Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs or downstairs

A

Asprin

Older and wider
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just come back from camping in Graffham, our first trip in Colin. Planned on one night but extended it to two. This enabled us to experience upstairs for the first night and downstairs for the second.
Night one was very comfortable but had its drawbacks- I lost my pillow downstairs, that wasn't retrieved untill the toilet break together with the phone that slipped out of my hand while luminating the route. spent the rest of the night clinging onto the pillow. There were a total of three toilet breaks during the night (not all me) which required assistance on getting back upstairs. With practice this will become easier.
Night two downstairs. Although narrower than upstairs the bed is very comfortable with easy access to the Thetford 335 qube. The only issue we had was that we hadn't got the kettle, cups and teapot out the night before for our morning tea. This required 'Tetris' style movements to retrieve said items from the bottom cupboard, shattering the silence of the morning.

So our preference is downstairs: what's yours?

Just come back from camping in Graffham, our first trip in Colin. Planned on one night but extended it to two. This enabled us to experience upstairs for the first night and downstairs for the second.
Night one was very comfortable but had its drawbacks- I lost my pillow downstairs, that wasn't retrieved untill the toilet break together with the phone that slipped out of my hand while luminating the route. spent the rest of the night clinging onto the pillow. There were a total of three toilet breaks during the night (not all me) which required assistance on getting back upstairs. With practice this will become easier.
Night two downstairs. Although narrower than upstairs the bed is very comfortable with easy access to the Thetford 335 qube. The only issue we had was that we hadn't got the kettle, cups and teapot out the night before for our morning tea. This required 'Tetris' style movements to retrieve said items from the bottom cupboard, shattering the silence of the morning.

So our preference is downstairs: what's yours?
Downstairs, but get kettle etc: out for the morning.:thumb

Upstairs unless it's blowing a complete hooley....

Upstairs, and I pull the retractable cover out a little to stop the pillow falling out and also put my phone etc on top of the slide out panel

We've only stayed downstairs so far, but indeed does require forward planning!!

It would be interesting to know if those who always sleep upstairs are of retirement age or greater?

It would be interesting to know if those who always sleep upstairs are of retirement age or greater?

I am so far beyond retirement age that only an historian would remember me retiring!:shocked

I sleep 50-50.

My main worry about sleeping upstairs is night cramps, my calf muscles, the sheer stress that I put them through and the need to get foot on floor ASAP. The gymnastics required is a real worry.

However when I do not have my dogs in the van then it's sleep downstairs.

It may not be very romantic but I sleep upstairs and Mrs Annik is downstairs. Works perfectly for us.

It may not be very romantic but I sleep upstairs and Mrs Annik is downstairs. Works perfectly for us.
It's ok, so do HRH and Prince Phillip, well not upstairs/downstairs but you know what I mean.

I downstairs and my lady in the attic ... everyone comfortable comfortable .... we are both over 60 ....... but sporty ...

Downstairs you can then stay in bed and make a coffee. Bliss.
Can't do that at home .

No, no, you can make coffee with your wife and stay in bed .... !! Even at home !!

Our Porta Potti is always ready !!
We bought the big electric one, a wonder .... hahaha

Thanks I guess one gets it out ready to use before making bed up and of course the kettle tea bags and cups ready for early morning cupa
All I need is the aux heater remote push a button 5 mins before I get out of bed to make tea LOL

[QUOTE="

So our preference is downstairs: what's yours?[/QUOTE]
For me, upstairs. Comfy enough and less of a faff. For the Mrs, downstairs. So, downstairs it is.......

Definitely upstairs ,more comfortable with our comfortz replacement mattress /zone sleeper.
The dogs sleep on the rear bench.
I'm retired . Husband soon to be :thumb

When we are four, the "children" sleep upstairs and we are downstairs. That way we can bundle them off to bed before we sort out the downstairs bed. Otherwise we would be upstairs because it involves less reorganisation.

By "children" I mean our 13 year old daughter who has no trouble at all getting upstairs, only getting up in the morning, and our 23 year old daughter who has severe mobility difficulties - she gets around in a wheelchair.

Which leads to the other advantage of bundling them upstairs.... We can get up early without disturbing them.

Upstairs as first choice. It allows us to leave downstairs as the living area and means I can get up first and get the tea on in the morning!
Also means the porta potty can be left ready for action downstairs.

We sleep upstairs. It does take a bit of getting used to the cosy space as we have a six foot bed at home. It feels like a camping adventure up top. I like being able to open the vents and have a good look around. You are often at tree level. Also, when it is warm it does give an air flow. It is cold in the winter but we leave the heater on and we now have an isotop and a topper so I hope that will help. We have a pillow catcher which came with the van and it works well but is a bit of a faff to clip on but worth it for not having to retrieve fallen pillows.
It is noisier upstairs from traffic noise, early rising neighbours, neighbouring televisions with the volume turned up super high etc. I have some earplugs tucked away just in case. We are still of working age.