Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs or downstairs

Upstairs, and I pull the retractable cover out a little to stop the pillow falling out and also put my phone etc on top of the slide out panel
That's what we do. We got one of those nets with the van but what a faff that was! It's now in the loft gathering dust. As with a lot of folk, we prefer upstairs in anything except cold, cold winter or gales. Downstairs is super cosy in the winter, but you do have to be tidier and more organised for the early morning cuppa.

Does anyone use the safety net upstairs to stop pillows flying out downstairs? Is it a pain? Just never seem to see it mentioned...
Yes we use the net when upstairs to stop pillows falling etc. You can set it up and only unclip the forward two clips for access and leave in situ. We also have an extendable ladder to assist with getting up and more importantly getting down in the morning when you are feeling particularly creeky.

Upstairs is wider although noisier! Use the cargo net when we take Grandaughter- may try because of the pillow scenario! Leave mobile phone in the little ridge with water bottle. We do plan to get a ladder though.. looks a good option as I did smack my head and knock when climbing back in at 3am!
We'd sleep Downstairs if too cold but then need to be organised! Want to buy the roof top cover..

We sleep upstairs with our heads at the sharp end. Very much easier for night time visits. My husband is 70 and climbs up no problem.

We always sleep upstairs unless the weather is really bad as it gets so noisy up there.
The bed is wider than downstairs and it keeps the van tidier.
Downsides as described by others, if you like a lie in as we do as night owls, then it can be noisy in the mornings as you hear everything going on around you. And despite the lovely weather we've having in Annecy at the moment it's been pretty cold at night up there, so I've had my hoody on a couple of nights.

I used to lose my pillow occasionally in the early days, but I must've got used to it as it hasn't happened for 8 years and I've never taken precautions to stop it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We always sleep upstairs, unless it's very windy or we're stealth camping.
Have never had a problem with the pillows falling down. No problem getting up there either - easier if you only turn the passenger seat.
I leave my phone etc on the little shelf that runs round inside the roof.
Before going to bed I fill a flask with boiling water, & leave out a tea bag, 2 cups & some milk - in the morning I can reach down & pick up the flask & put the teabag in it, tea then brews while we wake up.

We like both up- and downstairs: Always lift the roof. Downstairs it feels so roomy and upstairs we enjoy the view.

We sleep upstairs, the dogs sleep downstairs, either on the seat/rear space or if it's very cold they share the pulled out bed and body heat :) I think if my partner goes alone with one dog, she often sleeps downstairs as it's warmer. Never lost a pillow yet! And we are slowly remembering to take a dog biscuit upstairs to chuck at the younger dog when he wakes up hungry and we left the biscuits in the cupboard :)

It would be interesting to know if those who always sleep upstairs are of retirement age or greater?

Wife (72) and I (76) choose to sleep upstairs. It saves an awful lot of tidying up downstairs in the evening.

On a few occasions when I've been on my own in foul weather I've stayed downstairs and so not needed to put the roof up.

We mostly sleep upstaires , funny as now just we folded the seat flat to make it more cosy downstaires.
The only thing i regret when away in the Cali is not to get all cuddly with my dog on the sofa like at home.
Now we are using the downstaires bed for it , could be one of us stays below tonight with the dog ....:D

Just come back from camping in Graffham, our first trip in Colin. Planned on one night but extended it to two. This enabled us to experience upstairs for the first night and downstairs for the second.
Night one was very comfortable but had its drawbacks- I lost my pillow downstairs, that wasn't retrieved untill the toilet break together with the phone that slipped out of my hand while luminating the route. spent the rest of the night clinging onto the pillow. There were a total of three toilet breaks during the night (not all me) which required assistance on getting back upstairs. With practice this will become easier.
Night two downstairs. Although narrower than upstairs the bed is very comfortable with easy access to the Thetford 335 qube. The only issue we had was that we hadn't got the kettle, cups and teapot out the night before for our morning tea. This required 'Tetris' style movements to retrieve said items from the bottom cupboard, shattering the silence of the morning.

So our preference is downstairs: what's yours?
Upstairs, without hesitation!

Upstairs everytime, in fact we have only used the downstairs bed twice in six years for sleeping. ( It has however been very useful for moving furniture )
We sleep heads to the back and use a
collapsible ladder for ease of access.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

75% downstairs, 25% upstairs. Fear of night cramps in my legs and the need to be standing on a firm surface quickly often restrict my use of upstairs.

Upstairs for us every time. Nearly went downstairs a couple of nights ago due to sound of dogs in the mountains but a couple of sets of ear plugs sorted that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Upstairs for us every time. Nearly went downstairs a couple of nights ago due to sound of dogs in the mountains but a couple of sets of ear plugs sorted that.

Was it cold up there?

Nope In the Sierra Nevada, Southern Spain. Toastie and just right in the night 14c

Nope In the Sierra Nevada, Southern Spain. Toastie and just right in the night 14c

Oh nice one the only reason I ask is I'm off to Belgium in November and we hate sleeping downstairs but expect it to be far too cold to sleep up top in november

Funny as on the Champagne meet we where convincing someone that told us they always sleep downstaires that they should go up top .
The next mornig they said they actually sleep up top but the next night they used the downstaires bed again:confused:
I'm not giving away who it was , if they read this they can go public:D
btw. nice and cosy up top as i'm typing this .French Ardeche region and still 18deg cel outside.

Oh nice one the only reason I ask is I'm off to Belgium in November and we hate sleeping downstairs but expect it to be far too cold to sleep up top in november

Possibly! Definitely a topper as a bit of secondary glazing but yep you might be more comfy downstairs.

Funny as on the Champagne meet we where convincing someone that told us they always sleep downstaires that they should go up top .
The next mornig they said they actually sleep up top but the next night they used the downstaires bed again:confused:
I'm not giving away who it was , if they read this they can go public:D
btw. nice and cosy up top as i'm typing this .French Ardeche region and still 18deg cel outside.
Lucky you mate it's about 5 degrees in Liverpool and very wet

Possibly! Definitely a topper as a bit of secondary glazing but yep you might be more comfy downstairs.

We've looked at these toppers probably next year now as when we get back the van is getting put to bed for the winter

In the U.K. We used ours most of the time but then again it was short trips and we needed canvas to be dry when we got home as couldn't raise roof to dry as we park Cali under our flat and only just have 2 metres. On this trip it's the only thing we haven't used but would if it was colder but not so cold as to move downstairs.
Useful but not essential most of the time

We use our Cali all the year round, and we seem to always sleep 'upstairs'. We both like the airflow through the vents up there, and it's nice to keep it organised and tidy 'downstairs'. We use a quality down duvet, so we're warm and toasty when we need to be. We have slept downstairs, and it was very comfy, but for us, we prefer the airiness of sleeping 'up top'.

If you are anywhere near Ypres on the 10th/11th pop over and say hello to the old girl in the blue T5 :D