Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Access to the roof beds.

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We bought our first Cali recently; but my wife finds it impossible to climb up to the roof bunk without using the armrests. Has anyone else come across this issue and if so is there a simple solution without using bulky steps? :help

Hello and welcome.

We use a telescopic ladder in our rental vehicles;

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipm ... er-14-2280

It is great for getting into the top bed, and also using outside for putting things onto the roof rack etc. You can also buy it cheaper than the link, just need to search.

HTH :thumb

Only have the drivers seat turned, step on that and then in a fluid motion take a light step on the passenger seat back squab and up you go.......

After almost having a hernia laughing at Shani's attempts at getting up, we wen't down the telescopic ladder route. Fits neatly behind the passenger seat when travelling and under the van when not in use.

Tidy bit of kit. Mind you; there's not as many laughs!

Thanks everyone. I had thought of a bunk bed ladder but most are too short. Telescopic seems the way to go. :thanks

Glad to have been of assistance :thumb

We bought a telescopic ladder but it weighs a ton and we don't find it very convenient, so it's abandoned in the garage.

For us, the best way is to reverse the passenger seat , leave the driver seat as it is (useful as we have brandrup pockets on the back) and put an ikea step-stool on it, making a staircase from floor to passenger seat to ikea step, and from there it's an easy push up into the roof. Getting up and down this way became second nature during our long summer trip.

When not used as a step, the ikea step-stool can be turned upside down and used as an open-top crate, and the rubber step thereby becomes a high-friction base and prevents it from sliding, if you have it in the passenger compartment. Makes a quick and easy outside table for a cuppa, as well.

Anyone else here order from Grecian trading? Ordered a few weeks ago and nothing and no reply to emails. Called them last week and given a story about update emails going out and late deliveries but assured j wound have it in a couple of days. Still waiting.

If you meant Gtec trading I ordered a ladder. I also have rung the guy 3 times with differing stories from snow delays to " it will be delivered in a few days" to waiting for delivery from China. When I asked how come he is waiting for a delivery from China for a refurb ladder he said he was sending me a new one anyway. So he has an answer for everything.Emailed request for a refund with no response and called him on Tuesday again asking for a refund and again this has not happened. Now cancelling via credit card. The guy seems nice but his customer service is shocking. He had no answer for why his story kept changing. So avoid I would suggest.

Web site says 2 metre telescopic ladder is out of stock. But surely if out of stock he should not have taken payment.

I used to step on the armrest, until I broke it, and it cost me 300 quid to replace it! I now have a two-piece Fiamma aluminium ladder, which splits and stows away easily in the back loadspace (or under the van when you're static). You rest the top of the assembled ladder against the side of the roof opening, and brace the bottom against the handbrake. Works a treat.

Mine was in stock at time of payment 22 days ago. Thought it was to good to be true. Wish I had not posted the link. Should get cash back via credit card.

I ended up paying a bit more than can be seen on some websites but all cheap ones out of stock. A really good buy not heavy at all..just has a wicked slice yer fingers off action if you dont collapse it holding it properly! Lives in the boot along with other permanent gubbins like bucket and hook up lead and wellies and dog stuff and and and....

Yep, Gtec trading. As you say he sounds very pleasant but you feel as though you are getting told a fairy story. I paid by debit card so not sure we're I stand.

Awaiting delivery from China may be true because of Chinese New Year as the factories do not re open again until next week, but this is no excuse to take payment and keep them advertised as available, I personally would demand a refund, if they refuse just contact your card company to issue a chargeback against them.

Get along to Ikea where they have a three step wood stool that folds flat for storage.
Fits in the middle of the front seats and enables you to get up to the beds with ease. :thumb

andrew bazeley said:
I used to step on the armrest, until I broke it, and it cost me 300 quid to replace it! I now have a two-piece Fiamma aluminium ladder, which splits and stows away easily in the back loadspace (or under the van when you're static). You rest the top of the assembled ladder against the side of the roof opening, and brace the bottom against the handbrake. Works a treat.
Do you recall which model of ladder it is?

Hopefully getting a refund via my bank.

We have to wait 30 days before the credit card company will put in a dispute, and then hopefully we will get our money back.

Back