Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Absolute Newbie

So I know roughly what I need to take, wine, beer, food, pots pans, pillows etc but what as newbie be the one thing I don't think about taking?

So I know roughly what I need to take, wine, beer, food, pots pans, pillows etc but what as newbie be the one thing I don't think about taking?
I think one of the most forgotten item on peoples travel list is a toothbrush and tooth paste.
Just do a local night away or two and you can just pop back :thumb

phone charger, reading glasses, loose change for parking, head torch can be useful on some sites. If you’re worried do a night local or sleep on your drive.

Hi everyone. I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for. I personally hate caravans as I lived in one in Australia for a while before I got permanent accommodation.. But I love campers. I suppose that sounds a bit odd as most caravans are absolute luxury nowadays. Buying a California needs much thought and consideration mainly because of the high price. Some of us are lucky and bought one a few years ago and are in the very fortunate position of having an appreciating asset unlike 99% of vehicles. Obviously with what’s happened over the last year many more people are looking at buying a camper/motorhome. It’s holidays on British campsites ⛺️ for me and the Mrs for the foreseeable I think. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Been to VW place today and had a look at the Beach. Really nice.
If you are thinking Beach, make sure you spec the parking heater (that's the one that keeps you tasty at night a la Granny Jen). But plenty of threads here about the Beach.

And if you're looking a videos, check out California Chris on YouTube - he's got a video about EVERYTHING Cali!

So thanks everyone. How to I get into the roof bed?

Are there restaurants/pubs that let you park up there overnight if you go in to eat and drink?

Anyone take dogs with them?
Getting up into the pop up is easy.

1. Make sure the front chairs are turned round to the rear and locked into rear-facing position (not rotating)

2. Stand on passenger seat (which is further to the front than the drivers seat because of the steering wheel)

3. Face towards the upper bed and put your left foot on the top of the drivers seat

4. Lift yourself up on left leg and climb onto bed with your right leg/knee

5. Reverse procedure for descending in the morning

We prefer to sleep with feet towards the end of the pop up bed and head towards the front - less claustrophobic

Simples.

Back