80 litre tank

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I should have an 80 litre tank - I certainly requested this as an option, and have been charged accordingly on the invoice.

My first refuel was under 60 litres when the gauge was showing well above the red. This was less than expected.

For the second refuel I waited until the gauge was in the red and a warning light showed. The display indicated first 50 miles range, then 40 miles, and finally 30 miles before I refuelled. 67.8 litres went in. Is this normal for an 80 litre tank? I know it is not healthy to allow a diesel tank to go too low, but 12.2 litres seems too much for warnings.

Other than siphoning out the fuel, how can I tell if my tank is 80 litres?

I would guess that looks about correct. When mine gets to the red line I can only every get under 60 litres. My last fill was around 55 miles left shown via MFD and I squeezed in 58.8 litres.

edit: I have the 70l standard btw.
..me..

Last edited:
I should have an 80 litre tank - I certainly requested this as an option, and have been charged accordingly on the invoice.

My first refuel was under 60 litres when the gauge was showing well above the red. This was less than expected.

For the second refuel I waited until the gauge was in the red and a warning light showed. The display indicated first 50 miles range, then 40 miles, and finally 30 miles before I refuelled. 67.8 litres went in. Is this normal for an 80 litre tank? I know it is not healthy to allow a diesel tank to go too low, but 12.2 litres seems too much for warnings.

Subject to your previous driving style the 30 miles would rprobably require between 4 and 5 litres. So you've definitely got a tank that is bigger than 70 litres. So yes - you probably do have an 80 litre tank. But other than letting it run dry ........;.......

Hmm, strange, I have the standard tank and I usually fill upp 67.5L and once 70.4 when it said 0km left.

I also have the standard 70l tank, on my MY7 Cali Beach (similar build date to yours I believe) and I was able to get 64L in last week, MFD said I had 30 miles range left.

Look at the sticker in the front of the service book and see if the tank code is there.

The most I have ever got into my 80l tank is 73l and that was with driving the last 10 miles with white knuckles.

Look at the sticker in the front of the service book and see if the tank code is there.
It doesn't pop up in this decoder:
X13 = National sales program Europe (RHD)
B0N = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Great Britain, various parts
V21 = Suspension range 221
G1C = 7-speed automatic transmission
H67 = Tires 215/65 R16C 106/104T optimized rolling resistance
J1N = Battery 420 A (75 Ah)
DN4 = 4-cyl. turbo dies. eng. 2.0 l/110 kW 4V TDI common rail Base engine is TS1/TR1
1AK = Electronic stabilization program (ESP) with brake assistant
1G2 = Steel spare wheel with original equipment tires
2ZH = Leather multi-function steering wheel
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels
5RV = Right exterior mirror: aspherical
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
T13 = 5-cylinder gasoline engine 2.3 L unit 066.Z (aluminum)
3S4 = Preparation for roof load rack
3U5 = Multiflex board
QI8 = Service indicator 40,000 km or 2 year ( variable )
8AY = Radio/navigation system
8GV = Alternator 180 A
2S3 = Pop-up roof
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption
7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus
0E1 = Short wheelbase
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
4R1 = Power windows
4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing
N0N = Woven fabric seat covering
5TC = Without decorative inserts
8RL = 6 speakers (passive)
2JG = Body-colored bumpers
E0A = No special edition
2V2 = Dust and pollen filter air outlet in drivers compartment
0JF = Weight category front axle weight range 6
0YC = Weight range 3 installation control only, no requirement forecast
1D2 = Trailer hitch, removable and lockable
A9A = California "Beach"
8IT = LED headlamps
U5B = Instrument insert, mph speedometer Great Britain
1N1 = Power steering
3L0 = Without special seat adjustment
4A0 = Without seat heater
8N1 = Windshield wiper intermittent control​

I think the Warning cuts in at about 15L and the engine cuts out at 5L because if the Fuel pump draws in dirt/air then it is not straightforward to purge the system.

The Miles to Drive info on the MFD is a very, very rough indication.

It doesn't pop up in this decoder:
X13 = National sales program Europe (RHD)
B0N = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Great Britain, various parts
V21 = Suspension range 221
G1C = 7-speed automatic transmission
H67 = Tires 215/65 R16C 106/104T optimized rolling resistance
J1N = Battery 420 A (75 Ah)
DN4 = 4-cyl. turbo dies. eng. 2.0 l/110 kW 4V TDI common rail Base engine is TS1/TR1
1AK = Electronic stabilization program (ESP) with brake assistant
1G2 = Steel spare wheel with original equipment tires
2ZH = Leather multi-function steering wheel
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels
5RV = Right exterior mirror: aspherical
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
T13 = 5-cylinder gasoline engine 2.3 L unit 066.Z (aluminum)
3S4 = Preparation for roof load rack
3U5 = Multiflex board
QI8 = Service indicator 40,000 km or 2 year ( variable )
8AY = Radio/navigation system
8GV = Alternator 180 A
2S3 = Pop-up roof
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption
7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus
0E1 = Short wheelbase
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
4R1 = Power windows
4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing
N0N = Woven fabric seat covering
5TC = Without decorative inserts
8RL = 6 speakers (passive)
2JG = Body-colored bumpers
E0A = No special edition
2V2 = Dust and pollen filter air outlet in drivers compartment
0JF = Weight category front axle weight range 6
0YC = Weight range 3 installation control only, no requirement forecast
1D2 = Trailer hitch, removable and lockable
A9A = California "Beach"
8IT = LED headlamps
U5B = Instrument insert, mph speedometer Great Britain
1N1 = Power steering
3L0 = Without special seat adjustment
4A0 = Without seat heater
8N1 = Windshield wiper intermittent control​
OFF TOPIC
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels-does anyone know if these are the wheel bolt covers and if so were they on the vehicle when new. Mine were missing, never seen a van with them on.
Wondered if dealers remove them on PDI and do not put them back.

OFF TOPIC
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels-does anyone know if these are the wheel bolt covers and if so were they on the vehicle when new. Mine were missing, never seen a van with them on.
Wondered if dealers remove them on PDI and do not put them back.
I think they are the Wheel Centres.
$_35.JPG

When my 80L tank had 0km on display and I drove like that for about 5km's, I've filled about 78.6l. So even when it says zero there is some margin.
That was not on purpose, the station I had aimed for was closed so I had to take the next one.

On page 375 of the owners manual it states "approx". 70l of which 26l reserve
and "approx" 80l of which 16l reserve. So does this mean when asked to refuel you could put 44l in a 70l and 64l in an 80 ?

I like the way it says approx!

On page 375 of the owners manual it states "approx". 70l of which 26l reserve and "approx" 80l of which 16l reserve. So does this mean when asked to refuel you could put 44l in a 70l and 64l in an 80 ?
It seems probable that 26l is a typing error for 16l. Even then, the reserve of a 70l tank being 29% of the non reserve capacity seems an extraordinarily high margin.

16l remaining when the warning light came on does make sense in the case of my recent refuel. The fuel gauge was showing an eighth of a tank or 10l, but I guess there's margin in that too.

The tank is also plastic and will vary in volume , can be between 5 - 10%, depending on the ambient temperature and the temperature of the fuel. Remember as the fuel is pumped from the tank at high pressure to the injectors it heats up and excess fuel, not used by the injectors, is returned to the tank at a significantly higher temperature which can cause the plastic tank to expand. Likewise in very cold weather the tank contracts so decreasing in volume. All these volume changes can produce a variation on the fuel gauge and a variation as to when the sensor detects a low volume.
VW's figures are nominal, measured at a standard temperature.

Last time we had a 'close call' with the reserve, we could fill up with 82 l.
We wondered about how exact the pump was... (another possible variant).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Also depends on how you fill the tank. If you stop filling when the pump cuts out you can get another 3 or 4 litres in if you withdraw the nozzle a bit and slowly put more fuel in. Sometimes diesel fuel foams up when being pumped, when the pump cut out occurs wait a few seconds for the foam to dissipate, then continue filling.

If filling to the 'brim' you are also filling the fuel tank inlet pipe which isn't part of the 70 or 80 ltr tank spec.

By filling to the brim you have no room to allow for fuel expansion. OK if going to carry on driving but you may have it blown off if parked up immediately, yes I've seen it happen. Especially during hot weather.

Well I wanted to order the 80l tank (September 16) but was told not available in the UK, so will come without it and I will get £60 of my quoted price. Wasn't happy, as that is one thing I really wanted. Can you get a bigger aftermarket tank fitted?

Well I wanted to order the 80l tank (September 16) but was told not available in the UK, so will come without it and I will get £60 of my quoted price. Wasn't happy, as that is one thing I really wanted. Can you get a bigger aftermarket tank fitted?
The option was there is September 2016 - I added it to my order.

If the reserve tank is 16 litres as it states in the booklet (assuming 26 litres is a typing error) then the main tank is 54 litres (for 70l) or 64 litres (for 80l), making the extra 10 litres 18.5% of the main tank.

I also added it to my order on the configurator then got told they can't do it. The configurator is pretty useless you know.

Read an article in the Auto Express where the T6 Transporter was reviewed and it said that as the T6 has the 13ltr Adblue tank the 80 ltr fuel tank fit had been dropped in favour of a 70 ltr one.
Possible as there seems to be a rationalisation of options the 80 ltr tank might be on the list of deleted parts.

Short of owners who think they have 80 ltr tanks comparing part numbers against owners with 70 ltr tanks I'm not sure how you could really tell.

Extract from article-
The weight of the Euro 6 engine’s 13-litre AdBlue tank, has been offset by dropping the fuel tank size from 80 litres to 70 litres, though an 80-litre tank can still be had as an option. Given that the Euro 6 engines promise up to a 15% improvement in fuel consumption, the smaller tank shouldn’t cause a major drop in overall range.

Possibly get a good 80ltr tank from a T5 van that's been broken for parts.

Various online spares suppliers, such as 247spares.

If not into DIY you could try a local garage .

Also depends on how you fill the tank. If you stop filling when the pump cuts out you can get another 3 or 4 litres in if you withdraw the nozzle a bit and slowly put more fuel in. Sometimes diesel fuel foams up when being pumped, when the pump cut out occurs wait a few seconds for the foam to dissipate, then continue filling.
This is a very selfish view for a road user. Overfilling cars and trucks can result in diesel spills on the road, usually on corners and roundabouts. This makes it treacherous for anyone on two wheels (and some on four) in the wet. Not the greatest advice which will get you another 20 or so miles between fill ups!

Last edited:
Back