Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad Blue - topping up ...

Strong

Strong

Chris & Karen
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The T6 is the first vehicle we've owned that uses Ad Blue.

I have a long trip to France coming up and the MFD says I have 3500 AdBlue range, so to save me from getting down below 2000 mile range and getting all anxious, blah, blah, can anybody help:

1. What does the MFD display mean when it says "Min 1.00gal - Max 1.75gal"?

2. Do I just tip it in til it reaches the brim, or do I need to measure it in?

Many thanks, awesome collective.
C

I was anxious about the adding add blue on trips our 1st fill up waited until the max add was just over 10 litres and put a full 10 litre bottle in no part bottle to store leak out etc

I was anxious about the adding add blue on trips our 1st fill up waited until the max add was just over 10 litres and put a full 10 litre bottle in no part bottle to store leak out etc

I see, so the max of 1.75 gal is the key part of the MFD display. Thanks, yes I might do that.

Incidentally, did you change the MFD in some way so it displays in litres as opposed to gallons?

did you change the MFD in some way so it displays in litres as opposed to gallons?
No would be good if you could not looked into this as Add blue sold in litres not gallons I just googled the conversion think 10 litres is just over 2 gallons I topped up at add max 2.25 gallons but cant recall 100%

No would be good if you could not looked into this as Add blue sold in litres not gallons I just googled the conversion think 10 litres is just over 2 gallons I topped up at add max 2.25 gallons but cant recall 100%

Also, are we correct to assume that it is definitely UK gals? It may make more sense for them to be using US gals as the UK imperial system is officially defunct.

Also, are we correct to assume that it is definitely UK gals? It may make more sense for them to be using US gals as the UK imperial system is officially defunct.
Sorry, but you buy fuel in litres not gallons so why confuse yourself?

I would assume imperial as the Cali is not sold in the US. In fact I doubt there are many VW diesel units of any description being sold in the US at this moment.

I can see your quandary.

If it was me I would get a couple of 5 litre or 10 litre containers, fill my ad blu tank to the brim and take a bit more along with me. I think it is going to be trial and error for a little while until you get used to capacity and consumption.

Thank you. Perhaps you'd also like to add, "Read the manual."
Well no one else has answered your comment so I will.
Yes - Read the Handbook, Use the Search Function on the Forum and then if you still cannot understand it then ask a question.

As far as the MFD is concerned. If you use the Settings on the MFD menu then you can select Gallons or Litres.
If you select Litres then ALL volumes will be in Litres and calculations also. Or you keep it to Gallons and do some mental arithmetic 1 Gallon = 4.55 Litres.

snip: If it was me I would get a couple of 5 litre or 10 litre containers, fill my ad blu tank to the brim and take a bit more along with me. I think it is going to be trial and error for a little while until you get used to capacity and consumption.

Good plan but the reason I was asking if it was okay to brim the AdBlue tank is because the MFD gives a "maximum" ... not clear

Gallons Vs litres
MFD settings page
Units, then Consumption/Distance

Change to a metric option and the AdBlue volume goes to litres, BUT distance goes to km, speed readout to kph, consumption to litres per 100km...

There is a US gallons option too.

Didn't seem a way of having it in miles and litres...

AdBlue will be available in Europe too...

Edit - too slow with my typing @WelshGas got there first :thumb

I'm being picked on here! I have a couple of genuine queries which, following a reasonably diligent check, I don't think have been answered specifically before ...

Well no one else has answered your comment so I will.
Yes - Read the Handbook, Use the Search Function on the Forum and then if you still cannot understand it then ask a question.

Which I did!

As far as the MFD is concerned. If you use the Settings on the MFD menu then you can select Gallons or Litres.
If you select Litres then ALL volumes will be in Litres and calculations also. Or you keep it to Gallons and do some mental arithmetic 1 Gallon = 4.55 Litres.

Thanks, I can do both of those things!

Peace, out!

I'm being picked on here! I have a couple of genuine queries which, following a reasonably diligent check, I don't think have been answered specifically before ...

Which I did!

Thanks, I can do both of those things!

Peace, out!
Hey. Don't be put off. You learn to laugh at the forum rules police! :)
If you can find an ad-blu pump at a petrol station then you could just fill to the brim (it'll stop automatically like the normal fuel pumps) and then you'll have peace of mind.

Let me be precise. My questions were these:

What does the MFD display mean?
"Min and Max" would seem to suggest that I should, immediately, put in a minimum of 1 gal and no more than 1.75 gal of AdBlue

Or

Is this just all just misleading VW nonsense and I'm okay to brim the AdBlue tank?

I genuinely don't know the answer ...

Sorry for being imprecise up to this point. And I sincerely apologise for wasting members' time if this has been answered before.

Good plan but the reason I was asking if it was okay to brim the AdBlue tank is because the MFD gives a "maximum" ... not clear
I wouldn't adopt the 'brim the tank' method as Adblue is very corrosive so any risk of spills is a bad idea.
Unless you plan a huge mileage with no opportunity to buy Adblue in one trip no need to worry.
I'd just check the remaining mileage figure against a planned trip with a bit of safety margin.

We got to a message that said 600 miles left when we were on holiday in Wales. The message wouldn't stop binging up on the screen and was particularly annoying. And the min/max thing - what is that all about! We bought a small bottle of AdBlue at a garage (which was about 1 or 2 litres, can't remember, and cost £9.99) and it didn't even stop the warning - it kept coming up on the screen that we needed the same min/max. So we stopped at another garage and bought a 10 litre bottle for £14.99, which all went in without overflowing and the message went away. I would say get a 10 litre bottle, which is much cheaper than trying to buy smaller bottles, and put in as much as you can. Then you won't have to worry when you're on holiday.

@Strong
Perfectly reasonable question...
1.75gal = 8litres
Buy a 10 litre (Halfords £14) but leave it until the day before you go before topping it up. By them, I bet you'll squeeze it all in. But the containers pour quite slowly, so take your time towards the end.
As for corrosiveness....
  • If AdBlue liquid is spilled on automotive paint you should rinse the surface with water and cleaned from paint. In case AdBlue is left to dry and crystallise on the paint, surface corrosion might take place.
So do it carefully, shouldn't be an issue...

EDIT - WARNING
There's another thread that warns of overfilling the ad-blue tank which causes issues. Do not attempt to squeeze in more than the MFD is telling you!

Last edited:
Let me be precise. My questions were these:

What does the MFD display mean?
"Min and Max" would seem to suggest that I should, immediately, put in a minimum of 1 gal and no more than 1.75 gal of AdBlue

Or

Is this just all just misleading VW nonsense and I'm okay to brim the AdBlue tank?

I genuinely don't know the answer ...

Sorry for being imprecise up to this point. And I sincerely apologise for wasting members' time if this has been answered before.

Actually it would rattle my brains, although that is not difficult, and I think a fair question and a lot of members would find the answers quite informative. There has been a lot of discussion on Ad Blu but for most it is still a new product and still a lot of questions to be answered.

I always fill up at a Truck gas station, they have adblu at a pump there so you just do as with diesel, fill until it clicks. Its half price of diesel price.

@Strong
Perfectly reasonable question...
1.75gal = 8litres
Buy a 10 litre (Halfords £14) but leave it until the day before you go before topping it up. By them, I bet you'll squeeze it all in. But the containers pour quite slowly, so take your time towards the end.
As for corrosiveness....
  • If AdBlue liquid is spilled on automotive paint you should rinse the surface with water and cleaned from paint. In case AdBlue is left to dry and crystallise on the paint, surface corrosion might take place.
So do it carefully, shouldn't be an issue...
Just a small add on -

If a bad spill make sure that any Adblue that went under the body is washed off, from personal experience it's not always what you see that does the corrosion damage.

Another point to note is that Adblue forecourt pumps have a magnetic safety cut out that won't let you fill cans, just incase anyone thinking of stocking up on cheaper HGV pump supplies.

So does the 'can' need to be magnetic or non-magnetic for the pump to work? Just use the appropriate 'can' :thumb

So does the 'can' need to be magnetic or non-magnetic for the pump to work? Just use the appropriate 'can' :thumb
I can only refer back to when I had HGV's.
There is a magnetic collar in the vehicles Adblue filler neck. To stop accidentally filling a fuel tank with Adblue, now that would be a horrendous cost to rectify.
If you put the Adblue nozzle in the fuel pipe you can't turn it on. Wouldn't advise trying it.
I had/have one which I used to slip over the nozzle to fill cans (25ltr ones)