead control panel to Ventilate & then turn the fan speed control if nothing is coming out.

Sadly that doesn’t do it, I have climate control on all the time whilst driving. It seems VW have cocked up here!

The heat immediately and heat continuously both fire the burner up irrespective of ventilate mode and the buttons on the dash do nothing at all…..is there another on/off somewhere besides the remote?

How are you trying to turn Vent on?

Ive just checked mine, turn on ignition,turn on OH control panel, choose operating mode - "ventilation", turn off ignition. I had heat level 3 selected.

Now whenever you select heat immediatly or use the remote it fires up ventilation via the dash rather than the aux heater.

It will continue to do this every time you turn it on until you go into control panel & change the mode.

Note, if you fire it up with the ignition on, the settings you have chosen for the Aircon will override the vent mode, but as soon as you turn the ignition off ventilate mode will be turned on.
You can see that its working as you will have 3 bars lit on the fan speed controller.

Last edited:
That’s great advice thanks andyinluton, tried it and it works great. The manual is rubbish on this matter! It would help if the infographic changed from ‘heat immediately’ to ‘ventilate’!
I see you can increase the timer to a max runtime of 720 mins, so theoretically it would go all night?
Not sure if it’s smart enough to not drain the battery as im pretty sure it runs off the car as the panel doesn’t register any current draw when it’s running…

I see you can increase the timer to a max runtime of 720 mins, so theoretically it would go all night?

I think you’ll find it’s 120 mins, not 720. Certainly is on mine. Maybe you’re misreading a 1 for a 7?

Apologies if this a stupid question - but what situation would "Ventilate" be useful?

Is this designed for a situation where you can't/won't open a window when parked up and want some "fresh air" in the van? Eg - could you cook with Ventilate mode enabled and the windows closed?

I was thinking more to create a breeze on a wind free warm night like we have been experiencing lately…..without biting insects getting in!

I was thinking similar - if I was parked in a cloud of midges, could I use ventilate and forget about opening windows, putting screens in, etc...

I think you’ll find it’s 120 mins, not 720. Certainly is on mine. Maybe you’re misreading a 1 for a 7?
Oops…yes 120 my mistake….not ideal for overnight then!
I’m surprised VW haven’t rigged this with a function to run continuously (it’s quiet enough) when on hookup

I was thinking it'd be useful in the mornings to clear condensation on the windscreen...

I was thinking it'd be useful in the mornings to clear condensation on the windscreen...
It’s absolutely useless for that, it doesn’t blow air out the windscreen vents.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sad
Back