Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European hook up amperage for a t6 beach?

ross walker

ross walker

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hi,
We are shortly going on a trip to the pyrenees in our new T6 Beach first time away, and really confused about what amps we need?
I noticed on the reservation forms that they offer different amp supplies up to 10 amps, if we want to use the equivalent power supply that you would expect from a 230 uk hook up in amps what would you need in France so you don't blow the box or van?
Thanks
Ross.

You will have no problems. Europe, including the UK, operates at 230v so plugging in anywhere will do no harm.

The ampage indicates just how much power you will have available for whatever appliances you want to use.

Power available is measured in watts which is amps * volts so in the case of a 220v power supply, 10amps will give you 2,200 watts, 16A will give you 3,200. The wattage of each appliance will be found somewhere on the appliance itself. My electrical kettle, for example, is 1,000 W and my remoska cooker is 440W so together they will draw 1440 W which is a comfortable load on a 10a site.

If it was winter and I also decided to use my 1,000W electric heater (three appliances running off one 230v plug socket!)... making a cup of tea, cooking in my Remoska, heating the van ...... 1,000W + 440W + 1,000W = 2,400W then on a 10A electric supply I am likely to be having an uncomfortable conversation with the site owner as to why I tripped his electric supply :).

Also this only applies to those appliances running off 230v. Anything running off 12V (internal lights for example) are powered by the leisure battery and whilst the internal battery charging will be drawing something for all practical purposes they can be ignored.

Last edited:
We used to simply switch of some units when boiling the kettle (travel one) on low power supplies.
Power available has improved in France over the years so less problematic now.
Way back 6Amp was often all that was included in pitch fee.

Sites used to ask how much current you required and charged accordingly and fitted a fuse or trip in your power outlet to suit.

As above just check the power ratings on appliances and keep the total within a safe margin.

The Blue socket you now see as standard on most sites can deliver up to 16A, but as pointed out earlier, can have a lower rating of 6 or 10. The breaker in the rear of the Cali has a maximum of 13A.
Therefore the maximum wattage will be;
@6A = 1440w
@10A = 2400w
@13A = 3120w

Please bear in mind that in some places where the cable runs may be long , the voltage may be lower at the post and this, in turn, may lower the available wattage and you may also have the onboard charger drawing some current but this will reduce as the batteries become charged.

If you’re cooking, heating or using a kettle you’ll need the high Amperage, otherwise the low Amperage will be fine for a fridge, charging and running lights.

Okay thats been a great help i wanted a new lefty and couldn't buy one in the uk so had to buy in france through a dealer, and never got a complete handover so still sussing stuff out.
higher amperage the better i guess!
cheers
ross.

Once on a camping in France, can't remember where it was, they asked how much ampere we wanted. Because there was another new arrivel before us, I had the time to look at the fuse board (yes, that was hanging in the reception on the wall?). They were all 16A. I just said the 6A would do. Paid the lowest electricity price, but could use the 2000W water kettle without problem.

Sometimes it is worth to check the outside fuses, if possible. I have seen a couple of campings stating a couple of different amperes, but when you plug in, and have the opportunity to look at the fuses, it just might be 10 or 16A.
Sometimes it can be just a form of distraction. You think and ask hmm, 10A, or if possible, 16A, but when you take 4 or 6A, you are plugging into a 16A fuse, but not daring to put on your watter kettle.

They are not all like this, but I have come across some that stated 6 and 10A, but when you plug in, it is just always a 10A fuse.

I think he will be lucky to have a 16a supply from our 30 old yrs camping if france, unless he is using super duper 5* sites. We normally have 5 or 10 amps to play with, in Italy one site had 4amps. Now that did stretch my electrical mind

Back