Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6 & 10 Amps Abroad

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Sorry possibly a naive question, but unlike the UK 16 amps, does 6/10 amps make any difference when plugged in do I need alternative hookup cable? or am I ok with what I use in the UK, also I have read about reverse polarity, I understand what it means but what precautions should I take if any.

Thanks in advance.

The supply amperage has no bearing on the type of socket, most but not all in France are now the same blue '16A' style as we have here in the UK. That being said I always carry a Shuko type plug (https://cpc.farnell.com/c/plugs/schuko-plugs) with a short length of flex and a '16A' style socket on the other end just in case. Many campsites will be able to lend you a suitable adaptor should you need it.
As for polarity reversals I don't worry too much about it as I always rely on un-pluging any appliance to be sure both connections are disconnected. All other items in my camper are double insulated.
I would assume that a California is designed to accept either polarity without problems as it is produced in a country where such occurrences are common.
If it worries you, carry a socket test plug (https://www.toolstation.com/socket-tester/p82826) or similar and make up a very short lead extension cable with the Live and Neutral wires reversed to correct any reversed supplies. Mark it to remind you what it does!

Sorry possibly a naive question, but unlike the UK 16 amps, does 6/10 amps make any difference when plugged in do I need alternative hookup cable? or am I ok with what I use in the UK, also I have read about reverse polarity, I understand what it means but what precautions should I take if any.

Thanks in advance.
Will make no difference in practice. Some European sites, more so if they have 6amp circuits might require the 2 pin extension that should have come with your California, added to your normal mains lead at the Input end.
Reverse Polarity just means that the +tve and -Tve wires are swopped at the campsite socket. No effect on the California Charger or mains circuit but it does mean that anything you plug into the California Mains socket remains live when switched Off. This might be of concern if the item has a metal body. Just unplug it when not in use but then again most items have plastic bodies or are well insulated.
If you are really concerned you can get a special mains plug that tells you if you have Reversed Polarity and a short Extension lead for your Mains Cable that is crossword to correct the polarity. Both available on Amazon or eBay or a good Camping/Caravan shop.

The supply amperage has no bearing on the type of socket, most but not all in France are now the same blue '16A' style as we have here in the UK. That being said I always carry a Shuko type plug (https://cpc.farnell.com/c/plugs/schuko-plugs) with a short length of flex and a '16A' style socket on the other end just in case. Many campsites will be able to lend you a suitable adaptor should you need it.
As for polarity reversals I don't worry too much about it as I always rely on un-pluging any appliance to be sure both connections are disconnected. All other items in my camper are double insulated.
I would assume that a California is designed to accept either polarity without problems as it is produced in a country where such occurrences are common.
If it worries you, carry a socket test plug (https://www.toolstation.com/socket-tester/p82826) or similar and make up a very short lead extension cable with the Live and Neutral wires reversed to correct any reversed supplies. Mark it to remind you what it does!
Many thanks Rod for your explanation certainly gives me confidence now no real harm can come, we will be sure to unplug anyway. Thanks Again.

Will make no difference in practice. Some European sites, more so if they have 6amp circuits might require the 2 pin extension that should have come with your California, added to your normal mains lead at the Input end.
Reverse Polarity just means that the +tve and -Tve wires are swopped at the campsite socket. No effect on the California Charger or mains circuit but it does mean that anything you plug into the California Mains socket remains live when switched Off. This might be of concern if the item has a metal body. Just unplug it when not in use but then again most items have plastic bodies or are well insulated.
If you are really concerned you can get a special mains plug that tells you if you have Reversed Polarity and a short Extension lead for your Mains Cable that is crossword to correct the polarity. Both available on Amazon or eBay or a good Camping/Caravan shop.
As Normal Welsh Gas very informative and reassuring, good to know that no ill effects will harm our on board equipment.

Thanks again.

These are quite good, also come in handy at
home checking for any loose socket wires:

387E9874-2CBA-4B10-8130-8523F7A077F2.png

As Normal Welsh Gas very informative and reassuring, good to know that no ill effects will harm our on board equipment.

Thanks again.
Just be aware of the current, in amps, any equipment you plug in requires. On 6 amps then you would be limited to a 1000w kettle, requiring 4+ amps as the On board charger would be taking the rest. And if the leisure batteries are very low not even the kettle for a few hours.

On one trip we did to Switzerland in the past the site had a different plug, but the site were happy to provide a suitable adaptor to go to the standard blue 16a.
Can't remember whether you hired it or there was a refundable deposit.
That was in our trailer tent days, so over 14 years ago.
I have just checked their web site it says
"Ninety percent of the plots are equipped with Swiss-type sockets. Adapters for other systems are available from reception upon payment of a deposit."

This is what they look like1580720380608.png

Back