Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad Blue levels etc... Nowt in my manual...

When our previous T6 Beach had it's Adblue recall, I asked if I could take the free refills there and then in 10 litre drums to save me the hassle of a visit to the dealers every time it needed a refill. I was told that wasn't possible as every fill has to be recorded as a job with the mileage the vehicle has done. Why would that be necessary? Well the only reason that I can think of is that VW are using T6 owners as research guinea pigs to see if their emissions fix is having the desired effect.

@Erbster, I would be careful leaving a refill until the range is only 500 miles. I had an issue with our previous T6 Beach whilst on holiday in Italy two years ago. The Adblue tank was low having warned me so some time earlier. I had purchased a 10 litre drum from a garage that day but as it still had several hundred miles of range I decided to deal with the top up that evening. During that day I visited the ancient hill top town of Volterra. After the visit, I left the carpark which involved going down a steep incline and then up a fairly steep hill. At this point the engine lost power and went into what seemed like a limp home mode. It wouldn't excellerate and ran in a lumpy fashion. My only thought at the time was Adblue shortage so I made my way to the nearest garage and topped up whilst leaving the engine running. When full I switched off and after a few seconds re-started the engine. The problem had cleared itself and there was no trace of it recorded when the next service was carried out. The problem never reoccured.
Whether it was actually an Adblue shortage that caused this, I shall never know. However I now fill the tank when it gives its first warning.

Yes, if required for your vehicle. As it increases Adblue consumption you get vouchers for, I believe 8 Adblue refills at any dealership.
And an instant AdBlue refill at a commercial van service centre takes 45 minutes instead of 2 minutes at the pump. From now on I’ll use my free AdBlue refills by getting it topped up at every service.

Last edited:
I think that the overfill issues can be exaggerated. As I understand it this refers to brimming the tank ie filling right up the spout. At a pump it won’t overfill unless you click multiple times whilst raising the nozzle. Just fill to first click with the nozzle properly in the neck.

Manual filling is more risky and best done by adding a volume within the range showing in the van.

I think that the overfill issues can be exaggerated. As I understand it this refers to brimming the tank ie filling right up the spout. At a pump it won’t overfill unless you click multiple times whilst raising the nozzle. Just fill to first click with the nozzle properly in the neck.

Manual filling is more risky and best done by adding a volume within the range showing in the van.
I must say that I've nearly always used a garage pump and never had any issues.

I must say that I've nearly always used a garage pump and never had any issues.
Do you fill until the pump clicks out, or do you refill a set dose?

My two observations since learning about the danger of overfilling have been that the pump clicks out as the max refill is reached.

I think it is a question of getting used to it. Once you know how much Adblue it consumes with your driving style, you can make a note of the mileage to know when roughly you need a refill. In reality, I wait for the warning, then fill 10 litres and I'm sorted for a while.
The only time I refill earlier is before a long trip, out of peace of mind, but even then not necessary as every pump station in Europe has Adblue. 5l is enough to get you home from anywhere in the EU.

Just got a T6 and trying to understand the ad blue tank... I assume you cant check the levels until an alert comes on? Any clues how long a full (Is it 13 ltrs, my instruction manuals says nothing!) will last in terms of mileage?
Hi Birty,
well I’ve just filled mine, had a warning 2 weeks a go on the dash informing me I had 1200 miles before top up, between 2 gallon and 2.75 gallon, which equates to between 9 and 12 litres. I’ve now done another 300 miles and decided to fill the tank. Bought 10 litres, used it all, the tank took it easily so I presume with what was left in the tank it would be around a 15 litre tank when empty. Haven’t left it empty and don’t intend to would be a big mistake so I just refill with around 800 miles remaining.
Hope this helps !!

I think it is a question of getting used to it. Once you know how much Adblue it consumes with your driving style, you can make a note of the mileage to know when roughly you need a refill. In reality, I wait for the warning, then fill 10 litres and I'm sorted for a while.
The only time I refill earlier is before a long trip, out of peace of mind, but even then not necessary as every pump station in Europe has Adblue. 5l is enough to get you home from anywhere in the EU.
We had a problem in Spain finding AD blue, and had to detour a couple of hundred miles to find a VW dealership.

if you have the VW adblue software update you should get 8 full tank refills f.o.c. as a goodwill gesture - they give you a form and tick it off each time they refill you. never had a problem with adblue, its very straightforward to do; it is in our manual but you do actually have to read it!

My two observations since learning about the danger of overfilling have been that the pump clicks out as the max refill is reached.
I did fill that van to the brim once but only once. Then I read about the over filling issue so ever since I've always put it a little less than to MFD says just to be on the safe side.

Hi. I am regularly reading the tx-forum.de. Nobody has mentioned a problem with overfilling - neither at a petrol station nor manually.

Why is overfilling an issue sorry.. Does it not just slop over and make a corrosive mess that can be washed down?
No
Over filling causes immense problems causing a main dealer visit or tow in
Advise a screw in refillable bottle for refills
We got one for my wife’s evoque and it’s a standard screw fitting .. perfect
Avoid expensive and complicated VW product

When our previous T6 Beach had it's Adblue recall, I asked if I could take the free refills there and then in 10 litre drums to save me the hassle of a visit to the dealers every time it needed a refill. I was told that wasn't possible as every fill has to be recorded as a job with the mileage the vehicle has done. Why would that be necessary? Well the only reason that I can think of is that VW are using T6 owners as research guinea pigs to see if their emissions fix is having the desired effect.

@Erbster, I would be careful leaving a refill until the range is only 500 miles. I had an issue with our previous T6 Beach whilst on holiday in Italy two years ago. The Adblue tank was low having warned me so some time earlier. I had purchased a 10 litre drum from a garage that day but as it still had several hundred miles of range I decided to deal with the top up that evening. During that day I visited the ancient hill top town of Volterra. After the visit, I left the carpark which involved going down a steep incline and then up a fairly steep hill. At this point the engine lost power and went into what seemed like a limp home mode. It wouldn't excellerate and ran in a lumpy fashion. My only thought at the time was Adblue shortage so I made my way to the nearest garage and topped up whilst leaving the engine running. When full I switched off and after a few seconds re-started the engine. The problem had cleared itself and there was no trace of it recorded when the next service was carried out. The problem never reoccured.
Whether it was actually an Adblue shortage that caused this, I shall never know. However I now fill the tank when it gives its first warning.

Thanks for the heads up, Borris. Lots of shorter journeys just now; I’ll go to the dealer soon. Anyone know if I can get adblue fill done a VW car dealer; I drive past one on my way to work, but the VW commercial dealer is out of my way.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Reading this with interest. I recently topped up my Cali with Ad Blue after watching several you tube videos.
I bought a 10litre container and topped up with around half. At that time the display was telling me that I had 900miles worth of ad blue left.
But the digital display on the dash is still showing 900miles worth of Ad Blue left. Is there something I should do to reset the digital display or have I possibly put too much in not allowing the sensor give an accurate reading?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding getting an Ad Blue fill at a VW car dealer, our local VW car dealer booked the van in OK. But wouldn't do the fill as one of the 8 complimentary ones, as the car and van businesses are separate. Took it to the van centre instead.

Reading this with interest. I recently topped up my Cali with Ad Blue after watching several you tube videos.
I bought a 10litre container and topped up with around half. At that time the display was telling me that I had 900miles worth of ad blue left.
But the digital display on the dash is still showing 900miles worth of Ad Blue left. Is there something I should do to reset the digital display or have I possibly put too much in not allowing the sensor give an accurate reading?
I was under the impression that after Topping Up you had to turn the Ignition On for 30/60 secs before starting the engine to Reset the Adblue system. I don’t have a T6 myself but would have thought the details on how to top up would be in the handbook.

Hi Ian, I would put the whole 10 litres in the tank. I’ve just refilled with 800 miles remainiing until top up and it took all 10 litres with ease. Started the engine and all was well the sensor had reset no problem. I’ve now filled up with adblue twice and had no problems ! Hope this helps ?

I’m struggling to understand why people refill with large 10 litre plastic containers and tubes.

Just pop along to the nearest filling station with an AdBlue pump and use that. It’s as easy as filling with diesel. The only significant difference is you often have to go to the part of the filling station where HGVs refuel.

I’m struggling to understand why people refill with large 10 litre plastic containers and tubes.

Just pop along to the nearest filling station with an AdBlue pump and use that. It’s as easy as filling with diesel. The only significant difference is you often have to go to the part of the filling station where HGVs refuel.
Also it's cheaper.

Unti

Until pump clicks out, never had problems.