Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad Blue levels etc... Nowt in my manual...

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just got a T6 and trying to understand the ad blue tank... I assume you cant check the levels until an alert comes on? Any clues how long a full (Is it 13 ltrs, my instruction manuals says nothing!) will last in terms of mileage?

If you look on the fuel gauge on the dash you can flick between fuel and adblue. A full adblue tank should last around 4-5000 miles. You’ll start getting warnings around 1500 miles...

Just got a T6 and trying to understand the ad blue tank... I assume you cant check the levels until an alert comes on? Any clues how long a full (Is it 13 ltrs, my instruction manuals says nothing!) will last in terms of mileage?
How long is a piece of string?
it all depends on the type of driving etc: so many factors have to be taken into account. High speed driving minimises use, slow Stop/Start increases usage.
As stated, on the Dashboard MFD there should be a page showing the possible range based on past driving style. Remember, when you run out the engine will continue to run, but if stopped will not re-start until the Adblue tank is refilled.

Do you have the MFSW ? Is so you can toggle through the various menus fuel consumption, oil temperature, etc and there’s one that shows add blue Miles left / Gallons to full capacity. (Us gallons)

So when showing range (fuel) you can swap that display to ad blue is what you are saying?
Yes, I can. I have the MFSW in an Ocean - so not sure if that makes a difference.

Apparently, over filling can lead to an expensive workshop visit. So why not get one of these:

20191202_204210.jpg
20191202_203617.jpg
20191202_204144.jpg
20191202_204113.jpg20191202_204035.jpg20191202_204008.jpg
I don't know how much they cost as I was given this one when I recently bought a new Cali. They are designed specifically to prevent the over filling of the Adblue tank. Get yourself a 10litre drum of Adblue and top up the tank when the MFD gives the first warning of the remaining range. The long pipe on the vehicle end is designed to stop the over filling issue occuring.

One of these should save any worry about how much to put in. Just connect up and top up. It will stop filling when it's reached the correct level.

As for the range of a full tank, I really can't help you with that. All I can say is our previous T6 seemed to go for thousands of miles before needing a fill up. However that vehicle was subject to the Adblue recall just before we sold it. That recall would have resulted in increased Adblue usage. Our new T6 has only done 400 miles so I don't know how thisty it is yet.

Why is overfilling an issue sorry.. Does it not just slop over and make a corrosive mess that can be washed down?

Apparently, over filling can lead to an expensive workshop visit. So why not get one of these:

View attachment 53167
View attachment 53173
View attachment 53168
View attachment 53169View attachment 53170View attachment 53171
I don't know how much they cost as I was given this one when I recently bought a new Cali. They are designed specifically to prevent the over filling of the Adblue tank. Get yourself a 10litre drum of Adblue and top up the tank when the MFD gives the first warning of the remaining range. The long pipe on the vehicle end is designed to stop the over filling issue occuring.

One of these should save any worry about how much to put in. Just connect up and top up. It will stop filling when it's reached the correct level.

As for the range of a full tank, I really can't help you with that. All I can say is our previous T6 seemed to go for thousands of miles before needing a fill up. However that vehicle was subject to the Adblue recall just before we sold it. That recall would have resulted in increased Adblue usage. Our new T6 has only done 400 miles so I don't know how thisty it is yet.
They are about £9 on ebay! tempting but is it really needed and more to lug around??

Why is overfilling an issue sorry.. Does it not just slop over and make a corrosive mess that can be washed down?
Search above for adblue and have a long read.
in short, the tank is measured using an ultrasonic sensor and it needs an air gap at the top so never brim the tank, some get away with it but it’s Russian roulette.
once you have used about a third the display will show a minimum and maximum fill amount.
tip= temporally change the units to metric to get the fill amount in litres

I wait to it shows 2:25 gallons or 10 litres a tip from @GrannyJen thst saves all the worry and messing about (by the way it can also be a problem if you don’t put the minimum amount in as it sometimes doesn’t register the fill - as others have said Russian roulette - hence Grannyjens tip).
There are also several Vw Cali ad blue videos on YouTube which I watched before my first fill.
Did my second fill up (10 litres) last weekend with 8600 on the mileage - this fill according to mfd now says 6000 to next ad blue.

Hope that helps :thumb

I make a note of the max refill, convert to litres, and fill at a pump. It cuts out before the max is reached, but if for some reason it doesn't, I'm ready to stop filling.

Adblue at the pump is cheaper than cans, and easier to refill too.

I think it is a question of getting used to it. Once you know how much Adblue it consumes with your driving style, you can make a note of the mileage to know when roughly you need a refill. In reality, I wait for the warning, then fill 10 litres and I'm sorted for a while.
The only time I refill earlier is before a long trip, out of peace of mind, but even then not necessary as every pump station in Europe has Adblue. 5l is enough to get you home from anywhere in the EU.

just messed with display and now showing 4000 miles .. thought I had filled it nearly... anyway thanks for all above and have ordered the vw filler pipe thingy bobs for future use at home ...

View attachment 53167
View attachment 53173
View attachment 53168
View attachment 53169View attachment 53170View attachment 53171

Ordered ebay thanks!!

I was a bit concerned when I bought my T6 as the adblue bit was new to me and I had read some alarmist forum posts about this. I thought about fillers etc and pig pee bottles cluttering my garage. In the end I bit the bullet and parked by an adblue pump, asked in the cash place if it was okay as it was a commercial bay and then I filled it. I had previously checked the volume required and it was simple as there is a read out and it filled at a manageable pace, in any case the adblue pump had a cutoff. No drama and simple and much easier than playing about with plastic bottles and cheaper too! (edit) Actually, I don't think there is anything in the manual about refuelling with diesel either?

Last edited:
I have kept records of my adblue fills. The best range I got was 7000 miles (lots of motorway miles), the worst was 3500 miles (much towing).

I’ve had the software update (filled tank just beforehand) and it’s looking like the tank will do about 4000 miles before I take it to a dealer for my first fill since the update. I will run the tank till it reports a range less than 500 ish miles.

Up till now I’ve always filled from a pump (local petrol station has one, but have often used motorway truck pumps).

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

How was a design where you can’t simply fill up a tank to the top signed off?
An ultrasonic level sensor can’t be the best solution if it makes refilling a consumable liquid by the owner anything less than straightforward.

sounds like they want you to do it via dealers!! Whats this software update people keep mentioning. is that done at service time automatically?

sounds like they want you to do it via dealers!! Whats this software update people keep mentioning. is that done at service time automatically?
Yes, if required for your vehicle. As it increases Adblue consumption you get vouchers for, I believe 8 Adblue refills at any dealership.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
The VW T6 is a commercial vehicle first and foremost and infrequent dealer visits are surely part of that scenario as are many and varied drivers/operators. Filling up the correct amount at a pump has to be the preferred operator option, though it may take a time for the network of Adblue pumps to match the demand - if they ever do.

Tom

Last edited: