Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Absolute Newbie

luvgonzo

luvgonzo

Vehicle
Just browsing
So I decided I wanted a Cali, I've always wanted this type of vehicle but sometimes life (and kids) gets in the way. So I'm a little older now and would really love to get one.

So I want to really do my homework before making quite a big decision and thought this would be a good place to start.

The way I want to use the vehicle is to travel around the UK and Europe mixing up staying in the van with the occasional hotel stay. I imagine that staying in this type of vehicle for weeks on end isn't the best of ideas?

Bit of honesty now, I hate camping and don't like motor homes, so my family now think I'm barking mad. I just don't see the Cali as a motor home, it just seems easier and more relaxed.

It's the vehicle easy to use for a new person, is converting it to sleep mode easy, do I have to be a practical person to put the roof up and awning out? Am I making a big mistake?

If you hate camping and motorhomes @luvgonzo i’m not sure a Cali is for you? After all, on your trips you’ll either stay on campsites or you’ll wild camp - it’s camping! OK it’s not a tent and a Cali is easier to drive/park etc than a large motorhome but it’s designed for camping - it’s a campervan.
Why don’t you hire one for a few days and give it a try. That will give you a better idea of whether it’s for you.
Prepare to get hooked :)

So I decided I wanted a Cali, I've always wanted this type of vehicle but sometimes life (and kids) gets in the way. So I'm a little older now and would really love to get one.

So I want to really do my homework before making quite a big decision and thought this would be a good place to start.

The way I want to use the vehicle is to travel around the UK and Europe mixing up staying in the van with the occasional hotel stay. I imagine that staying in this type of vehicle for weeks on end isn't the best of ideas?

Bit of honesty now, I hate camping and don't like motor homes, so my family now think I'm barking mad. I just don't see the Cali as a motor home, it just seems easier and more relaxed.

It's the vehicle easy to use for a new person, is converting it to sleep mode easy, do I have to be a practical person to put the roof up and awning out? Am I making a big mistake?

Exactly how I started off.

However in the end I dismissed hotels, much more fun in the camper and much more relaxed. I originally thought that 4 nights in the van maximum would be my limit, next week I set off on a 56 day trip!

The vehicle is beautiful to drive. Parking up, if an ocean, then just lean on a button for about 30 seconds and the roof is up. Nothing to think about.

Sleeping can be either downstairs or up. Up means no packing everything away, down means no clambering up to get into bed. Ut takes me about 5 minutes to sort out the downstairs so I can pull the bed out and then another three minutes making the bed itself. In the morning the bed gets stowed away quicker than it takes the kettle to boil.

Why do you hate camping? The term covers such a broad spectrum, from parking up at the side of the road and having to be totally self-sufficient, parking up in the car park of an amiable pub owner and spending a pleasant evening eating and drinking, to a full facilities camp site, 18+ only, with everything including loo's and showers within a few steps.

I got mine as a solution to having a large vehicle for multiple trips to and from Normandy, normally 6 or 7 trips per year. it was also to solve having a few day trips out with the ability to stop off for a night or two.
the Cali has proven ideal for my use. Second car in UK & only car/transport whilst in France
Having come through the tent, frame tent, trailer tent, caravan and motorhome route then a holiday home (still have).
I, like you, wouldn't like to spend prolonged stays in it. Obviously many do.

I'd say for what you want it would be ideal as they eat up the miles on long trips, park anywhere a car can, give a good view when travelling due to high seated position. If an Ocean selected onboard fridge provides food & drink storage with the ability to boil up a hot drink or cook a meal also available.
Onboard heater keeps you warm if parked up during the off season months and overnight.

Depreciation has proven to be very low over time.

Exactly how I started off.

However in the end I dismissed hotels, much more fun in the camper and much more relaxed. I originally thought that 4 nights in the van maximum would be my limit, next week I set off on a 56 day trip!

The vehicle is beautiful to drive. Parking up, if an ocean, then just lean on a button for about 30 seconds and the roof is up. Nothing to think about.

Sleeping can be either downstairs or up. Up means no packing everything away, down means no clambering up to get into bed. Ut takes me about 5 minutes to sort out the downstairs so I can pull the bed out and then another three minutes making the bed itself. In the morning the bed gets stowed away quicker than it takes the kettle to boil.

Why do you hate camping? The term covers such a broad spectrum, from parking up at the side of the road and having to be totally self-sufficient, parking up in the car park of an amiable pub owner and spending a pleasant evening eating and drinking, to a full facilities camp site, 18+ only, with everything including loo's and showers within a few steps.
When I say camping I mean in a tent.

If you hate camping and motorhomes @luvgonzo i’m not sure a Cali is for you? After all, on your trips you’ll either stay on campsites or you’ll wild camp - it’s camping! OK it’s not a tent and a Cali is easier to drive/park etc than a large motorhome but it’s designed for camping - it’s a campervan.
Why don’t you hire one for a few days and give it a try. That will give you a better idea of whether it’s for you.
Prepare to get hooked :)
Yes thinking of hiring before I buy.

So the camping thing, I don't like the tents, can't put them up and find then uncomfortable and you need to take a million things with you to make it bearable. To me the Cali has everything I need stored easily and is a lot more comfortable. I've nothing against the camping sites and sitting around outside I love.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've watched some videos and can't see how you get up to the top bed.

I also have a small dog, anyone take pets with them?

When I say camping I mean in a tent.

I slept for years in a tent....

From sunny brow farm in the Lake District when the river decided to change course and go through my mountain tent ...

To hanging on for dear life at basecamp 5 on Annapurna, or even worse on Cerro Torre in Patagonia..

It's why I love my California, totally frigging decadent but can still get you to the places motorhomes and caravans cannot reach. The good news though is the wine cellar and beer cooler is totally accessible with the lower bed down. Lean back, heater on, music playing, wine accessible and who cares about the toothpaste tasting of old lava flow.

I slept for years in a tent....

From sunny brow farm in the Lake District when the river decided to change course and go through my mountain tent ...

To hanging on for dear life at basecamp 5 on Annapurna, or even worse on Cerro Torre in Patagonia..

It's why I love my California, totally frigging decadent but can still get you to the places motorhomes and caravans cannot reach. The good news though is the wine cellar and beer cooler is totally accessible with the lower bed down. Lean back, heater on, music playing, wine accessible and who cares about the toothpaste tasting of old lava flow.
That last paragraph sounds ideal to me.

If you have any questions or queries this is the place to come. A lot of the time doing a search first will get you the answer you want, the site contains a wealth of knowledge and experience, but after that ask away. Hope you do try hiring as I'm sure you will enjoy both a cali and also camping in a cali.

That last paragraph sounds ideal to me.

My best nights have been somewhere where the rest of humanity has chosen to avoid ....

Then I move everything around, get out the irritating table, put it back because I need my portaloo, get it out again because I need to eat, scrabble underneath it because the cupboard holding what I need to eat is underneath the table, finally get on the need to eat swearing never again would I live in a camper van, then I remember where I am, the rest of humanity has gone away, it's all my space, everything, the night sky belongs to me, the birds that sing belong to me, the air I breathe belongs to me, the wine I drink.. well not sharing that with anyone...

then everything is cleared away, especially the table, the music is playing, the hugely massive and effective heater is keeping me warm, my safe environment, a tank, is enclosing me, I'm in love...

Then it's all broken, I have to drive back to civilisation, I am giving a talk, after dinner, in a posh hotel, room paid for. I eat, drink possibly too much, babble on, go to bed, listen to next door's television, get shaken awake by people walking past my door, itch like mad because I'm in someone else's bed, can't get the air-con right, shiver and boil in cycles, go down stairs to be greeted by the morning hades of the refuelling trough called buffet breakfast ...... go back to my Cali and start him up thinking "thanks pal" and head off to where it's only me and my pal.

Watch out. It may happen to you.

:welcome
I hate camping too, on the cold wet ground, everything damp, can't get warm ughh.
I love my camper van though, cosy, warm and dry, a little safe haven and the heater is amazing. There's nothing better than relaxing downstairs, kids asleep up top, the bed is set up, pyjamas on, wine and a book, I fall to sleep about by 9pm!! I love the sound of people chatting and laughing around campfires while I nod off too :)

I don't like the campsite shared toilets and showers though, but just have to suck it up, they are however a lot cleaner since Covid struck.

I think you'll love a campervan :)

Your asking the wrong questions on a forum that loves campervans especially calis. Only you can answer your own question on this occasion. Now me...love my van and been snow boarding in it to europe the orkneys etc I'm in it now typing this in the lakes. Goodluck in your decision. Maybe a pic or 2 I took will help you decide

IMG_20200221_153452.jpg

20200806_091105.jpg

So thanks everyone. How to I get into the roof bed?

Are there restaurants/pubs that let you park up there overnight if you go in to eat and drink?

Anyone take dogs with them?

You can get a small ladder, some folk just use a step up depending how agile you are and there are some videos on line showing you how to do it.

And yes

And yes.

So thanks everyone. How to I get into the roof bed?

Are there restaurants/pubs that let you park up there overnight if you go in to eat and drink?

Anyone take dogs with them?
1: You wriggle, writhe, squirm up using a seat or use one of the many folding ladders available.

2: Almost any establishment with a car park. The beauty of a Cali, you are driving a car not a bus to sleep in.

3: Max is coming with me for the whole 56 day trip.

You can get a small ladder, some folk just use a step up depending how agile you are and there are some videos on line showing you how to do it.

And yes

And yes.
Easy
Yes
Yes

The Cali is an adventure vehicle, it can be used for pretty much anything.
You will see posts on here from people who full time van life, week skiing, summer trips to Europe, or a day picnic in the new forest, kids school run (taxi), to the local dump run.

Great vehicle but I would say to anyone to go hire one first as they are so expensive!!!!

Can't thank you all enough some great advice and you're a friendly bunch. I'll probably keep posting things that pop into my head as I go along if that's okay?

Can't thank you all enough some great advice and you're a friendly bunch. I'll probably keep posting things that pop into my head as I go along if that's okay?

Of course its' ok, most of us have been where you are sometime in our lives :)

Last edited:
Click on pic to see rope ladder

So clean driving licence and been driving 25+ years what should I be looking at for insurance, roughly of course?

Back