Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessibility of "upstairs" bed

Zygouk

Zygouk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,

I am considering getting a camper: in particular a California.
How does one access the "upstairs" bed? I am 80 and not very agile nowadays.
Also the design does not include for a toilet. How have members overcome this problem?
Regards,
Zygouk

Re: Accessibility of "upstairs" bedtime

It will fit under the sink if you raise the shelf in the cupboard. I can't bring myself to do this, but others have

I an 6' 5" and getting upstairs is a bit of a squeeze if there is someone else up there already. I stand on the seats of the front chairs to get up, definitely not the arms. Were I less flexible I would buy one of the telescopic ladders that a few Cali owners use.

I'd suggest you go to a dealer and give it a go. And if you plan to sleep alongside someone, take them along too as two of you up there is very different to being solo.

Thank you all for the replies. At my age I will definitely sleep downstairs! Visiting the Porta-Potty site I was surprised at the variety - even electric flush models. A visit to the nearest VW van dealer in Chelmsford will be the next step.
I will let you know my decision at a later date.
Once again thank you all for the responses.
Regards,
Zygouk

VW Chelmsford do not stock or sell Californias, pity because it must be one of biggest dealers in the country. :hello

Hi Zygouk, forgot to say, you are welcome to try our Cali which is just a year old. We are at Grt Tey just outside Colchester. Paul. :hello

Thank you all for the replies. At my age I will definitely sleep downstairs! Visiting the Porta-Potty site I was surprised at the variety - even electric flush models. A visit to the nearest VW van dealer in Chelmsford will be the next step.
I will let you know my decision at a later date.
Once again thank you all for the responses.
Regards,
Zygouk
Hi Zygout, yes one has to be very flexible when using the top bed, good luck with your choice of camper, and sleeping downstairs will be ok as long as you do not carry big supplies behind the downstairs seat.

Hi Zygout, yes one has to be very flexible when using the top bed, good luck with your choice of camper, and sleeping downstairs will be ok as long as you do not carry big supplies behind the downstairs seat.
You just resurrected a 7yr old thread :bananadance2