Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue - Engine Shutdown - although full?

tribloke

tribloke

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Had the Cali since late 2019, around March this year I filled up with Ad Blue with no issues. Range increased back up to, I forget but many 1000's. The Van has only done 7,000 miles.

Last weekend I was in Cornwall and out of the blue (pun intended) a yellow spanner appears saying 650 miles until engine shutdown - due to no Ad Blue. I thought this was a bit strange, and headed back home. 300 miles later, I topped up with only 3-4 litres of Ad Blue - the tank is over flowing.

Still have my nice new yellow spanner saying that here is no Ad Blue.

After filling I left the ignition on for 30 seconds (and longer) before starting, but still nothing. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrrow, but anyone have any advice? I don't know the fault codes.

Sounds like a sudden loss on the sensor in the Ad Blue tank.

Last edited:
VW got back to me and I have to wait 3 weeks to get it into the garage for diagnostics. Both people I spoke to just said the Ad Blue set up is very poor and they see lots of issues with it. Makes you wonder why VW have not properly addressed this.

Just wondering if disconnecting the starter battery for a period of time might reset the system ? @Loz may be able to assist in the answer

I know from experience that VW can force the sensor to reset, (presuming the sensor still works) VW Simply hook up to the lap top and force the sensor to recalibrate
do you know anyone with VCDS?

three weeks to be seen at a garage is disgusting, so what happens if your engine shuts down whilst out and about ? (300 miles) or
do VW expect you not to use your van ?
what happens if your doorstep your dealer and start speaking loudly about the poor service and poorer design, so other customers can hear !

IMO keep calling out VW assist daily,
VW prioritise VW assist calls to get them fixed & if it breaks down within that three weeks, VW assist will transport it to the dealer of your choice, who will then have to prioritise the repair anyway and you get a hire car for as long as the repair takes

have you tried another dealer ?

edit VW assist maybe able to reset the sensor

Oh I'll await Loz, but sounds like a good idea. Sadly no I don't know anyone with VCDS.

VW didn't seem too concerned about me using the van :( I intend to complain to them after.

Can VW assist, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The dealer was Leicester, I know from my service they are under-staffed. I called Nottingham, who said they couldn't even look at it for over a month. Although they did say they would call back if they could fit me in. They never called back... Derby is a bit too far. But I may try tomorrow.

i believe the sensor needs to look at the top of the ad blue level so if you overfill it, it won't work correctly. try siphoning a couple of litres out

i believe the sensor needs to look at the top of the ad blue level so if you overfill it, it won't work correctly. try siphoning a couple of litres out
Vw assist should be able to do that for the OP

as already said above, it will need a software update to overcome the first problem, but as you have now brimmed it, you need to safely remove a couple of litres to give it the best chance of resetting.

Others reporting the same issue have reported the 600 miles jumped back up when driving.

After removing the excess you could disconnect the starter battery for a minute and force the system reset along with other systems like clock and one touch windows which will need resetting.

*also I’m going to say this, but I’m sure you know, be careful with starting the syphon as you don’t want the AdBlue in your mouth, so use a long hose, stuff as much as you can in the tank, then put your finger on the end to seal it, keeping your finger on the end, drag the excess house out and down to a container and then let your finger off and that should start the syphon.

The workshop procedure uses a vacuum system with the hose put down the fill pipe so if you have a wet vac you could also adapt a small hose on the vac pipe and suck the fluid out, but you will then have to thoroughly clean the wet vac afterwards.

Last edited:
as already said above, it will need a software update to overcome the first problem, but as you have now brimmed it, you need to safely remove a couple of litres to give it the best chance of resetting.

Others reporting the same issue have reported the 600 miles jumped back up when driving.

After removing the excess you could disconnect the starter battery for a minute and force the system reset along with other systems like clock and one touch windows which will need resetting.

*also I’m going to say this, but I’m sure you know, be careful with starting the syphon as you don’t want the adblue in your mouth :) use a long hose, stuff as much as you can in the tank, then put your finger on the end to seal it, keeping your finger on the end, drag the excess house out and down to a container and then let your finger off and that should start the syphon.
Also note that a syphon tube will only go in a short way; don’t attempt to force pass the stoppage (one-way valve?) less than a foot of travel down. As previously said you only need to remove the excess adblue.

Had a search and it would appear that this fault has popped up across the VAG cars as well. as @los says software is common fix.

I had my sensor reset after the Dealer filled my Add Blue as a courtesy.
the Ad blue was low, the MFD showed approx 1000 mile range.

Despite the Dealer having put in 10litres in (their words) the range only increased by 2000 miles, (total range 3000 miles) so I requested them to check the tank was full and reset.
the Tech managed to fill a further few litres (using VW special bottles which prevent overfilling of the Ad blue tank)
The Tech then reset the Add blue sensor = no change, second try = no change, third try the sensor registered an increase of 1000 miles. (Total range 4000 miles)
on the drive home the sensor obviously recalibrated/ measure the tank again, which increased the range by a further 1500 miles, so I can confirm what @Loz says.

Oh I'll await Loz, but sounds like a good idea. Sadly no I don't know anyone with VCDS.

VW didn't seem too concerned about me using the van :( I intend to complain to them after.

Can VW assist, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The dealer was Leicester, I know from my service they are under-staffed. I called Nottingham, who said they couldn't even look at it for over a month. Although they did say they would call back if they could fit me in. They never called back... Derby is a bit too far. But I may try tomorrow.
We hope your problem has been resolved?
We would be interested to know how.

I had my sensor reset after the Dealer filled my Add Blue as a courtesy.
the Ad blue was low, the MFD showed approx 1000 mile range.

Despite the Dealer having put in 10litres in (their words) the range only increased by 2000 miles, (total range 3000 miles) so I requested them to check the tank was full and reset.
the Tech managed to fill a further few litres (using VW special bottles which prevent overfilling of the Ad blue tank)
The Tech then reset the Add blue sensor = no change, second try = no change, third try the sensor registered an increase of 1000 miles. (Total range 4000 miles)
on the drive home the sensor obviously recalibrated/ measure the tank again, which increased the range by a further 1500 miles, so I can confirm what @Loz says.
I’ve got a coast, just done 3000miles, 3 months old and it’s in the garage due to an Adblue issue.
I called the garage at first and also had crazy offers of bookings to look at it so phoned VW assist who had it in the garage same day.
It’s not back with me yet but at least I have a hire car. Replacement pump is on back order with no forecast. VW assist bloke warned not to overfill tank but also said that 6.1 was pretty good.
Have also had issues with ACC in heavy rain, is that anyone else has noticed?

issues with ACC in heavy rain
Hi Dave, welcome on board.

Yup, the ACC has its limits. A few things that are known to throw the ACC off track:
- debris such as leaf or dirt stuck to the sensor in front
- metal barricades by the side of road construction on motorways (this is a funny one) does not happen every time, but I have had this happen twice on the same stretch of the M6 under construction in the contraflow lane near Stoke on Trent I think - this was year before, and happened last month again somewhere there when returning from Glasgow.
- very heavy rain ... but that is a combination of rain and crud from the road

Under normal driving conditions, it does work very well and makes driving a pleasure.

Enjoy the bus and happy adventures.

I’ve got a coast, just done 3000miles, 3 months old and it’s in the garage due to an Adblue issue.
I called the garage at first and also had crazy offers of bookings to look at it so phoned VW assist who had it in the garage same day.
It’s not back with me yet but at least I have a hire car. Replacement pump is on back order with no forecast. VW assist bloke warned not to overfill tank but also said that 6.1 was pretty good.
Have also had issues with ACC in heavy rain, is that anyone else has noticed?
My cali has gone in for a new ad blue pump after 4000 miles and 4 months old! Do you have yours back yet? I have been told the part is on back order and due end of November!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah got it back in a week. They said the same on the part but it arrived after 6 days .
Hope you get yours sorted, did notice there was less adblue in the tank, which is inline with other posts on overfilling.

Yeah got it back in a week. They said the same on the part but it arrived after 6 days .
Hope you get yours sorted, did notice there was less adblue in the tank, which is inline with other posts on overfilling.
Got it back on Saturday which was also a week, so far so good and like you my range was 13000 miles when it went in and now shows 12000 miles.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Back