Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A confession

Euge

Euge

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Took delivery of a sparesafe today from the shop. It came with fitting instructions which everything vw had kindly added.
All looked fairly simple to me so out I went, man on a mission, to perform what I thought would be a two minute job.
I must have spent ten minutes scratching my head trying to work out how the thing was any safer than the existing fixings.
After all, the long bolt which came with the sparesafe had exactly the same head in it as the original bolts holding the spare on, so how would that stop anyone armed with a wheel brace.
Eventually I put a call into the number on the Trilock box it arrived in.
What’s this locking nut with three pins in it ? says I.
That’s the key says the guy on the other end of the phone.
But it doesn’t fit the head on the long bolt, says I.
Have you removed the cover from the bolt head, says he.
Erm.................

As a footnote, I noticed today some facker had already nicked the wheel brace, but luckily not the wheel. Either that or it fell out of its bracket.
All’s well that ends well as they say.

Where did you think the wheel brace was nicked from , on an SE / ocean its with the jack behind the seat. Whats the bracket you refer to?

Last edited:
I assumed the spanner stored by the spare wheel was the brace, sounds like it’s there purely to remove the spare.
That’s the one that’s gone walkies.
Guess I need to spend more time working my way through the manual.

There isn't a spanner stored by the spare......

And it does now look like that’s the main wheel brace for the vehical as the jack is kept in a compartment over the rear near side wheel and there’s no spanner in there, just a first aid kit and warning triangle.
Do you guys own a 17 reg beach ?
If not I’d be interested to hear from anyone that does, to confirm there isn’t an additional brace/tool kit somewhere.

I appreciate I’ve painted a picture of myself as a bit of a dim with my initial post.
But I think even I haven’t got this wrong.

View attachment 28089
There should be a tool to undo the bolts in the tool kit with the jack.
The spate safe stops someone undoing the locking bolt with grips by limiting access to all but the bolt head.
I also have a steel rope lock around the spare.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And it does now look like that’s the main wheel brace for the vehical as the jack is kept in a compartment over the rear near side wheel and there’s no spanner in there, just a first aid kit and warning triangle.
Do you guys own a 17 reg beach ?
If not I’d be interested to hear from anyone that does, to confirm there isn’t an additional brace/tool kit somewhere.
I have a 17 plate Beach. The only thing stored under the vehicle is the spare wheel. No tools.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.
All very bizarre then.
The handbook shows a spanner located by the spare and unless I’m losing my marbles I saw it there a week or so ago.
There’s definitely no spanner/tool/brace where the jack is located and no tool kit.

Thanks for the replies.
All very bizarre then.
The handbook shows a spanner located by the spare and unless I’m losing my marbles I saw it there a week or so ago.
There’s definitely no spanner/tool/brace where the jack is located and no tool kit.
The box spanner should be with the Tool Kit. The picture shows where to insert the spanner to lift the Spare Wheel Carrier into position.

Thanks for the replies.
All very bizarre then.
If you saw the box spanner in the carrier, as in fig 227 in the manual (your picture above) and you've been driving since, chances are it's fallen off and is in a gutter somewhere.

Thanks for the replies.
There’s definitely no spanner with the jack but thanks to all the helpful replies and by taking the time to read the manual and not just look at the picture, I now realise it hasn’t been my finest 24 hrs.
I’m even more of a numpty than I thought :headbang

Thanks for the replies.
There’s definitely no spanner with the jack but thanks to all the helpful replies and by taking the time to read the manual and not just look at the picture, I now realise it hasn’t been my finest 24 hrs.
I’m even more of a numpty than I thought :headbang
Think we've all done similar!

Think we've all done similar!

But probably not shared it on a forum...

Hey ho, I still remember getting a rollicking off my dear old man, God rest his soul, for a school report that said I needed to stop trying to be the class comedian.
After all these years it seems like I’m still on a mission to make people laugh:confused:

Hi

I bought a spare safe at the shop open day. Friends and neighbours who I’ve tried to rope in are baffled. Now am tempting nephew to do at weekend. He’s had a look and worked out quite quickly about the cover. This post will help us both so thank you. Will be upset if someone pinches my wheel whilst spare save is it’s box....

Hi

I bought a spare safe at the shop open day. Friends and neighbours who I’ve tried to rope in are baffled. Now am tempting nephew to do at weekend. He’s had a look and worked out quite quickly about the cover. This post will help us both so thank you. Will be upset if someone pinches my wheel whilst spare save is it’s box....

It’s funny, although I’d heard about wheel thefts it didn’t overconcern me and took me a few weeks to order the safe.
But no sooner had the delivery driver jumped back in his van, i was out in the street, trying to fit the thing, almost as if the wheel had suddenly become more at risk because I had possession of the safe but hadn’t fitted it.
Human nature maybe.
Thanks for admitting I’m not the only one who had an issue with the cover.
Given I’ve shared the whole experience on the net, the Mrs is gleefully telling our friends about
“Capgate”

Given I’ve shared the whole experience on the net, the Mrs is gleefully telling our friends about
“Capgate”

Perhaps she could sign up with her own account and disagree with post number 14 :veryfunny

I habve no idea whether my Cali is fitted with a Sparesafe or even whether the spare is still there! Can't get down on the ground to look under the van, better press my grandson into service!

Agree that pressing grandsons and nephews is the way forward. My nephew, a genius with mechanical things, came today and fitted the spare safe in minutes. Also showed me how to get the toolkit out. He seems to think it's important I know stuff. I've explained that it's the AA who need to know not me but he seems to think that I can do it myself. He checked my oil and stuff too whilst I swapped over to my winter cushions and blankets. Not sure I'm flying the feminist flag sufficiently but alls good for trip to Wales next week and trip to France for Christmas

I was only chatting last week to my grandson last week about about making sure things like oil and tire pressures etc are regular checked on his car
Why would I do that came the reply,the on board computer would tell me what needs checking........:headbang

Back