Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Access to the roof beds.

Mines was on a debit card and bank says money will be in the account within 48 hours. Quite impressed actually.

Success at last!! Bought a 1.7 m telescopic ladder from Maplin. Possibly not the cheapest but is just the right height and is stable. Mrs mtber can now easily access the roof for an afternoon nap.
Thanks to all for the advice. :cool

If anyone is unfortunate enough to suffer from plantar fasciitis you will know how painful it can be to try and descend a ladder first thing in the morning in bare feet. I had to do this in a hurry one morning from our Defender and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. A pair of Crocs type slip-on sandals kept upstairs solves the problem and they're handy too with early morning dew on those chilly mornings! Oh, and I broke the plastic table leg extension by putting weight on the table before we bought our telescopic ladder :-( The previous owner of our Cali has removed the passenger armrests and I'll probably remove the driver ones too as they are worse than useless and spinning the seats is so much easier without them.

oldmtber said:
Success at last!! Bought a 1.7 m telescopic ladder from Maplin. Possibly not the cheapest but is just the right height and is stable. Mrs mtber can now easily access the roof for an afternoon nap.

Thanks for the advice :clap just ordered one, currently half price :D looking forward to it turning up

edwatters said:
Thanks for the advice :clap just ordered one, currently half price :D looking forward to it turning up

Me too, ordered one on Thu and should be here on Mon - all I need now is a camper van!

edwatters said:
oldmtber said:

You can also use code AWINDIS7 for an extra £3 off order of £30. You need to add something to order that makes it over £30. Found a resistor for £0.29p :)
Total cost £27.28 !

oldmtber said:

Bought one of these today Just incase the wife descides to come on a camping trip one day :eek:

I believe tommorrow is the last day of promotion.

Thanks Alan.

Mine turned up today. Very light and looks just the job.

I'm collecting the Cali tomorrow from SMG at Tonbridge. The excitement's building :D

I can't see a 'Like' Button. But I like this :)

I broke the armrest doing that, and it cost me £300! I've got a Fiamma 2-piece aluminium ladder which is perfect - rest the foot against the handbrake,and the top against the side of the bedroom hatch. during the day I shove it under the van until needed. When travelling, it breaks down and the two lengths just fit lengthwise behind the seats

BerndRos said:
Only have the drivers seat turned, step on that and then in a fluid motion take a light step on the passenger seat back squab and up you go.......[We bought a ladder but happened by accident to do your arrangement with seats and haven't used the ladder since. So worth a try before investing in a ladder and the ladder being one more thing to stow. Don’t think we did managed it with that fluid motion ; at our age and size it would be inappropriate ! /quote]

Hi all,
We are getting on in years, but we have no trouble getting into the roof, using the method described in the Cali handbook. Our trouble starts when we are up there! Do you sleep with your head to the lower end or the high end? If the high end it is better than watching TV , as Martin suggested, as we contort ourselves to a. Get in position, and b. get into a sleeping bag! And even more fun is to be had getting out for an early morning, or during night, call of nature! We have now decided to use the rock and roll bed, less fun!, but easier on the poor old joints!

First w/e away with the new Maplin ladder. Just the right size and works best if tilted over the drivers seat. Gives an easier angle and there is no risk of damaging the reading light.

Back