Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop roof bed & tall people

Argo&Liebe

Argo&Liebe

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello
Well our Cali is now 5 days old :bananadance ,yesterday I tested the roof bed and, being 195 cm tall, my feet kept touching the canvas.
Does anyone of you has the same "problem"?
I often read in this forum that is suitable not to touch the roof canvas when they are wet.
So you tall forum members, how do you do?

:thanks :smile

Re: Pop roof bed & tall people

Yes you are tall aren't you :lol:
I'm ONLY 1.83m tall (6' in old money) and i don't have a problem.
Touching the canvas isn't a good idea if it's raining - you need to invest in a roof cover.
There may be the odd post here and there about the subject!

I am 6'3" and I can only sleep in the roof alone as I have to sleep corner to corner!! I tend to sleep more downstairs as there is more room.

Mmm...the other bed is already occupied by the dogs :D
So I think it will be Mr. Cali Topper...?

Is there any scope to put some form of board over the hatch and get some more length that way?

I've been thinking along similar lines. Not for length as such but to stop me loosing my pillow in the middle of the night!

Californiaman said:
I've been thinking along similar lines. Not for length as such but to stop me loosing my pillow in the middle of the night!

Snap......!

A plank of wood going across is a good idea, would also make a handy shelf when the bed is not in use.

Californiaman said:

Snap......!

Lol me too!
Used to do it all the time seem to have got the hang of it now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

:laugh2 me and my daddy had the same thinking, about a sort of board for the pillow :mrgreen:

I'm 193cm tall. It's a little bit of hassle to put up the child safety net in the roof bed but once you are in, this stops the issue of losing the pillows and seems to also give a little bit of extra room for tall people.

:D

We also use the kids safety net (as our kids sleep up top) but you must be careful not to put too much weight on the net as you are climbing in. If you step/sit on the net, rather than over it, you can break the little clips which hold the net onto the roof. They are cheap enough to replace, just a nuisance to have to make a trip to the dealer for such a small item.

The net is excellent for holding pillows (and children) in place though.

Simon

Can't you slide the hatch shut to avoid losing your pillow? No need for a piece of wood

I read somewhere that the hatch could be closed to create 'two rooms' - hardly two rooms, but you can definitely section yourself off from the downstairs area.
Ian

You can but it is still a significant drop. I've also found myself with my head on my pillow* that is on the closed hatch cover - and you probably don't want to put that much weight on the hatch...

* - normally after quite a few beers...

Back