Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad Blue - topping up ...

I've managed to fill up from two garages that sell from pumps and 10l containers. HGV drivers that use the plastic containers tend to leave them lying around with the funnel unused. I picked one of these up so I could potentially store 10l using the now empty container.

.me.

I think AdBlue is one of those things that takes on huge significance til you've done it a couple of times, then it's no big deal & just another routine liquid to add like diesel or screen wash. I agree it's not pleasant stuff, so care is required, and unlike screen wash (but a lot like diesel) your van won't start when it's run out ... :D

I bought a big bottle from a petrol station forecourt when I was under 500-miles left & it swallowed the lot. Had just bought my second bottle at Morrisons but my Dealer kindly filled it f.o.c whilst in for first Service.

I'm going to try the pumps next time.

I've managed to fill up from two garages that sell from pumps and 10l containers. HGV drivers that use the plastic containers tend to leave them lying around with the funnel unused. I picked one of these up so I could potentially store 10l using the now empty container.

.me.
Don't forget it has a shelf life.:eek:

Last edited:
Don't forget it has a shelf life.
How does that square with owners who store their vans for winter or have a low annual mileage?

Mostly a case of VW making it complicated to know what's going on regarding Adblue tank level.
Simple direct info. on what's in the tank would suffice. We all manage to understand a fuel gauge but not it seems an Adblue equivalent.

Hello, Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, I have read loads of Ad Blue Forums and connot find this info.
The display was saying 700ml Ad Blue 1gal to 1.5 gal,
So I have added 6 and a half litres. I needed to do it in two sessions one day apart as I didn't have enough.
I

It has not registered on the display. First time I have had this problem.
Any advice would be very welcome.

Having been running our T6 since the end of 2016 and have now lost count of the adbue fill-ups. I still have not found a pump locally so have only used 10litre bottle. Apart from the 1st fill which was in Cornwall have filled at home I wait until the Max show just over 2 gallons (rather than distance) and put in the 10litre bottle which gives a range of 5k. - so it is working out about 30litres a year/15k.

Hello, Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, I have read loads of Ad Blue Forums and connot find this info.
So I have added 6 and a half litres. I needed to do it in two sessions one day apart as I didn't have enough.
I

Should register when ignition turned on, doesn't show any change as you fill up if ignition on when filling.
You can bring it up using the display menu up/down keys.

Tend to think you have a problem needing a VW fix if no Adblue info found.

My understanding your van was saying add adblue 1 gallon (min) to a 1.5 gal (max) if you put 1/2 of 6-1/2 litres in then you put less than the minimum in ie under a gallon so it is not registered and mucked up the readings. @VW Guru may be able to advise with his dealer knowledge

I would think that if you did it in two separate top-ups then perhaps the first batch wasn't enough to move the gauge. However, if you've since added some more in a second batch (6.5 L total) then that should've done it. Disclaimer: I've only ever added a whole 10L bottle in one go, turned it off & on again, and it's always been fine.

If you've had the ignition off & back on, and ideally have driven the van around a bit to give it all a shake, then perhaps you need to call the Dealer for help now - it's possible the engine *maybe* won't start if/when the van thinks the AdBlue tank is empty.

Call VW assist to come and have a look, they’ll probably put some more add blue in, then if there’s still an issue you can hand on heart say that it was filled by vw assist and still didn’t work, they sort out a trip to the dealer if they say the van should not be driven

My understanding your van was saying add adblue 1 gallon (min) to a 1.5 gal (max) if you put 1/2 of 6-1/2 litres in then you put less than the minimum in ie under a gallon so it is not registered and mucked up the readings. @VW Guru may be able to advise with his dealer knowledge

Hi yes you are correct if you put in less than the minimum then the ecu will not register the change so at least the minimum must be put in in one go. If the ad blue has been put in in two stages a adaptation drive may have to be carried out to relearn the values. First get the engine up to operating temperature then while driving in third gear accelerate from 1500rpm to just over 3000 rpm then let the vehicle naturally slow back down until the engine is under 1500rpm again and accelerate to just over 3000 rpm and repeat this three times then drive for around 15 minutes with a steady throttle at around 2500 rpm in what ever gear the road laws allow. Of course when carrying out this process always obey the road laws and speed limits, try to find a quiet road for the first stage. If this does not reset the level then the vehicle will need workshop attention. On a side note if say you have 3000 miles left in your tank and it suddenly drops to 600 miles remaining do not top up if the drop is sudden and not gradual then this indicates a advise system fault and will need a workshop to look at it

You must also have your left fore finger up your right nostril and be humming rule britannia to complete the process. :)

I feel you should be humming something more German :D

ideally have driven the van around a bit to give it all a shake

:thumb Like the sign says;

Available here:
- Free advice, not good
- Good advice, not free

Thank you, 1.5 gal is 6.8 litres hence how much I put in.!

Last time I did it , the screen notification changed when I drove, this time it hasn't.

I will do some maths and do about 1000 miles and then top up again I think. I live a long way from a dealer so am reluctant to go on a whim.

Thank you, 1.5 gal is 6.8 litres hence how much I put in.!

Last time I did it , the screen notification changed when I drove, this time it hasn't.

I will do some maths and do about 1000 miles and then top up again I think. I live a long way from a dealer so am reluctant to go on a whim.
After filling, did you leave the ignition on for at least 30 seconds before starting?

oYes I did, and thank you for all the suggestions. I bought 10 litres and just started puring it in, it took it all!!! and now has registered. Sometimes it is tricky for an inexperienced owner to tease out what are the important rules and which are the guidlines.
Adding Adblue sounded so complicated, that I proceeded with too much caution. Now I feel free to add it just litening to the sound of the tank, so I know when to stop. Brilliant. One worry out of the way 200 more to go!

Reactions: Loz
I topped up with AdBlue at a pump in France yesterday. The pump was designed for cars, not trucks, and was super-slow, delivering about 10cl per second. It must have taken about 15 minutes to refill ten litres! At least the price was reasonable - 60 cents per litre.