Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 owners what problems & issues have you had with your Cali and how quickly was it put right.

Hi, I’ve had my new T6.1 for a month now.
1, The driver window refuses to close and I was (helpfully) informed by the dealer to use one hand on the glass to help it up while feathering the window switch to get it to stay in place. Not much help when your trying to leave the M6 toll section in the pouring rain.
2, I get EPC error lights, the engine operates at restricted power and am informed that the ACC isn’t working when using cruise control in wet weather.
The dealer has had the van for the past two days without feedback, anyone else experienced similar on the EPC / ACC and had it resolved?

Thanks
I have t6.1 4 weeks now. Driving back home this afternoon Epc error, no power, no acc, no lane assist , max 60 mph on highway . No idea what caused it.

I have t6.1 4 weeks now. Driving back home this afternoon Epc error, no power, no acc, no lane assist , max 60 mph on highway . No idea what caused it.
Hi @Roger Boeken have you tried switching the van off, locking it, waiting a few minutes, then restarting? Sometimes these electronic systems failures are ‘cured’ with a reboot.

Hi @Roger Boeken have you tried switching the van off, locking it, waiting a few minutes, then restarting? Sometimes these electronic systems failures are ‘cured’ with a reboot.
I will try right away.. thank you: manual only mentions to stop engine, not to get out and lock vehicle.
reset worked, all errors disappeared , but after a test drive of less than 10 miles problem is back ..
only 400 miles on the counter.

I will try right away.. thank you: manual only mentions to stop engine, not to get out and lock vehicle.
reset worked, all errors disappeared , but after a test drive of less than 10 miles problem is back ..
only 400 miles on the counter.
OK that’s a shame. Maybe a visit to your VW workshop is needed but before that you could try a reset by removing and replacing the fuses 5 to 8. You may get some error messages once you’ve done this but they should clear after a short drive. Maybe other members with more knowledge than me can advise?

1E2BA8AF-504D-42E3-A7FD-0C7FD369C2B6.png

New 6.1 in Feb 2022. 3 issues noted:
1. Clean water tank drain misaligned, water leaked into boot. Fixed by Sheffield Van Centre ‘known issue’.
2. Pop top canvas pulling away from roof channel. Self fixed, for now.
3. Sliding door blind guides misaligned at bottom, waiting on the first service to have rectified.

My experience since 2013 on a T5 Beach (own import), T5 SE and T6 Ocean; never explored things mentioned above and never had any complaints whatsoever. Either very lucky or good dealership before delivery.....

If I was to come across mentioned problems I would start with (especially on vans of a couple of months old) contacting my dealer and have it fixed. If that should not help, why not contact the VW importer https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/company/volkswagen-uk.html and let them read this forum part....

I have had a factory tour a couple of years ago in the VW commercial Van production facility in Hannover. Very impressive and also on the QA part.
Then went over to the site where the California"s are built. They are transported to there from the main factory with the roof cut open (a temporary hood over the roof) and in that site the Cali's poptop roof, kitchen, wardrobes etc. are mounted by hand! Especially the poptop roof mounting get's attention for quality assurance. (there is a YouTube film
).

In conclusion; you have "the luck" of getting Monday Morning products OR VW has slacken their QA due to a very high demand of Cali's over the last 2 or 3 years.

I think I will hold on to our T6 Ocean for a little while longer....

New 6.1 in Feb 2022. 3 issues noted:
1. Clean water tank drain misaligned, water leaked into boot. Fixed by Sheffield Van Centre ‘known issue’.
2. Pop top canvas pulling away from roof channel. Self fixed, for now.
3. Sliding door blind guides misaligned at bottom, waiting on the first service to have rectified.
Number 2, here also At one corner. New t6.1 july 2022

OK that’s a shame. Maybe a visit to your VW workshop is needed but before that you could try a reset by removing and replacing the fuses 5 to 8. You may get some error messages once you’ve done this but they should clear after a short drive. Maybe other members with more knowledge than me can advise?

View attachment 97829
tried that too now. Connected Carista dongle diagnose and get 16 faults :
Basic OBD2:
P0299 (pending) (pending) (confirmed) (confirmed) - Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition (explains EPC error ?)
CAN network gateway:
8531970 - Quiescent current (> control unit indicates -1A constantly)
Central electronics:
Instrument cluster:
16777018 - Function restricted due to interrupted communications
16777022 - Function Restriction due to Interrupted Communications (BAP_NAV SD_0x32 keine Kommunikation)
ABS:
01209 - Number of revolutions signal generator clamp (W))
Adaptive cruise control:
02111 - Motor for Window Regulator
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Driver Side (F220)
02068 - Optical Databus System Switched Off
Telematics:
01866 - Right Rear Air Outlet Motor Position Sensor (G350)
Engine:
Infotainment system:
Obtained with Carista 6.5.1 for iOS

Motor management symbol lights up on dashboard and won't go away anymore.
I'll have to pay visit to VW workshop.. keep you informed

Because these questions tend to get a lot of people giving their faults, creating the impression that all VW's are falling to bits., I thought I'd pepper that with our experience of our July 22 Cali.

So far, touch wood, zero major issues. Six minor ones:

1 - Our sliding blind above the sink rolls up about 4" on it's own. Blu Tack fixes for now, it will probably fix itself over time.
2 - The tape in the roof sections covering the sharp corners were tatty. Not strictly a fault but replaced with some of my own loom tape.
3 - The sink tap spat out small bits of black plastic for a short while. Just ran a load of water through and was then ok.
4 - The silver detailing at the top of the long cupboard above the fridge peeled away. Pushed back and been ok since.
5 - Some small rust spots on the rock n roll frame, visible from the back. It will never be a real issue.
6 - The seat pull handle doesnt always go back into the closed position and flaps about. Move the seat an inch and is normally fine.

And, we hope, that's it. I've given it a good once over, in and out, all good. Full wash several times as well, which is a great way to check paintwork and hidden areas, especially with a ladder on the roof. Will likely give the roof seal a good clean in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
No.6 (the flappy handle) appears to be normal. If the seat is not fully in one of the lock positions the handle will move. Typically occurs when moving forward to make the bed. It’s happened on 2 Oceans we hired, and on our own.

No.6 (the flappy handle) appears to be normal. If the seat is not fully in one of the lock positions the handle will move. Typically occurs when moving forward to make the bed. It’s happened on 2 Oceans we hired, and on our own.
It seems to happen with the smallest misalignment, so every time I move the seat while standing outside the van as opposed to moving it while sitting on the bench. I think both rails need to catch exactly the same lock on both rails. You get used to it.

Disappointed in what should be a quality product. I’ve had my 6.1 for 19 months and here are some of my issues:

1. Poptop drops causing the canvas to sag. Auto correction does not always kick in and requires a manual reset. Sometimes the poptop when raised stops after a few seconds with a message “the roof is open”. It’s more frustrating when I’m on a site with other T6.1 owners and they don’t have a problem with their poptop.

2. Hem stitching around canvas is coming away (front window/flyscreen opening).

3. Plastic facia to under seat drawer broken due to drawer not being aligned (catches on handle to pull the seat forward).

4. Passenger side pullout windscreen blind does not secure properly in the top fixing bracket - without notice it flies uncontrollable (in a mess) back to the pillar. When used, I use two bulldog clips to hold the blinds together.

5. Similar problems as previously reported regarding table fixings and left hand cupboard catch.

I’ll stop there as I’m on a break and don’t want to spoil the trip! Happy travels!

This would be useful as a poll.

SOS system fault - known VW issue across lots of models, cured by latest software update.
Gear lever "shift to park" warning - again known VW issue, new gearshift assembly fitted.

Rusting roof seal - Seal replaced (badly) awaiting 2nd attempt.
Random fridge switching off - not resolved
Grey water not showing empty - not resolved
Broken left kitchen cuboard latch - replaced twice, given up now!

Not too bad for a complicated vehicle however our 18 plate Kadjar has given us zero problems even with its infamous French electrics

This is my list after 2 years, T6.1 Ocean MY20.

Everything has been fixed under guarantee, but the van has been around 4/5 of 24 months in the workshop. Glad to have 3 years guarantee, but I think I won't buy another VW vehicle.
  • Grey water tank drain pipe incorrectly assembled from factory

• Wrong inspection interval from factory
    TPI exists. Fixed after first inspection

• ABS unit incorrectly coded from factory
    The maneuver braking function was not available. After writting a complain letter to VW Germany the workshop received the instructions to code the ABS unit.

• Clock reset
    TPI exists. Fixed updating digital cockpit software.

• Infotainment randomly crashing
  • Infotainment hanging loading user profile
  • Not possible to show navigation maps in digital cockpit
    TPI exists. Fixed updating Infotainment to SW 0278

• Kitchen led strip glow
    Fixed installing an adapter in the wiring loom.

• Rear climate control glowing when camping heater on
  • Rest button not working correctly
    Fixed by replacing the Climatronic control unit.

• Tailgate leak
    It was damaged in the transport and the tailgate was (badly) repaired before delivery.

• Awning not closing due to wrinkles
    Replaced

• Fridge seal does not adjust
    Being repaired. Waiting for replacement parts.

• Can't syncronize WeConnect user profile
    Will be fixed by a future software update. TPI in progress.

• Can't load radio logos from USB
    No solution yet.

• Random fridge shutdown
    No solution yet

• Leisure batteries drain
    No solution yet.

Oh, I forgot:
  • Table strap and child safety net from T6 instead of T6.1
    Both did not fit, new parts were ordered.

tried that too now. Connected Carista dongle diagnose and get 16 faults :
Basic OBD2:
P0299 (pending) (pending) (confirmed) (confirmed) - Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition (explains EPC error ?)
CAN network gateway:
8531970 - Quiescent current (> control unit indicates -1A constantly)
Central electronics:
Instrument cluster:
16777018 - Function restricted due to interrupted communications
16777022 - Function Restriction due to Interrupted Communications (BAP_NAV SD_0x32 keine Kommunikation)
ABS:
01209 - Number of revolutions signal generator clamp (W))
Adaptive cruise control:
02111 - Motor for Window Regulator
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Driver Side (F220)
02068 - Optical Databus System Switched Off
Telematics:
01866 - Right Rear Air Outlet Motor Position Sensor (G350)
Engine:
Infotainment system:
Obtained with Carista 6.5.1 for iOS

Motor management symbol lights up on dashboard and won't go away anymore.
I'll have to pay visit to VW workshop.. keep you informed
vw workshop : will try too have a look at it coming days..first thougt: sable damage.
sounds logical : smell of brand new car must be irresistible...

My T6.1 has had a couple of issues

- tailgate leak - fixed with a new seal under warranty at a few weeks old. Been fine ever since.
- the SOS and SatNav ‘stalling’ mentioned by others - both seem to have been fixed by software update at 1 year oil change / minor service
- drivers door not opening / closing in cold weather - never reported but was also fixed due to recall at 1st year service

My main issues with my T6 happened after the 3 year warranty expired, I had fortunately purchased the 2 year factory extended warranty. I’ve done the same again and hope to be able to swap out for a 199, 4Motion Beach before the 5 years are up… come on VW UK…

My experience since 2013 on a T5 Beach (own import), T5 SE and T6 Ocean; never explored things mentioned above and never had any complaints whatsoever. Either very lucky or good dealership before delivery.....

If I was to come across mentioned problems I would start with (especially on vans of a couple of months old) contacting my dealer and have it fixed. If that should not help, why not contact the VW importer https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/company/volkswagen-uk.html and let them read this forum part....

I have had a factory tour a couple of years ago in the VW commercial Van production facility in Hannover. Very impressive and also on the QA part.
Then went over to the site where the California"s are built. They are transported to there from the main factory with the roof cut open (a temporary hood over the roof) and in that site the Cali's poptop roof, kitchen, wardrobes etc. are mounted by hand! Especially the poptop roof mounting get's attention for quality assurance. (there is a YouTube film
).

In conclusion; you have "the luck" of getting Monday Morning products OR VW has slacken their QA due to a very high demand of Cali's over the last 2 or 3 years.

I think I will hold on to our T6 Ocean for a little while longer....
“OR vw has slacken their QA due to…” I wonder: nobody read my thread 'Cut corners on quality? Possible (& article with some explanation).'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...possible-article-with-some-explanation.45969/

Thought I'd revive this thread to see what other problems owners are experiencing and what you think of the T6.1 build quality.
I think that the t6.1 california could actually be a bit better. I have to say that any other campervan of this size or larger, the conventional campers, large and small actually also have reasonable rattles, squeaks and creaks, but with a latest model California I expect better ... me anyway, each his idea about this. I know it's actually an old transporter but it may now be the matured product it should normally be. It's not. Too bad but I like to travel with it because there it is still a winner and this is our main purpose with it but it is also my commuter transport and there does he disappoint: it's not quiet, he is too much like a clunker, a hooptie.
And then I won't say anything about what doesn't work, half works or doesn't work correctly, but we have been spared most troubles I read the different threads.
This said, I can add the following issues: we regularly have to close the right front door again before it is completely closed. Normal force regularly results in the door having fallen into the lock only partially; dealer adjusted the part in the door frame but didn't helped.
The canvas has also come loose at the top left and they will look at that any time soon. About the noise: The creaking and squeaking of the front seat(s) I solved myself with a lot of silicone spray (although the dealer has also tried several times to solve this, even replaced parts). Last but not least: when the air con gives cool air, there is a nasty crackle that comes from the right under the windshield. When I mentioned it, they don't seem to be very eager to be busy with that. To be continued. And then there's the rattling in the back. For me this is inherent to the concept. Fixed some rattles myself.
Sobriety is good especially with such a large expenditure but I keep ending with the following sentence that I really mean: The bus gives us the feeling that -during travels I must add- we are on the road with a firm update of the old one and that is all we wanted.
Greetings
Calibusje

Because these questions tend to get a lot of people giving their faults, creating the impression that all VW's are falling to bits., I thought I'd pepper that with our experience of our July 22 Cali.

So far, touch wood, zero major issues. Six minor ones:

1 - Our sliding blind above the sink rolls up about 4" on it's own. Blu Tack fixes for now, it will probably fix itself over time.
2 - The tape in the roof sections covering the sharp corners were tatty. Not strictly a fault but replaced with some of my own loom tape.
3 - The sink tap spat out small bits of black plastic for a short while. Just ran a load of water through and was then ok.
4 - The silver detailing at the top of the long cupboard above the fridge peeled away. Pushed back and been ok since.
5 - Some small rust spots on the rock n roll frame, visible from the back. It will never be a real issue.
6 - The seat pull handle doesnt always go back into the closed position and flaps about. Move the seat an inch and is normally fine.

And, we hope, that's it. I've given it a good once over, in and out, all good. Full wash several times as well, which is a great way to check paintwork and hidden areas, especially with a ladder on the roof. Will likely give the roof seal a good clean in the next few weeks.
1: yes, with us anyway.
2: did the same
3, 4 & 5: not with us; not seen (yet)
6: yes, but indeed it doesn't seem to be a problem
The paintwork does appear to be good.
Have fun with your cali!

Back