Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A tip for driving in France

ToulonTom

ToulonTom

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The 2 screw heads on the wiper arms are perfect markers for me to line up and confirm my position in my lane - they line up perfectly with the centre line (left) and the gutter (right) when I am in the middle of my lane and give me a good gauge as to how far I can move over in the face of an impending collision with a juggernaut or emergency vehicle before kerbing the wheels or falling off the edge!
To make it easier to see I stuck a couple of little tabs of orange onto them - see photo.
I've lived (and driven) in France for 2 years now, but I still found this a great way to quickly asses your position on the road when driving on the unfamiliar side, especially on some of the more narrow roads of Corsica.
IMG_7161.JPG

What happens when it rains? You zig zag? :D

Sorry about that, couldn't resist. Good tip :thumb

PS are those steps painted on the wall, or are they real?

Nice again motacyclist, that's 2 posts I just read sat on my own in a busy fayre n square laughing to myself like a loony.

Just returned to our house in SW France near Bergerac, after a 6 week tour, ferry port Toulon, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, mainland Italy (east coast) Provence back to Bergerac 3600 miles

John

John, your signature mentions LHD to RHD headlights - may I ask what they are?

Last time I drove in France (not in a Cali) I bought stick-on deflectors. While queuing for the ferry I was puzzling over where to position them and asked other travellers in the queue for advice. They all said they never bothered with them, so I left them off!

I'm going in the Cali next month, and I would prefer to be compliant :happy

The easiest way I think, is to buy the headlight protectors from VW, at £40 last year. These come with two shaped black stickers and markings on the plexi-glass for placement.

Then it is a simple task to clip them on before you leave the UK. All the dazzling parts of our beams are then blocked, and will be ready for your next european trip.

The pack of official VW conversion stickers were £30 at the time, so it seemed to be a good deal to me.

Alan

John, your signature mentions LHD to RHD headlights - may I ask what they are?

Last time I drove in France (not in a Cali) I bought stick-on deflectors. While queuing for the ferry I was puzzling over where to position them and asked other travellers in the queue for advice. They all said they never bothered with them, so I left them off!

I'm going in the Cali next month, and I would prefer to be compliant :happy

Vanstyle, Blidworth near Mansfield

A comment from another forum regarding headlamp deflectors:

You don't need them.

You'll only be breaking the law if your headlights are dazzling other drivers, same as at home.

By international agreement, if your vehicle is legal in your home country, then it remains legal while visiting another country.
The headlight deflector thing is just a myth, and makes some people in this country a lot of money.

A comment from another forum regarding headlamp deflectors:

You don't need them.

You'll only be breaking the law if your headlights are dazzling other drivers, same as at home.

By international agreement, if your vehicle is legal in your home country, then it remains legal while visiting another country.
The headlight deflector thing is just a myth, and makes some people in this country a lot of money.

Try telling that to the gendarmere who stopped me last week, english plate no deflectors lets stop him, but he didn,t realise i had switching headlights.LHD to RHD.

John

I use the Headlamp protectors anyway as I had an expensive headlight on another vehicle holed by a flying stone. Mine came with the markings and stick on shapes which can be re-used.

Hi John. Like the idea.
I'm in St Jean de Luz at the moment, heading north, and am in need of a rear coil spring. Any ideas of somewhere up the west of France that may stock and be able to do the job (I only have basic tools with me).
Brian

Hi John. Like the idea.
I'm in St Jean de Luz at the moment, heading north, and am in need of a rear coil spring. Any ideas of somewhere up the west of France that may stock and be able to do the job (I only have basic tools with me).
Brian

Only thing i can suggest is go to a local VW dealer, in France they deal with cars and commercial vehicles at same outlet, and try them.
I have had 3 rear springs fail on my cali, also had them fail on T4

Back