Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

80 litre tank

I had a motorbike accident because of diesel from a truck that had over filled so I can vouch for that. Diesel on the road is like ice.
That's terrible MattBW, hope you're okay now and back on two wheels (as well as the calis 4).

I had a motorbike accident because of diesel from a truck that had over filled so I can vouch for that. Diesel on the road is like ice.

Absolutely agree 100%. I used to say (before I joined the dark side) that diesel should be £10 per litre so that users wouldn't want to lose any through spillage! Diesel spills are a death trap for two wheelers powered or not.

Also depends on how you fill the tank. If you stop filling when the pump cuts out you can get another 3 or 4 litres in if you withdraw the nozzle a bit and slowly put more fuel in. Sometimes diesel fuel foams up when being pumped, when the pump cut out occurs wait a few seconds for the foam to dissipate, then continue filling.

Interesting, coming from a B4 Passat with a 70 l tank, there was a technique called "venting". The filler recess had a spring loaded "nipple" in the side and by depressing this with the tip of the filler hose you could get another 20 litres in by filling the in-built expansion tank designed for use in hot climates where fuel from cold underground storage tanks would then expand considerably in the heat. We had a 1000 mile club for those who managed that far on a full full tank. But yes no more capacity for expansion!
Anyway, coming back to my 08 reg 2.5 174 tiptronic, this has the 80 l tank and the first couple of refills I did try to add a little more after the cutoff, only to find the tank really was almost brimfull!

Back