Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello! New Cali owner - scary places to drive?

I’m from near Hardknott, been over regularly in various vehicles in all weathers (fell running, MTB etc), including my first van a 208D. Not worried about getting over in the Cali, more about the other drivers.

Had a fright climbing on a road bike following a car that stalled and lurched backwards downhill, barely got out of the way in time

Right from the off, one question I immediately ask myself before every journey is 'shall I use Waze?'
Waze is great and free but if you're in the countryside it will often take you the shortest possible route which could be down the narrowest road you've ever seen up the steepest hill. I use it a lot, but now occasionally use Google instead.

On a different tack, learn how to fit the front tow loop. Quite near the start of my Cali ownership, we camped at a site down at the bottom of two fields. When time to leave after 2 days of rain, our friends had real trouble getting up the fields in their cars. Our van got stuck in 20 feet. The site owner had a big 4 wheel giant tractor that he was dying to use. Unfortunately, we couldn't work out how to fit the front tow ring. So he towed me up the hill backwards at great speed. He occasionally lost traction as well, so we were dragged all over the place, clipping tents on our way. I really remember when I came to rest at the top. I was just happy to be alive and not to have killed anyone else!

Last edited:
Right from the off, one question I immediately ask myself before every journey is 'shall I use Waze?'
Waze is great and free but if you're in the countryside it will often take you the shortest possible route which could be down the narrowest road you've ever seen up the steepest hill. I use it a lot, but now occasionally use Google instead.

On a different tack, learn how to fit the front tow loop. Quite near the start of my Cali ownership, we camped at a site down at the bottom of two fields. When time to leave after 2 days of rain, our friends had real trouble getting up the fields in their cars. Our van got stuck in 20 feet. The site owner had a big 4 wheel giant tractor that he was dying to use. Unfortunately, we couldn't work out how to fit the front tow ring. So he towed me up the hill backwards at great speed. He occasionally lost traction as well, so we were dragged all over the place, clipping tents on our way. I really remember when I came to rest at the top. I was just happy to be allive and not to have killed anyone else!
Good plan. It's a reverse thread so screws in the opposite way to what you expect.

Cali isn't that different in size to most cars now but you need to allow for the mirrors.
They don't fold back if hit but get broken.

They’re really not that big. There are some nerve wracking moments in underground car parks where you’ve got under the 2.0m barrier but those pipes on the ceiling look very low…

Hadn’t had my (black) van long when I was on a narrow road and made a mess of the paint by brushing against roadside brambles
The dimensions of the VW Cali are almost identical to a modern medium/large sized car....just a bit taller. My tip is make sure that you have a rear view camera to enable you to get out of any tight spots.

The dimensions of the VW Cali are almost identical to a modern medium/large sized car....just a bit taller. My tip is make sure that you have a rear view camera to enable you to get out of any tight spots.
Still, I suspect for some new owners the first drives seem like this:
1637691231233.png

But after a few weeks it feels more like this:
1637691277122.png

Not having much luck here. Not sure how this works.
I have two questions which I have put up on some of your sites before. if anyone knows the answers
please let me know.
I have the very grand California 600. What does the second battery do and does it charge up from the panel over the driver…all the time….only when the engine is running…or the ignition is on…or some switch I have not found yet. And what’s it there for? Can I leave the Main charging lead in when I leave the garaged van for 1 month?
Jon lane

Not having much luck here. Not sure how this works.
I have two questions which I have put up on some of your sites before. if anyone knows the answers
please let me know.
I have the very grand California 600. What does the second battery do and does it charge up from the panel over the driver…all the time….only when the engine is running…or the ignition is on…or some switch I have not found yet. And what’s it there for? Can I leave the Main charging lead in when I leave the garaged van for 1 month?
Jon lane
Hi Jonathan. I see you are a VIP member but this is your first post (under this forum account anyway).

You'd be best to post your question as a new thread in the appropriate forum section, or maybe add to an existing relevant thread about batteries (there will be loads if you use the search function - and that might in any case answer your question).

Meanwhile, short answer (and not Cali 600-specific, someone will correct me if I'm wrong for that model) - Calis have two batteries: (1) the main starter/engine battery that powers all the normal base van functions; and (2) the leisure battery that powers all the lights and gadgets in the camper area.

When you plug into external hookup - at home or on a campsite - the leisure battery will be fully topped up first, then the starter/engine battery starts to trickle-charge. No switches to press, just plug in and the vehicle software will control it all. The ignition does not need to be on. You can leave it plugged in as long as you want, you can't overcharge the batteries and it will keep them conditioned.

When driving the alternator charges the starter/engine battery (of course) but once that is fully charged it will switch to charging the leisure battery - even though (on older vans like mine anyway) not above 80-90% full.

Hope that helps but as I said you'd be best to post your question again in a more appropriate forum section and hopefully someone can update the above in respect of the Grand Cali specifically.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, we took the plunge and are now the proud owners of Mungo, the two-tone bay-leaf green 4motion. I’ve learnt so much reading this forum for months and watching all the inspiring YouTube videos. I’m currently taking my time to get to know the Cali and getting confident with driving a large vehicle. As a newbie, I’m starting to plan trips and I’d love to what are the most scariest places in Britain (width, incline, terrain) which I should make a note to steer clear of.
The Cornish lanes can be a bit scary as so narrow (you probably know this though!) I think you can set your sat nav to larger roads but often the more remote locations they are the only route. The LED headlights (I think are on your van) make night driving super easy.
The more you drive it, the easier it will become.

Cali isn't that different in size to most cars now but you need to allow for the mirrors.
They don't fold back if hit but get broken.
Try the road beside Loch Awe where you meet huge timber lorries very narrow roads! Another one is the road to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse lots of blind summits on a very narrow road and few places to turnaround!

Easy peasy
Would I do it again, probably not. Me in the Cali behind. 4Motion with winter tyres. Mate in the Bongo struggled a bit. The scary bit is coming down, not up.
Stupid. What would you have done if you or your mate got stuck? The only rescue service that would have come to your aid in that situation is the Mountain Rescue. They are a volunteer group who would have risked their lives for your stupidity.
DONT DO THIS

bealach na ba in thick mist.

Bit like Russian roulette with big whites on it. Cannot see them and most cannot reverse to a passing place , so you tend to have to if you want to get to the other side
Character building !!

Hardknott pass in the lakes at eskdale. Some proper bad drivers on there and easy to scrape the van or ding a wheel on huge boulders jutting out into the road while you try make way for oncoming traffic who don't know what a passing place is for
That’s my fav drive in the van

Stupid. What would you have done if you or your mate got stuck? The only rescue service that would have come to your aid in that situation is the Mountain Rescue. They are a volunteer group who would have risked their lives for your stupidity.
DONT DO THIS
It's called having some fun. We have both driven many times in snowy conditions far worse than that. I you look at our avatar you can see what I mean.

Hardknott pass in the lakes at eskdale. Some proper bad drivers on there and easy to scrape the van or ding a wheel on huge boulders jutting out into the road while you try make way for oncoming traffic who don't know what a passing place is for
We were heading to the National Trust site at Boot my husband being a very keen cyclist was dropped of about half way from home. I continued on in our T6 (conversion) following the sat nav I noticed it wanted me to take the passes. I called my hubby who said your be fine it’s only a road . Well I made it to the other side took a while but I did it set the van up and set about sorting the evening meal. Then a T2 pulled up and out got my hubby his bike broke at the bottom of the start of the climb and he was going to have to walk it until the guy in the T2 turned up. First thing he want to know was how was that drive over there wow then said “didn’t know it was going to be like that. You did well getting over that“. I have done it again since then on a clear mid week day it is stunning and that time Pete did manage to ride over it on his cycle.

Hi everyone, we took the plunge and are now the proud owners of Mungo, the two-tone bay-leaf green 4motion. I’ve learnt so much reading this forum for months and watching all the inspiring YouTube videos. I’m currently taking my time to get to know the Cali and getting confident with driving a large vehicle. As a newbie, I’m starting to plan trips and I’d love to what are the most scariest places in Britain (width, incline, terrain) which I should make a note to steer clear of.
Don't worry. It's no longer and wider than a big SUV eg Volvo 90, and the high driving position and short bonnet make it very easy to drive. Mine is my car too. Good idea to have a label in the cab with all dims set out, with and without bikes if appropriate for reference.

DONT DO THIS

A bit harsh.

Some people are very competent at driving over roads in those conditions, @briwy in particular, who frequently bounces over the Pyrenees in far worse conditions. Probably more idiots in perfect summer weather will cause an MRT called out than a competent driver traversing Hardknott and Wrynose in bad weather. Probably the worst that could happen is they both get stuck and have to spend the night there, marooned in a 5* camper, just like I was at Glenbrittle.

DONT DO THIS
Oh dear. Mr serious strikes again. Theres snow chains etc to use. I would think Getting stuck in snow in a california isn't life threatening. You wouldn't call mountain rescue while you sat with the heater on and a cup of tea

How about some of the “balcony roads” in the Vercors in France?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I drove a road very similar to this in 2018 after following a satnav short cut! Wish I hadn’t.
My wife, son and I were really scared and we couldn’t even see over the edge that well, as sitting low in a BMW 5 series touring. I can’t imagine the terror of being able to see over the edge when sitting high up in the Cali.

The French locals seem to have no fear. Luckily I wasn’t towing a caravan.

Back